Greece impounds military vehicles bound for Libya | World Defense

Greece impounds military vehicles bound for Libya

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Greece impounds military vehicles bound for Libya
Nicholas de Larrinaga, London and Theodore L Valmas, Athens - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
22 July 2015
Key Points
  • Greek authorities claim to have seized 16 armoured vehicles bound for Libya, in breach of UN sanctions
  • The truth behind the matter, however, is far from clear
Greece has impounded 16 armoured vehicles destined for Libya, the Piraeus Sixth Customs Directorate announced on 21 July.

p1638493.jpg

A Streit Group Typhoon mine-resistant ambush protected vehicle (MRAP) seized by Greek customs officials in the port of Piraeus. The vehicles were reportedly bound for Libya, in breach of a UN arms embargo against the country. In total 16 vehicles were seized, including eight Typhoons. (Greek Public Revenue office)

According to a customs spokesman, the vehicles contravene the UN embargo on deliveries of military and paramilitary equipment to Libya.

The customs office announced that the vehicles included eight Streit Group Typhoon 4x4 mine-resistant ambush protected vehicles (MRAPs), five armoured Toyota Land Cruisers, two armoured BMW sedans, and one armoured Mercedes sedan.

According to the Greek announcement, the armoured vehicles had been transported on MV Tychy , which had called at La Spezia, Italy, prior to calling at Piraeus, and was scheduled to travel to Turkey and then Libya.
Greece impounds military vehicles bound for Libya - IHS Jane's 360

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I think that embargo on Libya is meant to prevent escalation of the ongoing civil war. If armaments and weaponry will be coming in then it is like adding fuel to fire. My question now is this - what will happen to those military vehicles that are impounded, will they be returned to their port of origin (after paying fines) or will they be confiscated in favor of the Greek government?