Iran to work with rivals for peace - VP Masumeh Ebtekar | World Defense

Iran to work with rivals for peace - VP Masumeh Ebtekar

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Iran to work with rivals for peace - VP Masumeh Ebtekar - BBC News

Iran wants to work with other powers in the Middle East to promote peace following last month's nuclear deal, Vice-President Masumeh Ebtekar says.

In an interview with the BBC, Ms Ebtekar stressed that Iran had a right to defend itself, but that it had no intention of dominating the region.

Her country hoped to regain the trust of neighbouring states and co-operate to counter extremist groups, she added.

Iran has been accused of fomenting unrest throughout the Middle East.

It provides money and weapons to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the militant Lebanese Shia Islamist group Hezbollah, and allegedly backs Yemen's rebel Zaidi Shia Houthi movement.

But it has also played a major role in the battle against jihadist militants from Islamic State (IS) in Iraq in the past year, mobilising Shia militias and sending advisers to help the Iraqi military.

Vice-President Ebtekar spoke to the BBC's Kim Ghattas during a week-long assignment in Iran - the longest time a BBC correspondent has been granted permission to report from there since June 2009, when the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sparked mass protests.

In the interview, Ms Ebtekar said the recent deal that saw Iran agree to limit its sensitive nuclear activities in return for the end of crippling sanctions represented a "step forward" for the whole world.

"It means a new era of working with the world in terms of different dimensions of trade, cultural exchanges," she explained. "It means that Iran is going to be a more prominent player in this part of the world."

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I wonder though if this will work. The Iranians hold their elections next year and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who is pro-Iranian supremacy is expected to win the elections [via election fraud]. Once he is president Iranian aggression will be taken a notch higher. Since the Ayatollah's want to see Iran become a regional power I doubt they'll want to work with their enemies to restore peace in the Middle East.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I wonder though if this will work. The Iranians hold their elections next year and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad who is pro-Iranian supremacy is expected to win the elections [via election fraud]. Once he is president Iranian aggression will be taken a notch higher. Since the Ayatollah's want to see Iran become a regional power I doubt they'll want to work with their enemies to restore peace in the Middle East.

Is that statement for real or is part of preparation for the elections? And saying that it has no intention of dominating the regions is like courting the friendship of their neighbors. I will take that news remark as a positive thing since it can somehow elicit positive reactions from countries in the region. And if that declaration is genuine and sincere, let's pray that it works out all right.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think Iran may gain more trust from other countries like the USA and also if other countries join them, then we will see the ISIS, group crushed and will take time to do this with the support from others and hope it does happen. The more people understand about the country and culture will show who they really are, and gain trust from others which will see the country move forward and fight groups who are against the country. I reckon that the Vice President has the right view and is not just saying these words, and is going to show by her actions that the country is going to make changes for the better.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Is that statement for real or is part of preparation for the elections? And saying that it has no intention of dominating the regions is like courting the friendship of their neighbors.
Could be they want peace now because they are losing their proxy wars on all fronts. Waving the white flag is the solution to this vexing problem.

Working together for peace, if any country is interested, would be a good strategic retreat to avoid humiliation especially at a time when they [the Iranians] desperately want the world to believe they are a "power" in the Middle East.

axiom_low

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Canada
I doubt Ahmadinejad will be re-elected. The Ayatollah is not fond of him and he has little popular support. The elections are not quite so rigged as to allow a man no one really wants in power to take over. My prediction is a continuation of the current government and it's moderate (relatively) policy.

ke gordon

Reactions
12 0 0
Country
USA
Iran to work with rivals for peace - VP Masumeh Ebtekar - BBC News

Iran wants to work with other powers in the Middle East to promote peace following last month's nuclear deal, Vice-President Masumeh Ebtekar says.

In an interview with the BBC, Ms Ebtekar stressed that Iran had a right to defend itself, but that it had no intention of dominating the region.

Her country hoped to regain the trust of neighbouring states and co-operate to counter extremist groups, she added.

Iran has been accused of fomenting unrest throughout the Middle East.

It provides money and weapons to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and the militant Lebanese Shia Islamist group Hezbollah, and allegedly backs Yemen's rebel Zaidi Shia Houthi movement.

But it has also played a major role in the battle against jihadist militants from Islamic State (IS) in Iraq in the past year, mobilising Shia militias and sending advisers to help the Iraqi military.

Vice-President Ebtekar spoke to the BBC's Kim Ghattas during a week-long assignment in Iran - the longest time a BBC correspondent has been granted permission to report from there since June 2009, when the re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sparked mass protests.

In the interview, Ms Ebtekar said the recent deal that saw Iran agree to limit its sensitive nuclear activities in return for the end of crippling sanctions represented a "step forward" for the whole world.

"It means a new era of working with the world in terms of different dimensions of trade, cultural exchanges," she explained. "It means that Iran is going to be a more prominent player in this part of the world."
I can only hope that is true. Other than the King of Jordan and the late Anwar Sadat I can think of few rulers in the MIddle East who are not either hawklike or crazy. Someone who wants to work for peace sounds like a real blessing for that region. I only hope it is true.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I can only hope that is true. Other than the King of Jordan and the late Anwar Sadat I can think of few rulers in the MIddle East who are not either hawklike or crazy. Someone who wants to work for peace sounds like a real blessing for that region.
It would be a real blessing only if the Ayatollah who recently published a book explaining how they would "annihilate" Israel was the one calling for peace. Since he is the Supreme ruler and obviously [he] doesn't want peace then what any politician thinks or says hardly matters.