India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative | World Defense

India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan

P-8I-Poseidon-780x470.webp

India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative​

According to the agency, the Ministry of Defense has been reviewing all ongoing projects under the “Buy Global” category, which includes direct contracts with foreign arms producers without the participation of the Indian military-industrial complex, with the view to either scrap or put on hold some of them to boost domestic arms production.
The contracts that are under review include tenders on long-range air defense systems, towed artillery pieces, vertical launch surface-to-air missiles, unmanned aerial systems, additional surveillance Boeing P-8I aircraft along with MiG-29 combat aircraft.
India signed its first contract for the purchase of eight Boeing P-8 Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft in January 2009. In November 2019, the Defense Procurement Board of India approved the purchase of ten more such aircraft, five of which were delivered to India by December 2021.
In July 2020, India’s Defence Acquisition Council approved the acquisition of 21 Russia’s MiG-29 fighters, among other aircraft.

TsAr

THINK TANK
Reactions
3,227 74 0
Country
Pakistan

P-8I-Poseidon-780x470.webp

India Mulls Scrapping P-8 Poseidon, MiG-29 Fighter Jet Deal With The US & Russia To Boost ‘Make In India’ Initiative​

According to the agency, the Ministry of Defense has been reviewing all ongoing projects under the “Buy Global” category, which includes direct contracts with foreign arms producers without the participation of the Indian military-industrial complex, with the view to either scrap or put on hold some of them to boost domestic arms production.
The contracts that are under review include tenders on long-range air defense systems, towed artillery pieces, vertical launch surface-to-air missiles, unmanned aerial systems, additional surveillance Boeing P-8I aircraft along with MiG-29 combat aircraft.
India signed its first contract for the purchase of eight Boeing P-8 Poseidon maritime reconnaissance aircraft in January 2009. In November 2019, the Defense Procurement Board of India approved the purchase of ten more such aircraft, five of which were delivered to India by December 2021.
In July 2020, India’s Defence Acquisition Council approved the acquisition of 21 Russia’s MiG-29 fighters, among other aircraft.

I think this is just a ploy by the baboos tu mint some commission. Once the global vendors know that they are planning on scrapping the deal they will rush to convince the Indians and as famously said in the film GodFather "make them a offer that they can't refuse"

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
I think this is just a ploy by the baboos tu mint some commission. Once the global vendors know that they are planning on scrapping the deal they will rush to convince the Indians and as famously said in the film GodFather "make them a offer that they can't refuse"
Yeah, I think it is a shake down. Trying to get as much concessions from phoren manufacturers. And collect some old school bribes on the side.

But tthe think is , they have already bought into the platforms already. What are they going to do scrap P8 acquisition when 8+ have already been inducted?