Greek and Turkish jets harass each other over international waters | World Defense

Greek and Turkish jets harass each other over international waters

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Two Greek F-16 jets intercepted two F-16 jets belonging to the Turkish Air Force on Saturday, according to a press release from the Turkish General Staff Headquarters. According to the report, the fighter jets were on a training flight in international air space over the Mediterranean Sea.

Turkish General Staff said that the Turkish military planes were intercepted by the Greek planes for a total of 2 minutes and 40 seconds, prompting the Turkish jets to respond in kind.

Additionally, three Greek F-16 jets intercepted a Turkish Maritime Patrol Aircraft over the Aegean Sea in international air space.

This interception adds to the lingering tension between the two NATO allies over the Aegean Sea, a region which remains a major source of friction between the two neighbors.

Meanwhile, Syrian air missile defense systems maintained a radar lock on a Turkish F-16 jet conducting a patrol flight over the Hatay-Osman-Gaziantep provinces by the border.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Two NATO members harassing each other! Is there a reason why are they doing this in international space and water?

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
Two NATO members harassing each other! Is there a reason why are they doing this in international space and water?
Just historical rivalries between Turkey and Greece, they don't really like each other.

Rakan.SA

Reactions
591 1 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Just historical rivalries between Turkey and Greece, they don't really like each other.
a friend of mine who went to Greece a lot tells me its like arabs and israelis. thats how much they hate each other lol

Ahmed JO

Reactions
179 0 0
Country
Jordan
a friend of mine who went to Greece a lot tells me its like arabs and israelis. thats how much they hate each other lol
Well the negative side of this is that Greeks tend to dislike Arabs since they're mostly Muslim which in their minds is the same as the 'Turkish enemy' or something like that (not to mention all the Arab illegal migrants who cause some trouble there), and Turks aren't crazy about us either. I would feel uncomfortable living in either of those countries as an Arab.

BigBIgFan

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
From a tactical point of view this type of thing is normal between countries that aren't friendly. For example the United States intercepted two long range Russian bombers off their west coast a year ago. The U.S. claimed the bombers were in U.S. airspace while Russia claimed they were over international waters.

What was likely going on is that Russia was testing the detection capability of the U.S. and measuring their response, and the U.S. knows this. It's a game of cat and mouse that goes on all the time, only the average citizen will never hear about it. I wouldn't read too much into this news report, or others like it, unless a plane is actually shot down or confirmed to have dropped ordinance. It's all politics until things get real.

Do you think either of these governments would sacrifice a fighter jet and pilot to escalate things further?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
NATO allies. The alliance is fractured. Anyway, apparently this isn't the first Greek-Turk aerial conflict.

Turkey And Greece Had Large Number Of Dogfights - Business Insider
Confrontations between Turkish and Greek military warplanes escalated sharply in 2014, Metin Gurcan reports for Al-Monitor citing anonymous Turkish military officials.

And it's got little to do with enmity. Natural gas is what they're "fighting" over.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Why do countries have to fight over bodies of water? Unless a body of water is clearly ensconced within one's borders, it will always be a grey area. Seas and oceans should never belong to a single country because you obviously can't divide liquid. They're supposed to be common property like roads and bridges.

T-123456

Reactions
243 1 0
Country
Turkey
Well the negative side of this is that Greeks tend to dislike Arabs since they're mostly Muslim which in their minds is the same as the 'Turkish enemy' or something like that (not to mention all the Arab illegal migrants who cause some trouble there), and Turks aren't crazy about us either. I would feel uncomfortable living in either of those countries as an Arab.
Then the Turkish-Arabs in the southern provinces must feel very uncomfortable for at least a century?
Arabs in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
We take care of our citizens,we dont care about the ethnic origin.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
It is interesting to see they are fighting over water and can't divide that as it will remain where it is and it is known that Turkey and Greece are rivals and don't get along well. I think trade would still occur but any, loyalty would not happen as the countries are against each other now and may lead ot fighting if not sorted out. I wander how the situation will work out, if both countries decide war is to happen and innocent lives will be lost and sad if it happens.