Iran violates UN sanction with firing of missile | World Defense

Iran violates UN sanction with firing of missile

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The UN Security Council said that Iran's firing of a ballistic missile is banned under a June 2010 resolution. The medium-range ballistic missile launched in October is actually the first test of a surface-to-surface missile with a range of 1,000 kilometers.

The ban is pointing to the capability of Iran in delivering nuclear weapons. However, Iran denies that its missiles are designed to carry nuclear weapons.

For details - | philstar.com
violated-un-sanctions

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Iran has also developed tunnels to hide their missiles. While like North Korea, Iran has been banned for testing missiles but they still do anyways.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt this will have a bearing on the plans to lift sanctions imposed on Iran because of their nuclear program. The UN knows quite well that few of their security resolutions are ever heeded.

Did they really expect Iran to abide by any UN sanctions? Now that the Iran has violated the sanction what will the UN do? Not much I presume. So why should they even squawk?

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Regardless of the design of the missile they must still stay in line with the rules that have been set. I do agree that this missile probably was not a test of nuclear power, it does show that they are working on something we need to look into. I wonder since this did violate an agreement if we will see any punishment or back lash. I assume we will say "stop that" like we normally do and walk the other way.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
I assume we will say "stop that" like we normally do and walk the other way.
Typical UN response to things like these.

At moment I don't think the UN or member states will want to take any action that will put in jeopardy the "fragile" nuclear deal. Since no one wants to rock the bottom at this time, Iran will get away with virtually anything they do as long as they honor their part of nuclear deal.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Typical UN response to things like these.

At moment I don't think the UN or member states will want to take any action that will put in jeopardy the "fragile" nuclear deal. Since no one wants to rock the bottom at this time, Iran will get away with virtually anything they do as long as they honor their part of nuclear deal.

Agreed. It just really sucks how out in the open the UN tries to play and please all sides. At some point you have to take aim at one problem and solve it. I think to say they don't have the ability to ease some of the tension in the area is letting them off the hook. This is pure neglect. If the UN wanted to clean this up a little they could easily, but why when you making hand over fist $$$$$$$.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Agreed. It just really sucks how out in the open the UN tries to play and please all sides. At some point you have to take aim at one problem and solve it. I think to say they don't have the ability to ease some of the tension in the area is letting them off the hook. This is pure neglect. If the UN wanted to clean this up a little they could easily, but why when you making hand over fist $$$$$$$.
The UN is ineffective because it has to respect the sovereignty of nations. To get action taken against any nation that violates UN's Security Council resolutions they'd have to request the International community to impose sanctions on offending nations. If the International community for some reason can't do anything . . .