Illegal immigrants voting? | World Defense

Illegal immigrants voting?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
If an illegal immigrant can prove they live in the US, and pay taxes to our government should they be allowed to vote? 35% of voters polled said yes. It is tempting to let them vote if they are paying taxes. But then logic tells me: if convicted felons pay taxes and can't vote, why should people who are currently breaking our laws be allowed to vote? We shouldn't treat them better than we treat our citizens. If the laws apply to the people who are supposed to be here, people here illegally should have to obey our laws, as well.

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
You point about convicted felons paying taxes but still not being allowed to vote is an extremely good point.

If an illegal immigrant can prove they live in the US, and pay taxes to our government should they be allowed to vote? 35% of voters polled said yes.

That is probably because 35% of votes in USA are directly or indirectly within USA because of Reagan's amnesty act for illegal immigrants. Initially when the act was being put in place, they said it would apply to less then 500,000 illegals. If you look at the numbers, they actually provided amnesty to over 3 million illegals. 20 years later after they became legal, they in turn sponsored more immigrant.

There is an estimated 40 million illegal in USA right now, Obama's plan will mean that most of these will get Amnesty. You do the math.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Illegal immigrants shouldn't be allowed to vote whether they pay taxes or not.

Their children however, who are born in the U.S, shouldn't be denied the right to vote. They've broken no laws [didn't ask to be born in the U.S and that kind of thing] and know no other home. Since they won't be leaving, they should be allowed to vote [each vote counts, so I've heard] for a leader they believe can positively impact their lives.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Is the thread title true or just a speculation? I don't know how an illegal immigrant can vote. Actually, immigrants for that matter cannot vote in the US because only American citizens are qualified to vote. So how can those illegal aliens go to voting precinct? Aren't they afraid that they would be arrested?

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
In my opinon voting is for citizens only. It doesn't really matter if it's legal or illegal immigrants, they shouldn't have the right to vote until they get their citizenship.

Also, is it really true that in the great old USA, the land of the free! and the ones who love to spread democracy around the world, people get denied the right to vote if they are convicted felons?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
The land of the free doesn't like convicted felons at all. They can't vote. They can't own a gun. They can be discriminated against when trying to get a job. But what they CAN do is get the state to pay for them to have a sex change while in prison. It all balances out, I guess...

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
So why should illegal immigrants pay taxes if they are not entitled to the benefits of being a citizen of that nation? Isn't paying taxes extortion then providing that you will not benefit from your tax dollars because you are an illegal immigrant?

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I really had no idea that convicted felons are unable to vote in the US. That's dreadful, it really is. Does this really apply to all states or is this only the case in certain states?

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Wow, I really had no idea that convicted felons are unable to vote in the US. That's dreadful, it really is. Does this really apply to all states or is this only the case in certain states?
It's certain states right now. And they still have to pay taxes. What exactly are they paying the government for, ya know...

Kyler

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Israel
I don't think that bad of it. I don't think of the idea "illegal" immigrant as a valid idea. There is no "illegal" immigrant, if you would consider that in an objective way, but due to the laws subjectivity they would be considered that, when everyone is an illegal immigrant everywhere really.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I don't think that bad of it. I don't think of the idea "illegal" immigrant as a valid idea. There is no "illegal" immigrant, if you would consider that in an objective way, but due to the laws subjectivity they would be considered that, when everyone is an illegal immigrant everywhere really.
I'm not opposed to immigration. I am opposed to our government treating non-citizens better than their own citizens. If one of my best friends can't vote because he was growing some stuff in his shed, then people whose very presence is breaking the law shouldn't be able to vote, either. No one needs to be concerned about immigrants voting until we can be sure the people who are actually supposed to be here gets to vote.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's certain states right now. And they still have to pay taxes. What exactly are they paying the government for, ya know...

My word, that's terrible. So they have no say whatsoever, even if they are the poster child for correctional success. Here in the UK, you can't vote if you are incarcerated but you are certainly eligible to vote on release.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
So why should illegal immigrants pay taxes if they are not entitled to the benefits of being a citizen of that nation? Isn't paying taxes extortion then providing that you will not benefit from your tax dollars because you are an illegal immigrant?

As far as I'm aware, most illegal immigrants don't pay tax. They aren't in the system, they work without a proper contract etc. At least this is how it is in Europe. Sure they do pay taxes related to consumption, for example every time they buy something from the store. But let's not kid ourselves here, they do benefit from the government spending the tax money. Emergency services, police, roads and other infrastructure, the guy who comes to take their trash away, the guy who cleans their street each morning... all that comes from tax money.

Kyler

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
Israel
I'm not opposed to immigration. I am opposed to our government treating non-citizens better than their own citizens. If one of my best friends can't vote because he was growing some stuff in his shed, then people whose very presence is breaking the law shouldn't be able to vote, either. No one needs to be concerned about immigrants voting until we can be sure the people who are actually supposed to be here gets to vote.
I see. I do see this makes sense because there is a lot of inequality, but the issue is why is there inequality and whether immigration is even a good system, or should there even be immigration to begin with, or perhaps shouldn't it be just one united world because there is nothing on earth that should be claimed by humans? unless your house and property, but why a universal property? if all nations were one, there wouldn't be any of these problems really.