Hawaii: 10% of the State's GDP into Military | World Defense

Hawaii: 10% of the State's GDP into Military

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Some may seriously wonder if it is reasonable or not. Meanwhile the total US military spending is going down, Hawaii military spending still accounts for 10% of GDP, at $7.6 billion.
But Hawaii is special. This island has a long military history because of its place between the Asia, the Russia and the United States in general, acting mainly as a US base meanwhile being also a touristic island on its own.

Being 10% of the GDP is to compare with the fact the whole US military spending is 2.4% of US GDP. So here's the question to ask: is it too much? Is too much money spent in US military, especially in Hawaii?

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Yes, it's too much money. For such a little island $7.6 billion is as much as countries like Egypt and Pakistan spend on their armed forces.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Well, compare it to Virginia. Virginia is a state spending $54.7 billion in defense, or 11.8% of the state's GDP. That's even much more than Hawaii is doing. And given Hawaii is the separation between US and any country linked to the Pacific, it doesn't not feel that that much. I know Pacific activities are less active than it used to in past years, but I feel like this island protects a whole sea or ocean, rather than a little islan itself.

But after, you can also think US' military spending is just too much at anytime, and should be even more cut and lowered.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
As the saying goes, don't rock the boat. I agree that Hawaii is a special case because of its location. I remember the story of Pearl Harbor during the second world war. It is strategically situated in the Pacific and it is a perfect window to Asia in terms of military maneuver. It's just that the enemies were quick and clever. So that's the reason for Hawaii's big military budget, the prevention of a sneak attack.

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Well, compare it to Virginia. Virginia is a state spending $54.7 billion in defense, or 11.8% of the state's GDP. That's even much more than Hawaii is doing. And given Hawaii is the separation between US and any country linked to the Pacific, it doesn't not feel that that much. I know Pacific activities are less active than it used to in past years, but I feel like this island protects a whole sea or ocean, rather than a little islan itself.

But after, you can also think US' military spending is just too much at anytime, and should be even more cut and lowered.
Anyway, this is the first time I know that each state has it's own defense budget. That's weird..

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Anyway, this is the first time I know that each state has it's own defense budget. That's weird..
I had documentation on the Army structure on United States. The thing is, these spending is going, in the end, to the federal's U.S. Armed Forces. What's happening is that United States have a federal structures, with many states. Officially, each state can have its own armed force, that can be used, because they are somehow an "independent state", meanwhile they have to share some power with the federal power. But many of these States Armed forces are not too much active.

But then, companies in some states may have a contract with Department of Defense, and for the "civil" contracts they have with the Pentagon we know, is what is called "state spendings". Because of these contracts, it drives the local economy (of the bases at Hawaii, for examples, with contracts with local groceries, but also for the broad U.S. military needs if we talk about weapon-makers) So, in the end U.S. Armed Forces manages the matter and the budget, but it works by contracts, with states being dependent of the Federal defense's money. In the hope I'm clear enough.

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
As the saying goes, don't rock the boat. I agree that Hawaii is a special case because of its location. I remember the story of Pearl Harbor during the second world war. It is strategically situated in the Pacific and it is a perfect window to Asia in terms of military maneuver. It's just that the enemies were quick and clever. So that's the reason for Hawaii's big military budget, the prevention of a sneak attack.
Not only is it strategic, it's very lonesome. From what I've read, Hawaii is the most isolated population centre on the planet, and it has a fairly large population of almost a million and a half people. You can't leave that many people undefended in such a remote location, even if in this day and age they're probably not in a ton of danger. So, yes, I think the spending is justified, and even if it isn't any cuts should be fairly minimal.

HeliArmy

Reactions
14 0 0
Country
France
Not only is it strategic, it's very lonesome. From what I've read, Hawaii is the most isolated population centre on the planet, and it has a fairly large population of almost a million and a half people. You can't leave that many people undefended in such a remote location, even if in this day and age they're probably not in a ton of danger. So, yes, I think the spending is justified, and even if it isn't any cuts should be fairly minimal.
About the threat they may have, you may take as an advantage that they have only seas around them, and other islands, avoiding land attacks. On the other side, Hawaii borders assured by the U.S. Army is probably 200 miles around the Hawaii islands, and all other Hawaiian islands, and there's many, many other islands. To give you an idea, the Hawaiian borders for Exclusive Economical activity is ~2,000 nautical miles wide, and probably around 450 nautical miles long. So you're right about the fact the island is little and the need of the spending.
However, Virginia isn't an island and have as much state GDP.

SLTE

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Canada
About the threat they may have, you may take as an advantage that they have only seas around them, and other islands, avoiding land attacks. On the other side, Hawaii borders assured by the U.S. Army is probably 200 miles around the Hawaii islands, and all other Hawaiian islands, and there's many, many other islands. To give you an idea, the Hawaiian borders for Exclusive Economical activity is ~2,000 nautical miles wide, and probably around 450 nautical miles long. So you're right about the fact the island is little and the need of the spending.
However, Virginia isn't an island and have as much state GDP.
Yeah, no, I wouldn't argue that Virginia is necessarily justified in their spending. I can't say I'm surprised, though, because as far as I know the military is bigger business in Virginia than most anywhere else in the United States. I recall reading something not too long ago - can't find it now, sadly - that said they have more military-oriented employees than any other state. The manpower alone must cost a pretty penny to maintain each year.