Indonesia arrests six for attempting to join ISIS militants

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA

658091df-2162-4d12-ae08-b63d726143c3_16x9_600x338.jpg

The number of ISIS supporters embarking from Indonesia soared to 264 in October from 86 in June. (File photo: AFP)​

AFP, Jakarta
Saturday, 27 December 2014
Indonesian police Saturday arrested six people just before they were about to fly to Syria to join the ISIS, the latest in a growing wave of sympathizers emerging from the world's most populous Muslim nation.

Those arrested at Jakarta's Soekarno Hatta airport at dawn included a couple and their 10-year-old child, with police saying they were attempting to travel on fake passports.

The alleged organizer of the trip was also captured after the arrests.

"They admitted during an investigation that they want to carry out jihad and to be martyrs in defending (IS)," said Jakarta police spokesman Rikwanto.

"We hope to find out more details from the organizer, including the one who funded the trip," he added.

The number of ISIS supporters embarking from Indonesia soared to 264 in October from 86 in June, the National Counter-Terrorism Agency (BNPT) chief Saud Usman Nasution was quoted as saying in the Jakarta Post.

In total, an estimated 514 Indonesians have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight alongside IS -- around half of them students or migrant workers based in nearby countries, according to Nasution.

Indonesia has waged a crackdown on terror groups over the past decade following attacks against Western targets, including the 2002 Bali bombings -- a campaign that has been credited with weakening key networks.

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
514 Indonesians have joined Daesh so far? It seems that some of these countries are not doing nearly enough to prevent and crackdown on extremism.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Indonesia's been through a rough time lately and 2015 has barely started. I feel relieved that despite being a Muslim-majority country, they're having none of this ISIS nonsense. Still, 514 is an alarming number. They're doing their best, I'm sure, but it's easier said than done.

Reactions
43 2 0
Country
Thailand
Indonesia is made up of thousands of islands. Policing the islands is truly a herculean task. That they managed to arrest these six is already a wonderful achievement. How many more have gone without their knowledge is anybody's guess.

musicmonster

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
The fact that some of them would want to join ISIS is really disturbing. But I'm glad that was resolved before those people have fully given their lives to that belief. It's best that they are more informed about who these people are and set an awareness to everybody about what the advocasies of ISIS is really about. I know there could be more than would've joined from that place now, since reading this news. Awareness is the best prevention.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA

658091df-2162-4d12-ae08-b63d726143c3_16x9_600x338.jpg

The number of ISIS supporters embarking from Indonesia soared to 264 in October from 86 in June. (File photo: AFP)​

AFP, Jakarta
Saturday, 27 December 2014
Indonesian police Saturday arrested six people just before they were about to fly to Syria to join the ISIS, the latest in a growing wave of sympathizers emerging from the world's most populous Muslim nation.

Those arrested at Jakarta's Soekarno Hatta airport at dawn included a couple and their 10-year-old child, with police saying they were attempting to travel on fake passports.

The alleged organizer of the trip was also captured after the arrests.

"They admitted during an investigation that they want to carry out jihad and to be martyrs in defending (IS)," said Jakarta police spokesman Rikwanto.

"We hope to find out more details from the organizer, including the one who funded the trip," he added.

The number of ISIS supporters embarking from Indonesia soared to 264 in October from 86 in June, the National Counter-Terrorism Agency (BNPT) chief Saud Usman Nasution was quoted as saying in the Jakarta Post.

In total, an estimated 514 Indonesians have gone to Syria and Iraq to fight alongside IS -- around half of them students or migrant workers based in nearby countries, according to Nasution.

Indonesia has waged a crackdown on terror groups over the past decade following attacks against Western targets, including the 2002 Bali bombings -- a campaign that has been credited with weakening key networks.
I think people are just tired of the way the system is being ran. People across the world are ready for a revolution against the powers that be. ISIS is just one group that's in the media, but just think about how many other groups that we don't know about.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Good job by the indonisian Government no country in their right senses should allow ISIS to operate in their territory.

Nate5

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Canada
I'm glad that these people were detained before they could do any harm, and I hope they are persecuted to the fullest extent of Indonesian law. I am disgusted by the people who are willing to fight for such a monstrous terrorist organization. I do not see the justification nor the appeal in performing such heinous crimes in the name of some twisted ideology.

krazyman

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
Indonesia is made up of thousands of islands. Policing the islands is truly a herculean task. That they managed to arrest these six is already a wonderful achievement. How many more have gone without their knowledge is anybody's guess.

True Fact...The archipelago known as Indonesia is impossible to police. I do find it interesting when terrorists are hiding out waiting for their next move and they hide in groups of six, they tend to get busted. If you remember the Lackawanna 6 that were arressted outside of Buffalo about 10 years back that had links to Al-Quaida.

diprod

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
3 0 0
Country
Philippines
It is a great move that it was prevented before these people joined that army. I don't understand, this ISIS guys are known to murder brutally people who don't follow their faith and yet people who are recruited and wanted to join, actually want to be a part of it? It is insane! My hope for humanity is losing here.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Many countries are following suit, but imagine how many have they missed and how many are still planning to go? Now that they know they may be stopped, I'm sure they will find other ways and routes to get there. Each country has different laws, so I don't know the penalties in each as they also seem to be changing as events develop, but the cry of human right and civil rights will come up, so there should be an International law that all countries can use as a guideline for the potential terrorists.