Greek fighter-jet crash in Spain leaves at least 10 dead | World Defense

Greek fighter-jet crash in Spain leaves at least 10 dead

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
A Greek F-16 fighter jet crashed during a Nato exercise in south-east Spain on Monday, killing at least 10 French and Greek military personnel, the Spanish prime minister has said.

Another 21 people were injured in the incident at the Los Llanos base, which sent flames and a plume of black smoke billowing into the air, the Spanish defence ministry said in a statement.

The prime minister, Mariano Rajoy, told Spain’s Telecinco news programme on Monday night that 11 of the injured were Italian and 10 were French.

Five of the injured with severe burns were transported to a Madrid hospital for treatment and the rest were undergoing treatment in the city of Albacete near the base, the defence ministry said.

The two-seater jet was taking off when it crashed into an area of the base where other planes involved in the Nato exercise were parked.

The ministry said that emergency crews tried to put out a fire caused by the crash. Television footage showed flames billowing and a plume of black smoke where the plane crashed at the Los Llanos base.

A Nato spokeswoman declined to disclose details, referring questions to Spanish and Greek military officials.

The Spanish ministry said the jet that crashed was taking part in a Nato training exercise called the Tactical Leadership Program.

According to a US air force website, TLP was formed in 1978 by Nato’s central region air forces to advance their tactical capabilities and produce tactics, techniques and procedures that improve multi-national tactical air operations.

The first TLP course was located at Fuerstenfeldbruck Air Base, Germany. It has been based at the Spanish base since June 2009.
source: Greek fighter-jet crash in Spain leaves at least 10 dead | World news | The Guardian

Tragic accident. I know this didn't occur at an airshow, but it does reinforce that accidents can occur at any time. I know I am not the only one who feels that massing a bunch of people at an airport like this while flying state-of-the-art aircraft in tight formations is a recipe for disaster. Should Airshows be allowed?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think air shows should still be allowed. Fatal accidents can happen anywhere really and as long as the pilots concerned have met certain performance standards then they should continue. The pilots in this incident were on a training exercise at the time, so it might have been down to inexperience.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
The accident may have been caused by either a breach of protocol or plain human error. This is by no means a better bargain than dying in battle. In such cases, all surviving military personnel have no other choice but to move forward. Airshows are a different matter altogether and they can go on if they make people happy. However, I very well understand the necessity of air exercises. The only way to prevent unexpected accidents is for the pilot to exhaust all options and be extraordinarily cautious.

horse next door

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Germany
So first the greek take all our money, and then they can't fly a simple Jet?

Sarcasm aside. It's a tragic accident, which could have been avoided with enough practise.