General Feel-Good Story | World Defense

General Feel-Good Story

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
My friends on another forum just posted this wonderful article that can be found by clicking HERE

This is the type of story is a feel-good one, one you mainly don't see. It devolves into a topic on chivalry and doing the right thing, but the truth of the matter is war changes all of us. Never has someone went in who's the same coming back out. There's always something left in transition.

This relationship is one of them. They're not always bad transitions!

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Great story mate. Thanks for the share. Reminds me a WWI story, the Christmas Truce between the Germans and the British. They shared food and celebrated together. They even held join funerals to honor dead soldiers from both sides. Although fighting kept in other parts of the battlefield. A small group took it upon themselves to stop fighting for a little bit and forget the war.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Another friend of ours of mine brought up how that could be also misconstrued as treason - helping and abiding/abetting the known enemy and eventually those soldiers would end up killing more on either side. I'd like to take this for what it is - a general feel good story. Too many negative connotations.

Radix24

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Philippines
eminds me a WWI story, the Christmas Truce between the Germans and the British.

I watched a documentary of that and I was happy that it happened. It was sad that it did not continue on the succeeding years. It was combat and bloodshed. Like Shimus said, it is misconstrued as treason. The higher ups had to recreate propaganda again to make sure the soldiers want to keep killing the enemy.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
And that's the sole problem with war. Nobody by nature wants to fight each other to the death these days anymore. We don't need to live like that. But we ARE living like that. Why? Because War and expansion of territory is the best way to assert authority over the world as it currently stands. We really should focus all those war funds on mutual-programs that make the countries work together, not divide apart.

This is something I believe touches on that. Human nature, I mean. We want to help, we want to do what's considered "right" most of the time but other people can view it however they want and the higher ups sure don't want this happening. Money to be made. Propaganda to push out.