Iranian force 'seizes US ship' | World Defense

Iranian force 'seizes US ship'

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/11568724/Iranian-force-seizes-US-cargo-ship.html

By David Lawler, Washington and Reuters

3:24PM BST 28 Apr 2015

Saudi-owned Al Arabiya television said an Iranian "force" seized a cargo ship after opening fire on it in the Gulf on Tuesday and directed it to the Iranian port of Bandar Abbas.

A Pentagon spokesman said Iranian forces had boarded a Marshall Island-flagged vessel, the MV Maersk Tigris, in the Gulf. He said the boarding occurred after Iranian patrol boats fired shots across the vessel's bow and ordered it deeper into Iranian waters.

The ship had no US citizens aboard, the spokesman said, contradicting Al-Arabiya's report which said there were 34 US sailors on board. He said it was travelling through the Strait of Hormuz when the incident occurred.

There was no immediate word from Iranian officials.

Iran has in the past sometimes threatened to block the strait to advance its opposition to sanctions imposed over its nuclear programme.

The channel is a narrow strip of water separating Oman and Iran. It connects the biggest Gulf oil producers, such as Saudi Arabia, with the Gulf of Oman and the Arabian Sea.

At its narrowest point, the strait is 33 km (21 miles) across and consists of 2-mile wide navigable channels for inbound and outbound shipping and a 2-mile-wide buffer zone.

US Naval officials told CNBC that the ship in question is the Marshall Islands-flagged Maersk Tigris. According to Marine Traffic, the ship departed a port in Saudi Arabia last Tuesday and was scheduled to arrive in the United Arab Emirates this evening.

The ship currently appears to be on course for Bandar Abbas, a port in Iran.

It is not immediately clear what motivated Iran to divert the ship, which has a gross weight of 526,000 tons.

We have just recieved a statement from the Col Steve Warren at the Pentagon. He confirms that the Iranians fired on a cargo ship, and that the ship was diverted into Iranian waters.:

"At approximately 0905 Zulu, April 28, M/V Maersk Tigris, a Marshall Islands-flagged cargo vessel, was approached by several Iranian IRGCN patrol vessels while in Iranian territorial waters transiting inbound in the Strait of Hormuz.

The master was contacted and directed to proceed further into Iranian territorial waters. He declined and one of the IRGCN craft fired shots across the bridge of the Maersk Tigris.

The master complied with the Iranian demand and proceeded into Iranian waters in the vicinity of Larak Island. NAVCENT directed a DDG (USS Farragut) to proceed at best speed to the nearest location of Maersk Tigris, and directed aircraft to observe the interaction between the Maersk vessel and the IRGCN craft.

NAVCENT is communicating with representatives of the shipping company and we continue to monitor the situation. According to information received from the vessel's operators, there are no Americans aboard."

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
I was just reading about this. According to the New York Times the US is sending over a Destroyer. The article says they seized the ship and its 34 member crew because they were trespassing.

The New York Times said:
A Pentagon official in Washington said that the commercial cargo ship, the Maersk Tigris, was intercepted by several patrol boats from Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps on Tuesday while traveling through the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf on what the official called “an internationally recognized maritime route.”

Iran Takes Control of Cargo Ship; U.S. Sends Destroyer to Persian Gulf

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
The wolf finally sheds off its sheepskin.

Is this Iran's way of showing the U.S that they don't trust them? What will they gain having fired at, boarded and diverted the ship to Iranian waters? I'm sure this certainly does complicate the nuclear negotiations and Netanyahu must be very happy with the "developments."

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I am starting to get so confused, right now. Who are our allies, who are we posturing against, and who are we trying to negotiate with? There's usually definitive lines drawn... Good guys over here, and bad guys over there. Now there's no lines, loyalties, or friendships at all.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I am starting to get so confused, right now. Who are our allies, who are we posturing against, and who are we trying to negotiate with? There's usually definitive lines drawn... Good guys over here, and bad guys over there. Now there's no lines, loyalties, or friendships at all.

That is the result of Obama foreign policy. Shaking hands with the Mullah of Iran and in return you get a slap.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Only one more year of Obama and then he is bye bye.

Yeah, the lines are fuzzy now. It is hard to distinguish the lines. Those that were allies are now on shaky ground with one another. It is getting harder to figure out who to trust these days.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Guys, you do think that's just happened without a prior agreement with the U.S ? |O|
Iran is a paper tiger .

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
HUH? Why would the US agree for the Iranians to take one of our cargo ships and then we turn around and send a destroyer after them? Please tell me I am misunderstanding you because that sounds ridiculous.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Only one more year of Obama and then he is bye bye.

Yeah, the lines are fuzzy now. It is hard to distinguish the lines. Those that were allies are now on shaky ground with one another. It is getting harder to figure out who to trust these days.

The US allies are the only one that should question the US foreign policy not the other way around.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
HUH? Why would the US agree for the Iranians to take one of our cargo ships and then we turn around and send a destroyer after them? Please tell me I am misunderstanding you because that sounds ridiculous.

The military operation in Yemen proved that Iran is just talk with NO deeds.:p
And here U.S' rule to back Iran's propaganda again and showing people that oh you have to worry Iran is a powerful country .Iran seized an American ship .

lol

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Dude, or government is whacked, I will say that... but not that whacked. It proves nothing for the Iranians by this happening. A single Destroyer to get our ship back does not make them look big and bad. It just makes them look stupid. I seriously doubt the US had any "agreement" with them on this.

Actually Russia has done some bold things with the US. Shall I name the U boats that reached our shores during WWII?

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Dude, or government is whacked, I will say that... but not that whacked. It proves nothing for the Iranians by this happening. A single Destroyer to get our ship back does not make them look big and bad. It just makes them look stupid. I seriously doubt the US had any "agreement" with them on this.

Actually Russia has done some bold things with the US. Shall I name the U boats that reached our shores during WWII?

You and me and many people know the military capabilities of the U.S ,but on the other side there are millions of people don't know that .For that reason, pro-Iran will see this as a victory and that will increase the Iranian propaganda in the region !

Pro-Iran will see Iran as a super power country because it seized a ship belongs to the No. 1 military force in the world .

I wish you will understand my point .

User911

BANNED
Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
Welcome to the world of Barack Obama and John Kerry. Between the two, they have managed to piss off almost all our allies and grovel on their knees to all our enemies. Now, the entire world doesn't trust us anymore. Ain't it just grand? (Note sarcasm.)

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
You and me and many people know the military capabilities of the U.S ,but on the other side there are millions of people don't know that .For that reason, pro-Iran will see this as a victory and that will increase the Iranian propaganda in the region !

Pro-Iran will see Iran as a super power country because it seized a ship belongs to the No. 1 military force in the world .

I wish you will understand my point .
A morale boost? Or intimidation for their enemies? I can see that. Kind of like when the biggest guy on the prison block lets the little guy beat him up. The big guy can beat anyone in there so it doesn't bother him to let the little guy have it, and the little guy earns respect because they think he's a bad***