How influencial and powerful Pope Francis is? | World Defense

How influencial and powerful Pope Francis is?

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
I wonder how influencial and really powerful Pope Francis is. Unlike the conventional politicians, he doesn't seem to have enemy. He is in the Philippines now, and the people was taken by storm, just the same in each country where he went. He must have an influence comparable with that of the head of state of superpowerful countries like USA and Russia. And we all now that power comes from the people you influence.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
You seem to be right. I actually really like this pope and I'm not Catholic and I do not agree with most Catholic viewpoints. Now, I don't necessarily agree with every statement he makes, he does have some wisdom that rings very true for me. He is also very humble and kind, which is something I respect in a spiritual leader. Even as a child, I did not take well to pastors or preachers who seemed less than sincere about their vow to God. I dragged my grandmother out of churches because I did not feel the church leader was pure enough to listen to. I was a weird kid. My grandma listened to me for some reason though. She felt that as a child, I was closer to the heart of God. Maybe I was.

Grumpy

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
He has millions and millions of followers behind him because he's the leader of one of the most followed religions in the world. Of course he's a powerful man. He commands the respect of every Catholic person on the planet and most would bow to him and submit to his any request, because they see him as the chosen one. We have to remember that people are sheep and they will follow whatever leader is presented to them. The Pope could be absolutely anybody and he'd still be widely respected and followed, just because he has the title of Pope.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
He is quite powerful. Religion is the only system that stuck for more years than any other political or non political systems. Even though he is not directly powerful, he has influence over believers.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
He definitely has an influence over millions. But you've got to put into the context of who the "millions" are. A very large percentage live in developing economies where they hang onto the symbol of Catholicism, and all its antiquated rules. In more developed markets, people respect him but he's not as relevant, in my view, in these countries.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
He is very different to his predecessors. He seems to be more human for a start. He continues to drive a battered old Ford Focus, despite having access to any vehicle he chooses, stating that he doesn't need anything better. He is more tolerant of gay marriage and even has a great sense of humor. The reputation of the Catholic church has been sullied for so long by other members of the clergy and I think PF is just what they need to try and turn public perception of the religion around.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
He is, of course, extremely influential to followers of the Catholic faith who number in the billions. However, as was mentioned above, many of these followers are in developing nations. Moreover, the people who would blindly follow him are likely not to be in any position of power or government. I believe Catholics in those positions would put national/personal interests over religious ones.