How America came within 30 SECONDS of launching nuclear strike on Russia starting WW3 | World Defense

How America came within 30 SECONDS of launching nuclear strike on Russia starting WW3

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
THE United States came within seconds of starting World War 3 by dropping an atomic bomb on Russia during the height of the Cold War, according to an prominent nuclear historian.
By Tom Batchelor

PUBLISHED: 19:09, Wed, Aug 12, 2015 | UPDATED: 19:56, Wed, Aug 12, 2015

B52-597914.jpg

A US Air Force strategic air command (SAC) B-52 stratofortress drops a string of 750-pound bombs

The extraordinary claims suggest Russia and the West came terrifyingly close to all-out nuclear conflict due to a computer glitch caused by a faulty component costing just 46 cents.

Secret documents have revealed more than 1,000 accidents involving nuclear weapon by bungling American servicemen - including fires, explosions and accidentally dropped bombs that nearly cost hundreds of millions of lives in the Seventies and Eighties.

During the close-call in 1979, defence chiefs at the North American Aerospace Defence Command in Colorado were told of a major, imminent attack by Soviet forces.

Computer screens at the top-secret base filled with images showing the early stages of an attack, and they prepared to retaliate.

It was only after a thorough investigation and a check of the back-up radar that a revenge strike was called off at the last minute.

Had America reacted by sending its own nuclear warheads to the Soviet Union, a third world war would have been inevitable.

In another excruciating incident caused by America's shoddy technology, US early warning systems detected an incoming attack from hundreds of Soviet missiles.

Zbigniew Brzezinski, the national security adviser to US President Jimmy Carter, was woken at 2.30am to be told the worrying news.

It soon transpired the true number of Russian bombs heading for US shores was 2,200.

Mr Brzezinski had just minutes to decide whether to launch an attack using America's own nuclear arsenal.

Just as he was preparing to call the president, he received a call to say the incoming missile alert was a false alarm, caused by faulty computer chip costing just a few cents.

B52-331025.jpg
GETTY

US crews scramble for a test bombing raid using the B52 bomber
And in a separate mishap, pilots accidentally dropped a plutonium missile on North Carolina from a B-52 bomber during a routine flight in 1962.

At the time, US bombers were kept airborne 24 hours a day so the US could respond in an instant to any developing threat.

The plane in question was carrying two hydrogen bombs when the pilot noticed there was a weight imbalance on the aircraft.

As the crew attempted to return to the airbase, the plane began to break apart, and the bomb was accidentally released.

The warhead went through all of its arming steps except for one, hitting the ground before a firing signal sent.

If that one switch had been activated, the bomb would have detonated a full-scale thermonuclear explosion on US soil.

B52-331026.jpg
GETTY

A Field of B-52 Aircraft, Davis Montham Air Force Base, Tucson, Arizona - many have been mothballed
The hair-raising accounts are detailed in a book by US author Eric Schlosser, titled 'Command and Control: Nuclear Weapons, the Damascus Accident, and the Illusion of Safety'.

The Pentagon's official accounts detail 32 accidents involving US nuclear warheads.

But Mr Schlosser obtained secret documents which reveal more than 1,000 accidents involving nuclear weapons between 1950 and 1968.

The release of sensitive information revealing US military blunders shows just how close the Soviet Union and the West came to conflict during the Cold War.

Escalating tensions in Ukraine and repeated incursions into restricted airspace by Russian bombers suggests the world may still be experiencing a modern-day 'cold' conflict.

Mr Schlosser has warned both the US and Russia still own ageing weapons system.

America's main nuclear bomber hasn't been redesigned since John F Kennedy was president in the Sixties, and the main land-based missile - still in use today - should have been retired in the early Eighties.

"It's only since the Cold War ended that we've been able to find out how close we came, again and again, to having our own weapons detonate by accident, or potentially be stolen, or potentially be used by people without proper authorisation," he said.
Cold War: Nuclear expert reveals America was just moments from atomic war with Soviets | History | News | Daily Express

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
That account of the bomb dropping in North Carolina with just one arming check left before it was armed is the most shocking incident in my eyes.

I'm not sure if it's a true incident or not, but I remember seeing a documentary many years back about a false nuclear attack alarm. From what I remember American radars detected a nuclear attack was inbound and the decision was made to send a bomber in response to attack. The plane made it out to the runway and the pilot was going through his final checks before take-off when a jeep screeched to a halt in front of it and the driver called the strike off because it was a false alarm.

When you really think about it, it's seriously scary how many times we've come close to a nuclear war.

sbatz72

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
This is shocking news. I have never heard anything like it. I am certainly glad I was given the opportunity to read this article. I found it quite interesting bit of history that I was not taught in school.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
This is nothing but mere propaganda by God knows who. Why would the US of all countries make a nuclear strike on Russia without being attacked themselves? This story is false and that never happened!

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
A computer glitch that could have started World War III. And at the height of the cold war, that confrontation would be a serious one since both parties have their own nuclear bombs to speak of. But I wonder how a computer glitch can do that error and what caused that glitch? Maybe the computer programmers at the time were not so good yet.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
We are seriously so lucky that did not happen. I think that whole thing would have been so catastrophic for the world. The impact of a nuclear war is really scary and not to be taken lightly. I am so glad that nothing ever happened. It would have been a total disaster and waste of life for all concerned.