India to order 72,000 additional SIG-716s | World Defense

India to order 72,000 additional SIG-716s

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
In February 2019, India signed an INR 700 crore (around USD 99 million) contract for procurement of 72,400 SIG716G2 Patrol assault rifles from Sig Sauer under the fast-track procurement (FTP) procedure. A majority of these rifles (66,400) are for the Indian Army with the remaining divided between the Navy (2,000) and the Air Force (4,000).

The first batch of 10,000 SIG716 assault rifles arrived in India in December 2019. The new SIG 716 rifles will partially replace the Indian Army’s INSAS (INdian Small Arms System) assault rifle. The Indian Army has been, for long, seeking to replace its INSAS rifle, chambered for 5.56x45mm NATO round, with a rifle that fires a larger, more powerful 7.62x51mm round, such as the SIG 716.

Most of the Army’s INSAS rifles will reportedly be replaced by Kalashnikov AK-203 assault rifles, manufactured in India by Indo-Russia Rifles Private Limited. The Indo-Russia Rifles is a joint venture between India’s state-owned Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) and Russia’s Kalashnikov Concern, with Rosoboronexport holding a minority stake. The JV will produce around 750,000 AK-203 rifles, a 7.62×39mm variant from the AK-100 family.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
Let's see if they actually follow through. Last year they placed an order for 7000 sniper rifles only to reduce it by 70% :p

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Let's see if they actually follow through. Last year they placed an order for 7000 sniper rifles only to reduce it by 70% :p

I am not completely surprised because India usually pulls this stunt where they will order a huge order for whatever then completely reduce it by a huge % because either they can't afford it or "political red tape" intervenes, they done that with a number of countries, and why some are very strict on exporting them equipment too

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
I am not completely surprised because India usually pulls this stunt where they will order a huge order for whatever then completely reduce it by a huge % because either they can't afford it or "political red tape" intervenes, they done that with a number of countries, and why some are very strict on exporting them equipment too
They have been trying to milk western companies for decades i-e trying to get as much ToT or offsets by trying to imply a huge order will be placed. This is compounded by the usual gov. red tape & corruption involved.

Zulu

Reactions
2,010 60 0
Country
Pakistan
I pray they repeat it again as really big fan of German weapons and nobody want to see good weapon in enemy hands

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
I pray they repeat it again as really big fan of German weapons and nobody want to see good weapon in enemy hands
well, you may see this 2nd order of SIG-716s cancelled (maybe/possibly) because many private arms manufacturers in India are crying out wondering why India decided to order 72K rifles from the US, rather than rely on a domestic industry..
Domestic arms makers say Army plan to reorder SIG rifles from US setback to 'Make in India'

Modi and local companies have been pushing the "Make In India" initiative since 2010, with hardly indigenous systems ordered. what does make me go hmm though is this, Indian companies are complaining about a 2nd SIG Order, but are complete silenced on India manufacturing the IWI Arad and Carmel rifles under license under a private company. the other thing, that is quite interesting is Indian companies are now complaining that this SIG Order may possibly mess up their AK-203 contract!

so in a short summary, it's ok if IWI wins a contract to build 2 facilities to manufacture 2 different rifles under license because it's getting done by a private company, but when SIG wins a new contract, all of a sudden it's "effecting" the "Make in India" project and AK-203 production line. :rolleyes:“¡¡“