Iraq Armed Forces | Page 3 | World Defense

Iraq Armed Forces

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I loved the information but the first thing that jumped off the page to me was the 6billion dollars in budget. How is that even possible. There has to be a way that we can help and also a way the country can defend themselves without an insane budget. There needs to be more money spent on civilian rebuilding instead of dumping all the cash into the military. This is done all around the world. No way does Iraq need that much money poured into this military.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
I loved the information but the first thing that jumped off the page to me was the 6billion dollars in budget. How is that even possible. There has to be a way that we can help and also a way the country can defend themselves without an insane budget. There needs to be more money spent on civilian rebuilding instead of dumping all the cash into the military. This is done all around the world. No way does Iraq need that much money poured into this military.
Iraq seems to be spending more on the military because of how many insurgencies there are and how much issues there is. Turkey did invade Northern Iraq in 2008 and there is the conflict in Syria. Though i do agree, more can be done for the civilians. I know many military deals have faltered, for example the US wanted to counter the Russian MI-28 with the AH-64 to Iraq but the MI-28 won and the US withdraw the AH-64s.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
Iraqi CH-4 UAV
CH-4.jpg

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
Iraq seems to be spending more on the military because of how many insurgencies there are and how much issues there is. Turkey did invade Northern Iraq in 2008 and there is the conflict in Syria. Though i do agree, more can be done for the civilians. I know many military deals have faltered, for example the US wanted to counter the Russian MI-28 with the AH-64 to Iraq but the MI-28 won and the US withdraw the AH-64s.

There are about 40 something government sponsored religiously motivated militias in Iraq aside from the regular army I guess that explain the increase in defence budget.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
There are about 40 something government sponsored religiously motivated militias in Iraq aside from the regular army I guess that explain the increase in defence budget.
Yes bro that is what i was mentioning about to. 40 different militias wanting to take a chunk out of Iraq is a good reason for a large security budget. I know Iraq has procured several of their new military vehicles from the US, Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan, China, Jordan etc. i just hope Iraq goes back to being a stable region.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yes bro that is what i was mentioning about to. 40 different militias wanting to take a chunk out of Iraq is a good reason for a large security budget. I know Iraq has procured several of their new military vehicles from the US, Russia, Ukraine, Pakistan, China, Jordan etc. i just hope Iraq goes back to being a stable region.

Iraq needs someone like Saddam to get back on its feet. Shias throughout history have proven themselves to be incapable of even leading herd let alone leading a country.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's weird seeing Iraqi forces with all this modern equipment and weaponry. I always picture Iraq as how I saw it on news reports and stuff back years ago with dated ex-Soviet equipment. It's weird seeing it with all this new stuff.

During the last wars they buried loads of aircraft in the sands around their airbases. I wonder if there's some stuff laying yet undiscovered out there?

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
I agree but they still use the standard Soviet systems but not as much as back in the times of Hussein's era. They procure many Soviet systems from Poland, Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Czech Republic, Ukraine and Russia.

Iraqi EC-635
EC-635.jpg

Juanpeace

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
I agree the budget must not be all spent on Military strength, Remember a lot of the Iraq military deserted or abandoned their posts when the ISIS started their attacks ISIS gained a lot of military hardware during their onslaught on several cities. What the Iraqi government should do is improve the morale of the Army instill discipline and a sense of pride in their profession. The budget could be used to provide economic assistance to the family of soldiers, medical facilities to aid the civilian population must be maintained. The improvement of tactics and strategy must be the main concern rather than buying a lot of hardware and supplies and not be able to use it.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
So Iraq has kicked a major operation against the Kurds...wondering how they are doing it now with the recent armaments they received.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
German armed forces suspend training ops in Iraq on regional tensions
May 15, 2019

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany is suspending military training operations in Iraq due to increasing regional tensions, a spokesman for the Defence Ministry said on Wednesday.

Germany has no indications of its own of attacks supported by Iran, he said. He added that training programmes could resume in the coming days.

Focus Online said the decision had been taken in coordination with partner countries fighting Islamic State in the region.

A spokesman for the German Defence Ministry said the German armed forces had 160 soldiers involved in the training deployment in Iraq.

(Story corrected to show Germany has no indications of potential attacks supported by Iran and tweaks wording in paragraph 2 on training resumption)

Reporting by Tassilo Hummel and Sabine Siebold; Editing by Madeline Chambers