Hundreds of churches encourage members to beat each other bloody | World Defense

Hundreds of churches encourage members to beat each other bloody

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
You'd think church leaders should be setting a good example. Neighborly love, embracing non-violence but no, they say men are made for COMBAT.
Hundreds of churches encourage members to beat each other bloody because men are made for combat;
Today over 700 evangelical US churches now integrate MMA (also known as cage-fighting) into their ministry programs. The phenomenon has even been featured in a recent documentary film, 2014’s Fight Church.

The notion that MMA and Christianity are compatible bedfellows is loosely based on the ideology of Muscular Christianity, a mostly-male, Victorian-era movement that linked the gospel with physical and mental toughness.
Tells us how religious militias are created?
“I don’t think that there is anything purer than putting two men in a cage…and just seeing which man is better, and as a pastor, as a bible teacher, I think God made men masculine… Men are made for combat, men are made for conflict, men are . . . ”
Delusional preachers. Maybe it's time we turned our backs on organized religion because it's like joining some army. And who are you fighting for? Men of the cloth?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
I don't think religions promote violence at all. Its people who are misusing religions to justify violence.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
These are the last days. The bible says that false prophets shall come into existence. We have to pray for discerning spirit to tell the true from the false. Many people shall come in the name of the lord to fulfill their purposes. God is love and anything that does not portray that is not from Him.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
I don't think that any church would allow such violence as you described. At least I never heard something even close to this. This is why I think you meant sects instead of churches. I've heard that there are a lot of sects out there that promote not only violence, but all sort of human depravation rituals.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
It's not SECTS.
Today over 700 evangelical US churches now integrate MMA (also known as cage-fighting) into their ministry programs.
Over 700 EVANGELICAL churches embrace MMA as a sport.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
This isn't the kind of church that I grew up in! It's not a doctrine I'm familiar with either. But if it's keeping people together and they're not doing anybody any harm, then let them do it I say.

Sklauda1

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
It depends on what they are doing with it. I could see using MMA classes to teach self defense and discipline to congregations. Like any martial art, it takes a lot of patience and practice. There was a member of our church who taught tai-chi in the morning before church and I wish I could have been a part of it.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
“I don’t think that there is anything purer than putting two men in a cage…and just seeing which man is better, and as a pastor, as a bible teacher, I think God made men masculine… Men are made for combat, men are made for conflict, men are . . . ”

Sounds like something you'd read in a gay lifestyle magazine! Seriously, though, I doubt God enjoys watching two men beat each other to a pulp in the name of Christianity. I agree that MMA can be great, but in a non-violent sense.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Despite it's the churches are saying, I don't think that people are plain ignorant. There's no guarantee that they're going to follow it. But yea, churches are the ones that should be propagating a non-violent and non-abusive forms of defence. And to hear them actually leading such is surprising to the point of disappointing. This is the reason that I think it's better to be a Buddhist.

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
These are the last days. The bible says that false prophets shall come into existence. We have to pray for discerning spirit to tell the true from the false. Many people shall come in the name of the lord to fulfill their purposes. God is love and anything that does not portray that is not from Him.
I agree with this. I grew up in church. Now, I am not a huge fan of organized religion because I don't feel it always comes from God. However, I have never heard anything close to what is being said here about MMA fighting in any church I've ever been in. I have to wonder the source of this information and whether it should be taken with a grain of salt. Where did they get the number 700? How was the sample taken? Who were they talking to?

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I think its beyond silly to think God made men for the purpose of brutalizing each other. Thats just non sense in my opinion. We were made for a much higher purpose that goes beyond beating eachother up. I certainly hope so at least. I think this is just a case of churches falling prey to the culture.

Mackmax

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
This is..shocking, to say the least. I thought we moved past the whole "battle to the death" thing centuries ago. Its strange how many of us repeat the mistakes of the past so often. It is religious people like these who poison the world. I hope that there are laws against this, because violent fights to the death should not be okay, even under the name of God. I hope that nobody follows these preachers and join these fight clubs, for goodness sake.

RingoBerry

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Malaysia
Okay.. I do find it a little bit odd I mean I don't understand the purpose of them mixing MMA fighters and preachers? Yes it was mentioned how they think that those two similar in some sense (wait WHAT?). I hope this isn't a statement saying that the pillars of the church are men... perhaps subtle chauvinist message shot at the first female bishop, BUT there are a lot of female MMA fighters.

If the reason is as plain and simple as priests wanting to be in the same ring as other tough guys - it's just too much to swallow. I'm not buying it.

saastil

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
This just seems like a way to grab headlines. Shouldn't the focus of a church be to do good things for other people? Who cares if your congregation is full of fighters or not, if their job is to take care of the poor, the meek, etc?

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
Whatever happened to 'turn the other cheek'? and what purpose does all this fighting serve anyway? I don't remember reading anything in the Bible about this sort of activity.
I wonder what Jesus would say.