THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Iranians mock US captives in parade to mark revolution

_88221949_22bahman.png
Image copyrightTwitter/@rezahn56

Iranians dressed up as US sailors marched through the streets of one city to mock Americans on the anniversary of the country's revolution - but some Iranians criticised the demonstration.

Every year Iranians mark the anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution with parades and celebrations which often include flag-burning and anti-Western chants. This year in the conservative religious city of Qom the organisers of a local parade took those sentiments one step further - with locals dressing up to mock American sailors.

_88221953_22bahman-2.png
Image copyrightTwitter/@RezaDehaki
The display, which included men wearing camouflage and bound by plastic chains, was a reference to the detention of 10 American sailors in mid-January. That incident caused a diplomatic ripple amid continuing negotiations around Iran's nuclear programme, and the sailors were swiftly released.

Photos of Thursday's parade in Qom were published on state media outlets and widely shared online. One of the fake sailors appeared to be a man dressed as a woman (one of the Americans captured was a woman). Another covered his face with a tissue as if he was crying - a reference to video recently broadcast on Iranian TV which seemed to show one of the Americans weeping.

_88221955_22bahman-3.png
Image copyrightTwitter/@RezaDahaki
Follow BBC Trending on Facebook
Join the conversation on this and other stories here.

The anniversary celebrations are called "Ten Days of Dawn" and culminate in street celebrations, with participants made up largely of ardent supporters of Iran's hardline establishment. The Qom photos showed a jubilant crowd, but some Iranians online criticised the parade, calling it "bizarre" and a "circus". Twitter and Facebook are banned inside Iran, so the reaction, while critical, probably isn't broadly representative of views inside the country.

AP_iran_parade_jef_160211_4x3_992.jpg

"What a cheap, ugly and ridiculous move!" one Iranian said on Twitter. "What are they trying to prove by this ridiculous show," one user added on Facebook. "Even if Iran and America are at war against each other, which they are not, what kind of messages are these kinds of cheap acts trying to convey to the American people, who like us, love their soldiers?"

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
I totally agree with the end monologue, what they're trying to achieve with this is retarded. What are they so mad about? Are they mad that we live in a significantly improved nation with a high standard of living? Pretty funny. I guess I'll go get that pizza I ordered.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
I totally agree with the end monologue, what they're trying to achieve with this is retarded. What are they so mad about? Are they mad that we live in a significantly improved nation with a high standard of living? Pretty funny. I guess I'll go get that pizza I ordered.

LoL enjoy your pizza.

In all seriousness what Iran has done is so cheap. Soldiers should be treated with respect even if they get captured and they shouldn't be mocked by either side. This call ethics of war. But hey how are we talking to.... the barbaric mullas of Iran.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
LoL enjoy your pizza.

In all seriousness what Iran has done is so cheap. Soldiers should be treated with respect even if they get captured and they shouldn't be mocked by either side. This call ethics of war. But hey how are we talking to.... the barbaric mullas of Iran.
The Middle East in general has too many wars, and although a lot of people aren't impressed with the United State's reputation as a "world police", I really think that more ME occupants should be thankful for Western involvement. In fact, I remember reading articles about the new Iranian generation being more conforming to Western ideals, which I think is a really great thing. I don't mind middle eastern culture, I just don't appreciate their misogynistic ways and their treatment of women in particular.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
That's an amusing parade, if you would ask me. It may not be an official act for I believe creative people have done that not really for their nationalism but to put flavor to the occasion. And those creative people were right since that mocking of American military men reached the international headlines. Who knows if the Saudi Arabians are laughing at that or not, huh.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
That's an amusing parade, if you would ask me. It may not be an official act for I believe creative people have done that not really for their nationalism but to put flavor to the occasion. And those creative people were right since that mocking of American military men reached the international headlines. Who knows if the Saudi Arabians are laughing at that or not, huh.
Yeah, at the same time I won't say that I don't condone free speech. I wouldn't be the guy who would want to punish those guys as everyone has their own viewpoints. I suppose it would be somewhat amusing if you weren't very understanding of the perspectives of the captured soldiers.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I doubt that Iran would appreciate the United States or any other nation doing likewise. This display shows a distinct lack of morals, ethics and class. If someone goes to war, he or she should be appreciated and treated with respect. There are codes of civilized behavior that Iran is breaking in doing this, but then again, despite their claims of having wonderful cultural traditions, they obviously aren't civilized, and don't follow the codes of behavior subscribed to by most advanced nations.

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Such a display might be amusing to foreigners, but many Americans are highly offended. For instance, the reaction in the US to the original kidnappings was very angry. In fact, it was a major factor in Carter losing the presidential election.

Of course, due to ethnocentricism, what one group finds funny, another does not. However, I feel a lot of the snickering and laughter from non-Americans comes from jealousy. However, the idea the US is responsible for world poverty is sort of a lie.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Such a display might be amusing to foreigners, but many Americans are highly offended. For instance, the reaction in the US to the original kidnappings was very angry. In fact, it was a major factor in Carter losing the presidential election.

Of course, due to ethnocentricism, what one group finds funny, another does not. However, I feel a lot of the snickering and laughter from non-Americans comes from jealousy. However, the idea the US is responsible for world poverty is sort of a lie.

That would not have happened if GB was the president or John McCain. The U.S was humiliated and did nothing in return.

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Honestly speaking, a lot of Americans are racist and have no problem calling people racial slurs or mocking other cultures. However, when the USA is mocked they are shocked. Again, as I was saying, ethnocentricism causes people to only see things from thier own culture's POV.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yeah, I've to agree with some posts, Iranians are jealous people. But I don't see them mocking the solders because of their cultures. It's for the purpose of show off. Iranians are just taking pride in capturing soldiers of the strongest country in the world [U.S]. Iranian regime thinks that this circus show could give him some kind of distinction among his competitors in the region and in front of his people.

Anyway, that only reflects the very limited countermeasures that Iran has. Let's not mention ethics here, because Iranian regime doesn't has any.

In my perspective, I don't see this is funny. The captured crew members should be respected and treated well, this the ethics of war. There was no need for offending other people or these uncivilized shows. I have never seen this happening elsewhere, but only in Iran.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I don't agree that many Americans are racists, but that's my experience. I do think there are probably pockets of it here in the United States, as in any other country, and it's for the most part limited to those who tend to be clannish, and fearful of outsiders and their influence. I've mentioned elsewhere on the site that I grew up in an area with various cultures, and we were all friends, co-workers, classmates, etc. I think divisiveness is increasing for some reason, possibly because things are being talked about openly these days that weren't in the past.

arthnel

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Talk about a country divided. The older Iranians are not going to like America, and guess what...that is absolutely fine. I like being in the position of you need me more than I need you. America will always have the upper hand. New generation Iranians are going to destroy any legacy left behind by old school thinkers in Iran. They support a global community working together without the bullshit about religion and past matters.