In Russia, selfie shoots you | World Defense

In Russia, selfie shoots you

Psyche

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
New Zealand
977.jpg

'A selfie with a weapon kills': Russia launches campaign urging photo safety | World news | The Guardian

“A cool selfie could cost you your life,” the interior ministry warned in a new leaflet packed with tips such as “a selfie with a weapon kills”.

Stupidity is international. Self-shooting selfie deaths have also occurred in other countries.

Mexico Man Poses With Gun While Taking Selfie, Fatally Shoots Himself
Philippines 15-year-old boy accidentally shoots self while taking selfie

I am sure there are some US examples to although I do not recall seeing one yet.

CrowdedHighways

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Latvia
"Russian police have launched a campaign urging people to take safer selfies after accidents caused by high-risk poses have resulted in about 100 injuries and dozens of deaths this year."

Oh wow. When I had not read the article yet, I thought that it was just a silly campaign, but turns out people really are so...reckless.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
When the actions of people prove they are stupid you can't any chances . . . expect them to use some common sense. Too many people have died trying to take "cool" selfies. Some fall of cliffs, others get run over, decapitated by trains — the list is rather long. I think other countries should do the same thing Russia is doing.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon me but I don't think those warnings for risky selfie is needed. A person owning a camera is not an ignorant caveman. More likely, he is educated and if he is so then he has the common sense to realize the dangers he put himself in when taking those risky selfies. In other words, selfie at your own risk and no reminder is needed for that. Pardon me for this harsh comment because I really find those selfie deaths a waste of life due to negligence.

Shimus

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
True enough, @Corzhens - but obviously there were the exceptions to the rule that forced them to put up such rules - people must have been being stupid and getting hurt taking selfies everywhere or they wouldn't have did it.

I find those lives lost due to selfies "Natural Selection" or "Darwinism at its' finest" because obviously if they did stupid things like this, what's to stop them from doing something more terrible or stupid? Nothing. Unless you constantly warn these idiots (with such photos).

I know it's to escape the law and accountability for deaths, but honestly - who needs to be told taking a selfie next to a lion or a speeding train is bad idea? If you didn't already know this, then you deserve what you get. I hold no remorse.

Pantera

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Mexico
People do stupid stuff, that's a fact of life, and even the best of us do something stupid from time to time. Not necessarily a potentially fatal stupid act, but we all do them nonetheless. I think it's socially responsible to admit this humbly and warn against stupidity.
You also have to take into account that most of the people interested in selfies and what they represent (social media status, etc...) are the younger generations. I'm 25 today and most of my friends are very much into social media, but I see my teenage or preteen relatives and how much they're obsessed with that and it freaks me out a little bit. I guess, in my time, life was so small and narrow (few intellectual/spiritual/philosophical/political pursuits, nearly zero obligations/responsibilities, indifference to pursuing knowledge and personal growth, desire to be "cool" and fit in) that I got very much into whatever my interests were, but you don't want to feel left behind.
It's also fact that younger people don't know any better; they've hardly had a chance to experience so much in life that teaches us many things, like being prudent and having common sense. Perhaps a campaign like this is a good idea to protect the young and those whose survival instincts never developed.

Speaking of which, let me go a bit deeper on the latter...
I would love to see a proper study detailing whether these generations are so self-absorbed in their bubbles created by their smart phones and social media, or what other phenomena explains this but...
Has a significant portion of the population lost their survival instinct? All the time I drive around and have people cross the street at crawling-speed without looking (not uncommon for them to be on their phones), or they even look at you as if they don't realize their current speed and path and yours mean they're going to be tossed away like a ragdoll for several yards with broken bodies.
Don't even get me started on other drivers...
I kid you not, I've been toying with the idea for a year or two now, of writing a black comedy movie script about the whole thing...

Last edited: