Further use of nuclear weapons would be ‘horrific,’ Ban says on International Day | World Defense

Further use of nuclear weapons would be ‘horrific,’ Ban says on International Day

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
United Nations News Centre - Further use of nuclear weapons would be ‘horrific,’ Ban says on International Day

United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today highlighted that 2015 marks the 70th anniversary of the first and last use of a nuclear weapon in war, as he renewed his call for complete global nuclear disarmament.

“The norm against the use of nuclear weapons – the most destructive weapons ever created, with potentially unparalleled human costs – has stood strong for seven decades,” Mr. Ban said in a message for the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons, observed annually on 26 September.

“But the only absolute guarantee that they are never used again is through their total elimination,” he added.

The UN chief recalled that the international community has proclaimed the goal of a world free of nuclear weapons, but that unfortunately there are growing rifts between Member States about how and when to achieve it.

“This was on stark display during the Review Conference of the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons in May of this year,” Mr. Ban noted. “I call on all States to engage constructively to find a way forward.”

He further underlined that the elimination of nuclear weapons would also free up vast amounts of resources that could be used to implement the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted yesterday by world leaders at the General Assembly.

The new framework includes 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that aim to build on the work of the historic Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), to wipe out poverty, fight inequality and tackle climate change over the next 15 years.

“The consequences of any further use of nuclear weapons, whether intentional or by mistake, would be horrific,” Mr. Ban warned, adding that when it comes to the common objective of nuclear disarmament, the global community must act now.

Steve Dawson

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't see there being a nuclear-weapon free World any time soon. If ever civilised democratic states needed a deterrent, its now. International tensions have been ramping up for a few years, in particular the Russians seem to have regressed in terms of international diplomacy and their attitude towards the West. A nuclear exchange will cause incredible damage to our already strained ecosystem. Its a problem with plenty of factors to consider, both historical and current, and its unlikely Ban Ki-moon will change much with his comments.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Like @Steve Dawson I also don't see a nuclear-free world because of the mentality of the world leaders. Nuclear weapons are the most destructive and most powerful when used in wars so the military generals would always prefer nuclear weapons. And if there is a demand then naturally the supplies will not be far behind. I just don't know if the UN can do something about controlling nuclear weapons.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I just cannot see any nuclear nation stepping away from nuclear munitions at all and I really cannot see if there was anyway that the world could step away from them.

A nuclear weapon is like the final solution, the ace up a nations sleeve so to speak and while I do not wish for the destruction of what was seen at the end of WWII to happen again, having nuclear weapons in a nations arsenal is a pretty big fear factor to any opposing nation that wants to wage war with you and thus generates that little bit of respect.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
Even if all civilized nations disposed of their nuclear weapons, who would really trust North Korea and Iran to do so? It's ludicrous for any nation to consider getting rid of the only real threat we have to hold over the heads of those who push and push.