How do you think the war in Ukraine will end? | World Defense

How do you think the war in Ukraine will end?

kestas57

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The war seems to just go on forever. It's almost like Ukraine is fighting a never-ending army. The more they defeat, the more that comes at them.

What are your opinions?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
My hypothesis is that Ukraine will experience huge military losses so more foreign volunteers and intergovernmental military and peacekeeping alliances will come to its rescue. This move will push back the rebels, while Russia will increase direct participation in the war. However, its economy will face the consequences and Putin may well lose the trust of his avid supports. Both parties will then call for a ceasefire and they will try to agree to a peace treaty of some sorts.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
My hypothesis is that Ukraine will experience huge military losses so more foreign volunteers and intergovernmental military and peacekeeping alliances will come to its rescue. This move will push back the rebels, while Russia will increase direct participation in the war. However, its economy will face the consequences and Putin may well lose the trust of his avid supports. Both parties will then call for a ceasefire and they will try to agree to a peace treaty of some sorts.

I think Tinx is right on the money here. If Russia continues to push forward, foreign powers will have no choice but to intervene and continue with sanctions and, at some crucial point, more drastic measures. Putin will have to make a difficult decision on whether to continue to push his interests of expanding Russia and annexing the lands that used to be, or to continue to leave the Ukraine as an independent nation. As long as foreign powers have an interest in keeping the Ukraine an independent nation, Putin will eventually need to pull back or risk totally toppling the Russian economy.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Honestly the first thing that came into my mind is that World War. Something like that isn't going to just end because it isn't really the war between US and Ukraine. Russians believe that Ukraine is just a front and whom they are really fighting against are the Americans. While Ukraine on the other hand just look at Russia as their enemy and that they are different constituent from the USA to whom they are only asking for help and a kind of protection because they know that they can't fight against Russia alone. Russia is too domineering and accusative.

n4rk92

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
How do you reach a peace treaty with your own people that simply did not want to follow the newly installed regime? Pro-Russian separatists is a term coined and used to this day for regular Ukrainian people that simply saw an overthrow of their government and did not want to follow the newly installed one. Why not call them "Anti New Ukraine Government" group (sorry haven't thought of a better term). Well the answer is really propaganda and the shaping of opinion of the masses. Because they do not support the newly installed officials, let's associate them with Russia and place the blame in mainstream's heads that it is Russia's fault. I am not exonerating Russia from its involvement, but I see a legitimate self-interest that Russia has with its next door neighbor and strategic view of keeping NATO out of its backyard.

Sorry for my digression, but I honestly do not see a resolution where there will be a re-unified Ukraine. How do you expect to brand, bombard, and slaughter your own people and expect a reunification?

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think this is going to be a hard choice to when it will end, as riots and violence are happening everyday and neither side is backing away and the rebels are opposing the change which may be good. It is sad when you have to fight your own people and lead to broken families, and orphans and widows or widowers which is depressing and should not be happening in the first place. Foreign countries would have to get involved but may have own agenda, and motives and may want something in return and that may be hard to accept in a time of war occurring.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
If Russia continues to push forward, foreign powers will have no choice but to intervene and continue with sanctions and, at some crucial point, more drastic measure.
Not likely. Even if Russia was to send it's army into Ukraine, no Western nations will intervene. Why? Russia is desperate. Their economy is in shambles. They have nothing to lose and are desperate to start a war so they can balance the scales should they emerge victorious. But Western leaders are smart enough and will avoid swallowing the bait.

That's why Ukraine will be on their own. Either they let the rebel-held regions secede or the country won't know peace for an indefinite time.

IMHO, Ukraine will end being like Somalia.