India to surpass China as most populous country within 7 years

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
7e1781a8-dfbd-4742-a0de-78557165a657_16x9_600x338.jpg

The world's population is projected to hit 9.7 billion by 2050 as India is set to become the largest country in terms of population. (File photo: AP)

By Staff Writer | Al Arabiya News
Thursday, 30 July 2015

The world’s population is projected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030, 9.7 billion by 2050 and exceed 11 billion in 2100, with India expected to surpass China as the most populous country in around seven years from now and Nigeria overtaking the United States to become the world’s third largest country around 35 years from now, according to a new United Nations report.

Moreover, the report reveals that during the 2015-2050 period, half of the world’s population growth is expected to be concentrated in nine countries: India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, the United States, Indonesia and Uganda.

At present, China and India remain the two largest countries in the world in terms of population, each with more than one billion people, representing 19 and 18 per cent of the world’s population, respectively, but by 2022, the population of India is expected to surpass that of China, according to the report’s projection.

Among the 10 largest countries in the world currently, one is in Africa (Nigeria), five are in Asia (Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, and Pakistan), two are in Latin America (Brazil and Mexico), one is in Northern America (U.S.), and one is in Europe (the Russian Federation).

“Of these, Nigeria’s population, currently the seventh largest in the world, is growing the most rapidly,” said the report. Consequently, the population of Nigeria is projected to surpass that of the United States by about 2050, at which point it would become the third largest country in the world.

The report also projected that by 2050 the populations of six countries are expected to exceed 300 million: China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Pakistan, and the United States. And with the highest rate of population growth, Africa is expected to account for more than half of the world’s population growth over the next 35 years.

During this period, the report said, the populations of 28 African countries are projected to more than double, and by 2100, 10 African countries are projected to have increased by at least a factor of five: Angola, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mali, Niger, Somalia, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania and Zambia.

In contrast to the growth projections, a significant ageing of the population in the next several decades is projected for most regions, starting with Europe where 34 per cent of the population is projected to be over 60 years old by 2050. In Latin America and the Caribbean and in Asia, the population will be transformed from having 11 per cent to 12 per cent of people over 60 years old today to more than 25 per cent by 2050.

Further to the report, life expectancy at birth has increased significantly in the least developed countries in recent years. The six-year average gain in life expectancy among the poorest countries, from 56 years in 2000-2005 to 62 years in 2010-2015, is roughly double the increase recorded for the rest of the world.

Last Update: Thursday, 30 July 2015 KSA 10:11 - GMT 07:11
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/features/2015/07/30/India-to-surpass-China-as-largest-country-within-7-years.html

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Since China is quite successful with its one-child policy, I think not only India but all nations should be pondering on that issue. What would happen if the population gets out of control and unmanageable? Land is limited so we should understand that. Besides, natural resources can be depleted. So why not follow the footsteps of China and let us have a one-child policy for 20 years or so.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The world already is overpopulated. The earth's resources aren't enough to sustain everyone on the planet right now. And at the rates the population is growing, there'll come a time when there won't be enough food for everyone. What will follow? Extinction?

Freespirit

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
I remember our priest's homily last week. He said that the world is not overpopulated, the resources are just not distributed evenly. Looking at these numbers where India and China has about a billion in population, it makes me wonder what is really the truth lol. I guess statistically looking, there is really a huge growth in population as compared to the last decade. Maybe resources are not evenly distributed but we cannot hide the fact that there is just too many people that even if we distribute the resources equally, it would still not be enough for all.

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
Doesnt surprise me at all. Indias population has been exploding. Due to their one child policy Chinas population has been kept under control. I'm interested to see what effect the increasing wealth of India will have on family formation there.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Its terrible that its gotten to this point, world wide. I agree with @Corzhens maybe we should go with the one child rule. We would just have to make sure we don't start seeing a ton of missing little girl babies.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
Wow, I did not realize that India's population was anywhere near China's. This forum is certainly a learning experience. I think that it is a real revelation. I just wish they could do a better job with birth control. I mean the whole country is quite over populated as it is. However, I guess that is something they have to deal with currently.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Its terrible that its gotten to this point, world wide. I agree with @Corzhens maybe we should go with the one child rule. We would just have to make sure we don't start seeing a ton of missing little girl babies.

Our country is not thickly populated like China, India or Bangladesh but I am seeing the writings on the wall. If we are complacent with the rising population there will come a time that the camel's back will break. In the province of Bulacan that is adjacent to Metro Manila, the once vast expanse of rice fields are now residential subdivisions. Ricefield has become a rare sight in the province. Likewise in the province of Rizal, mountains and prairies are now residential villages (we live in this province).

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Our country is not thickly populated like China, India or Bangladesh but I am seeing the writings on the wall. If we are complacent with the rising population there will come a time that the camel's back will break. In the province of Bulacan that is adjacent to Metro Manila, the once vast expanse of rice fields are now residential subdivisions. Ricefield has become a rare sight in the province. Likewise in the province of Rizal, mountains and prairies are now residential villages (we live in this province).
Its scary that we are losing crops in order to house the ever growing population. I can't figure out how this math works. Growing less food to feed more people? How can that be ignored or justified?

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Its scary that we are losing crops in order to house the ever growing population. I can't figure out how this math works. Growing less food to feed more people? How can that be ignored or justified?

That is why I am very active when it comes to issues about over-population. Would you believe that here in Metro Manila, there are families living under the overpass bridge, the side of the creek and right in Quezon City, there were some families who built shanties right there in the middle of the road - street islands. Now, if that is not overpopulation, I don't know what is. And being an agricultural country, the Philippines has been importing rice from Thailand and Vietnam. Without those imported rice, we would go hungry.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
That is why I am very active when it comes to issues about over-population. Would you believe that here in Metro Manila, there are families living under the overpass bridge, the side of the creek and right in Quezon City, there were some families who built shanties right there in the middle of the road - street islands. Now, if that is not overpopulation, I don't know what is. And being an agricultural country, the Philippines has been importing rice from Thailand and Vietnam. Without those imported rice, we would go hungry.
The two decent size cities around here have a farmer's market every weekend. So, we're lucky. You don't have to worry about GMO'S or dangerous pesticides. And you don't have to worry about going hungry. I consider us very lucky. And I dread the day that the cities finally reach us. But the ever growing population will make sure they do.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Manila is the most densely populated city in the world. At the rate that the Philippines is going, the population will triple at the end of the decade. This isn't fabricated numbers. It is a well known fact.

Bulacan is right behind Manila as the most populated city in the Philippines. It is so bad that people will live on cemeteries and under bridges, and that is the norm.

The government will never impose the one child rule because they will lose the catholic vote that wants you to make as much babies as possible. It is the only form of retirement for the elderly. To make as much babies as possible so that they can send them to work and stay home to do nothing. That is the vicious cycle. Everyone is making more babies like it's their retirement fund.

If the homeless and street children would be the gauge, I guess Manila is indeed number 1 when it comes to dense population. In Manila, the cemeteries are full of live people who make the cemeteries their home. It is not a secret to the city hall but the local government couldn't do anything about it. My brother-in-law who works in Manila's Health department was once assigned in the North Cemetery where he saw for himself the population of live people in the cemetery reaching more than a thousand - my brother-in-law handled the census 2 years ago.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
I find it interesting that your flags indicate the US and you talk like you are in the Philippines. Hmmm...

What you do not realize is that all the corn in the Philippines is GMO. They feed all of your farm animals that are going to slaughtered with GMO corn. That means that your meat is GMO tainted. All of you chickens and cow eat it. That means your milk and eggs and GMO tainted. The feed that you throw into your fish ponds have traces of wheat and corn, and those are GMO as well.

You are living in the illusion that there is no GMO at the farmers market. But every filipino is trying to get a quick turnaround and they are buying these corn feeds to produce large farm animals. Very rarely do I find a farmer that had goats or water buffalos that only eat organic grass.

You have to realize that priest are reading and live off of what the bible says. It is not about science and numbers. It is about what their god has told them to believe, which is far off base from climate change and overpopulation.
I'm in Tennessee, US. Around here people still farm the old fashioned way. No GMOs, and no chemicals.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think that as more families have more children they can care for they will find it hard to feed themselves as the cost of food is growing and the wages are not which will be hard to get the needed food to everyone, as the world has more money spent on weapons than on the people which is sad. It is surprising people would sleep in a cemetery and goes to show how in some parts of the world, you just do what it takes to survive the day as you don't know about the next day and what will occur. I reckon that it will take time to see what happens when the next census occurs, and we may have food shortages even in the developed countries as well.

Determined2014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Tha

7e1781a8-dfbd-4742-a0de-78557165a657_16x9_600x338.jpg

The world's population is projected to hit 9.7 billion by 2050 as India is set to become the largest country in terms of population. (File photo: AP)

By Staff Writer | Al Arabiya News
Thursday, 30 July 2015

The world’s population is projected to reach 8.5 billion by 2030, 9.7 billion by 2050 and exceed 11 billion in 2100, with India expected to surpass China as the most populous country in around seven years from now and Nigeria overtaking the United States to become the world’s third largest country around 35 years from now, according to a new United Nations report.

Moreover, the report reveals that during the 2015-2050 period, half of the world’s population growth is expected to be concentrated in nine countries: India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, the United States, Indonesia and Uganda.

At present, China and India remain the two largest countries in the world in terms of population, each with more than one billion people, representing 19 and 18 per cent of the world’s population, respectively, but by 2022, the population of India is expected to surpass that of China, according to the report’s projection.

Among the 10 largest countries in the world currently, one is in Africa (Nigeria), five are in Asia (Bangladesh, China, India, Indonesia, and Pakistan), two are in Latin America (Brazil and Mexico), one is in Northern America (U.S.), and one is in Europe (the Russian Federation).

“Of these, Nigeria’s population, currently the seventh largest in the world, is growing the most rapidly,” said the report. Consequently, the population of Nigeria is projected to surpass that of the United States by about 2050, at which point it would become the third largest country in the world.

The report also projected that by 2050 the populations of six countries are expected to exceed 300 million: China, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Pakistan, and the United States. And with the highest rate of population growth, Africa is expected to account for more than half of the world’s population growth over the next 35 years.

During this period, the report said, the populations of 28 African countries are projected to more than double, and by 2100, 10 African countries are projected to have increased by at least a factor of five: Angola, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Mali, Niger, Somalia, Uganda, United Republic of Tanzania and Zambia.

In contrast to the growth projections, a significant ageing of the population in the next several decades is projected for most regions, starting with Europe where 34 per cent of the population is projected to be over 60 years old by 2050. In Latin America and the Caribbean and in Asia, the population will be transformed from having 11 per cent to 12 per cent of people over 60 years old today to more than 25 per cent by 2050.

Further to the report, life expectancy at birth has increased significantly in the least developed countries in recent years. The six-year average gain in life expectancy among the poorest countries, from 56 years in 2000-2005 to 62 years in 2010-2015, is roughly double the increase recorded for the rest of the world.

Last Update: Thursday, 30 July 2015 KSA 10:11 - GMT 07:11
https://english.alarabiya.net/en/perspective/features/2015/07/30/India-to-surpass-China-as-largest-country-within-7-years.html
That sounds very congested, just by reading let alone those who will be around to live through it, I do hope that the above mentioned countries are going to do something about the population, it sounds chaotic, i already feel like the world is already congested.