India to Test Nuclear-Capable Agni-5 Missile | World Defense

India to Test Nuclear-Capable Agni-5 Missile

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
India toTest Nuclear-Capable Agni-5Missile on January 31

The India’s Defense Research and Development Organization, the country’s premier defense research institution, will test-fire the missile on the same day that Avinash Chander will step down as its chief.

1014536056.jpg

NEW DELHI, January 29 (Sputnik) – India will conduct the third test of the Agni-5, a ballistic missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead, on January 31, a source at the institution responsible for the launch told Sputnik Thursday.

The India’s Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO), the country’s premier defense research institution, will test-fire the missile on the same day that Avinash Chander will step down as its chief, the source added.

The Indian government terminated Chander's contract on January 13 citing his age.

The Agni-5 is a three-stage ballistic missile designed to carry a 1.5-ton warhead with a range of 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles). It has been dubbed the “China-killer” by media, as it is capable of hitting major Chinese cities such as Beijing.

India to Test Nuclear-Capable Agni-5 Missile on January 31 / Sputnik International

Reactions
12 1 0
Country
Singapore
This is an important step for India as it slowly builds up its might. With threats from China and the budding war between Ukraine and Russia, it is important for India to take all precautions.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Well done !

But honestly, thats won't make sense with a power like China, because China already has many types of missiles with conventional and unconventional warheads with appalling numbers.

What about the accuracy , speed and other specifications ?

let's see this :

upload_2015-2-1_0-44-4.png

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
India is growing, Pakistan better watch it. Pakistan missiles are more advanced than what india has after all. Maybe @DeltaForce103 can tell us what and what.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I am very glad for India. It is good to see them being able to stand up for themselves. I might not like idea of nuclear or bombs in general... but I understand for some countries, it may be the only real defense they have. Especially being so close to problem areas such as the Middle East.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
But is this even allowed? It's a nuclear war equipment! What if things get wrong? We can never be sure of this because it's a test. They might try it, but they have to be sure of that no one's gonna be killed and it'd only do little damage to the people. Little damage to country also. As I see it, it's quite risky.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
There's no cause for worry. Unlike China and NoKor, India isn't prone to botching their nuclear tests. Their ICBM test in 2012 was a resounding success. Although the Agni-5 is a more advanced missile, I have faith that the Indian military has already made the necessary precautionary measures to ensure everyone's safety. They can launch from the sea or the desert to avoid casualties.

rares209

Reactions
6 0 0
Country
Romania
What's so bad about India testing it's nucler power, US do it all the time and no one bats an eye. It's good for them because they show the world that theey are not defenseless.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
India is growing, Pakistan better watch it. Pakistan missiles are more advanced than what india has after all. Maybe @DeltaForce103 can tell us what and what.

With the Agni and BrahMos family of missiles, especially the Agni-V ICBM, India has always had far more sophisticated missile technology than Pakistan. Unless you mean an arbitrary comparison of the number of nuclear warheads.

I don't necessarily agree with interpreting every defence move made by India as a deterrent against Pakistan. The Agni-V as an intercontinental ballistic missile with an official range of around 5,500- 5,800 kilometers and a speculated range of 8,000 kilometers would not be of particular use against Pakistani soil, which has been under Indian missile range for a rather long time.

The intention here is to widen India's missile range to include the vast majority of the Eurasian landmass, this would include the entirety of China and Asia. This is, perhaps, part of a policy of countering Chinese influence and projecting military power in the region. India has a no-first-use policy on nuclear weapons, therefore advanced missiles capable of striking targets on a global scale are seen as a necessary deterrent.

I do not believe this communicates any ill-intent, at least not any more than China or the US did when they designed and deployed ICBMs with ranges of more than 12,000 km. It is worth noting that this is the 3rd in a series of successful tests, the first was in 2012. India is already developing the successor Agni-VI, with a range of 8,000- 12,000 kilometers, which would put it on par with China, the US and Russia in terms of missile range.

Last edited:

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
India is much smarter then North Korea and China. I'm sure they would not test them if there was any possibility of danger to their people.

pcgamer

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
India
We Indians certainly know how to keep everything and everyone in check. While China may not be buzzed by this move, I suspect it's going to irk Pakistan to some extent.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
You mean there are things that DON'T irk the Pakistani? LOL India needs a leg up. You guys are an amazing people.