Greetings from London | World Defense

Greetings from London

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I’m James and I am pleased to have discovered this forum. I live in Southwest London, have U.K. and Irish nationality but was born in Melbourne.

From an early age I have been interested in defence and military issues, to the point of obsession some would say! I am also a bit of a news and current affairs obsessive, with a strong interest in politics, both U.K. and global. I studied Political Science to postgrad level.

I have strong interests in recent military history. For example I am fascinated by every aspect of the Falklands/Malvinas conflict of 1982; I am a Cold War aficionado and interested in the British Army of the Rhine and have read a lot about the Vietnam era.

The nearest I have come to military experience was several years of Corps at my very traditional boys’ boarding school in the 80s. It was a tough training but not as tough as the Rugby!

I am interested in a wide range of geopolitical issues today, including under-reported conflicts in Africa and Asia. I look forward to interesting discussions and forging new friendships through the Forum.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Hello
I’m James and I am pleased to have discovered this forum. I live in Southwest London, have U.K. and Irish nationality but was born in Melbourne.

From an early age I have been interested in defence and military issues, to the point of obsession some would say! I am also a bit of a news and current affairs obsessive, with a strong interest in politics, both U.K. and global. I studied Political Science to postgrad level.

I have strong interests in recent military history. For example I am fascinated by every aspect of the Falklands/Malvinas conflict of 1982; I am a Cold War aficionado and interested in the British Army of the Rhine and have read a lot about the Vietnam era.

The nearest I have come to military experience was several years of Corps at my very traditional boys’ boarding school in the 80s. It was a tough training but not as tough as the Rugby!

I am interested in a wide range of geopolitical issues today, including under-reported conflicts in Africa and Asia. I look forward to interesting discussions and forging new friendships through the Forum.
Welcome to the forum James! Hope you enjoy your stay.

Ticklishchap

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
please share your Falklands war knowledge, I am lacking in this regard
I shall probably start a thread about the subject as there is so much to say. For starters, I shall mention that the defeat of the military regime (junta) in Argentina led to a collapse of confidence in rule by the Generals and Admirals and in right-wing authoritarianism generally. It enabled the re-establishing of democratic institutions and a pluralist political culture (which had always existed under the surface).

Argentina’s democratic transition was fraught with difficulties but it started a ‘domino effect’ with accelerated democratic transitions in other Southern Cone countries. Uruguay, Brazil and a few years later Chile.

At the start of the conflict, a political scientist I know from Montevideo told me that his Argentine friends (he was in Buenos Aires at the time) were all caught up in the nationalistic fervour, even though they were strong opponents of the regime. He described this to me in the 1990s and like him I found it hard to understand. I find it easier to understand now because right-wing populist nationalism is no longer something ‘other’ to be studied and theorised about. It is very much here, in my own country, a new phenomenon since 2016, and I have seen it transfix a few people I once regarded as rational and level-headed!