How the Pentagon is Preparing for a Tank War With Russia | World Defense

How the Pentagon is Preparing for a Tank War With Russia

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
Can't read anything in the link without signing up... I'll pass.

Anyway, there is no better anti-tank weapon than destroying them from the air. Tanks are mostly sitting ducks when being attacked by aircraft. Attack choppers, close air support aircraft etc. can all smash multiple tanks in a single pass or engagement without getting scratched. AH-64 Apache and A-10 are two great examples. Each can carry up to 16 anti-tank missiles and dozens rockets. Tanks do not stand a chance against these tank killing machines on their own.

On the other hand, I have seen videos of Russian military drills where they put many mobile AA in their tank formation during a big push. Then again, I still think the aircraft hold the total advantage even against mobile AA. You just can't win against aircraft without your own air cover. It would be hard to wrestle the air superiority away from the US air force ... or from the US navy for that matter.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
While there is some truth in the assertion that airpower reigns supreme precedent and war history puts big conditionals on the same. The Viet Cong survived massive American bombardment which was a scorched earth policy. The first war in Chechnya, ISIS's lightning offensives and numerous liberation fighters the world over have turned the tide of war without even a primitive airforce. The Taliban of Afghanistan have survived 15 years of Nato backed aerial and ground operations at its best but are paradoxically stronger than ever before and holding more territory with each passing day.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I have heard repeatedly how the Russian weapons capabilities were inferior to that of the West. I have always maintained that Russia should not be underestimated. However from now onwards we should expect to see a stepping-up in the arms race because the US will be moving to surpass the Russian capabilities and Russia will be striving to get ahead of the US and the West.

vash

Reactions
27 1 0
Country
USA
While there is some truth in the assertion that airpower reigns supreme precedent and war history puts big conditionals on the same. The Viet Cong survived massive American bombardment which was a scorched earth policy. The first war in Chechnya, ISIS's lightning offensives and numerous liberation fighters the world over have turned the tide of war without even a primitive airforce. The Taliban of Afghanistan have survived 15 years of Nato backed aerial and ground operations at its best but are paradoxically stronger than ever before and holding more territory with each passing day.

Vietnam is a different case. The place was full of tropical forest. They had also dug tons of caves and tunnels. They had no tank.

Mass air power is actually insufficient against a guerrilla force, but massive tanks make great targets for air power.

It is just easier to hide people (especially the ones without uniform) compare to big tanks. Tanks also need lots of supplies, such as fuel, ammunition, and spare parts. It is completely different from ISIS who can just scatter and disappear any time they want.