Hijack Shootdown | World Defense

Hijack Shootdown

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
The USA was apparently close to shooting down one of the planes on September 11th. They talked of even ramming the planes and then ejecting. If that would have been the command, I wonder how the pilots would have felt. They would be taking the lives of people who of course did nothing wrong to save others who did nothing wrong. I know that would probably be very difficult on them afterwards. Some of our soldiers that suffer from PTSD are proof that taking life is not easy. So I can only imagine if that would have happened how they might have felt.

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I think you are right. Although you have to remember that a fighter pilot would see that plane as a threat being flown by a terrorist in the moment. You cannot allow your personal belief in that moment to take over your judgement call.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
That's one of the reasons why military personnel must take orders without question. They are not allowed to make whatever choice they may think is the best because emotion can cloud one's judgment.
Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing for the right reasons.
In a situation where you need to take a hundred or so lives to save many more, then the right thing to do is . . .

vinceasneed

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
That makes sense Redheart. I guess they could look back on it and realize that they would have done what would have saved many lives. But it would still be a traumatic experience. I wonder how the politicians how make those decisions would have felt? Of course, many of them have served in our military before. But many have not and their feelings might be different.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That's one of the reasons why military personnel must take orders without question. They are not allowed to make whatever choice they may think is the best because emotion can cloud one's judgment.

In a situation where you need to take a hundred or so lives to save many more, then the right thing to do is . . .
The unfortunate thing is that in most cases a hundred lives innocent are taken to eliminate one evil person. Drone strikes for example, to kill 40 terrorists they killed more than 1000 civilians. But you are certainly right that the military personnel are not allowed to have an emotional response to an order.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The unfortunate thing is that in most cases a hundred lives innocent are taken to eliminate one evil person.
Remember the attack on The World Trade Center? Over 3,000 people were killed. Lives which could have been saved had the two planes been host down.

Nonetheless, the valid option would be to make an attempt to save even those who are in the hijacked plane.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA

I couldn't agree more. It must be done anyway. There are sacrifices that have to take place.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Remember the attack on The World Trade Center? Over 3,000 people were killed. Lives which could have been saved had the two planes been host down.

Nonetheless, the valid option would be to make an attempt to save even those who are in the hijacked plane.
I agree it would have been good to save everyone. Realistically there was no way to save those passengers, however. The only way to prevent all those lives lost would be a change in attitude among world leaders, more love.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
It was a very harsh tragedy. What good soul can make a snap judgement as to whose lives they should sacrifice in exchange for others? But wasn't there a plane of passengers that chose to fight off the terrorists even if it meant dying themselves? It always gives me the chills whenever I remember that one.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I agree it would have been good to save everyone. Realistically there was no way to save those passengers, however. The only way to prevent all those lives lost would be a change in attitude among world leaders, more love.
I think a lot more is needed for us to see change. The focus should be on teaching children tolerance. They are the ones who can change the world. But that's only if they are shielded from the negative influence of older people [including their parents] who can't let go of their bigotry. Nonetheless since that's impossible. we'll still have terrorists around in future.

I guess then [as you suggest], world leaders can help defuse tensions, help convince their people that shedding blood doesn't solve problems, avenge anything, etc, etc. Maybe then we'd fewer terrorist attacks and no retaliations which further reinforce the cycle of vengeance.

dyanmarie25

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
That's very tragic, but yes, I agree. Sometimes, someone has to sacrifice for others to be saved.