Iraq extends air blockade of KRG by three months | World Defense

Iraq extends air blockade of KRG by three months

Doritos11

Reactions
28 2 0
Country
Iraq
Iraq has extended by three months a ban on international flights to the autonomous Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG), a senior official at the Arbil airport said on Feb. 26.

The federal government in Baghdad first imposed the air blockade in September after Iraqi Kurdistan voted overwhelmingly for independence in a non-binding referendum rejected as illegal by the central government.

It was extended in December for two months and was to run until February 28 but the authorities decided to renew it for three months, the official said.
“We have been informed by the civil aviation authority in Baghdad that the ban on international flights to and from Arbil and Sulaimaniyah airports has been extended until the end of May,” he said. “Only internal flights are authorized.”

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Is it for safety reasons or prevent arm supplies to the Kurds?

Doritos11

Reactions
28 2 0
Country
Iraq
Is it for safety reasons or prevent arm supplies to the Kurds?
Neither. In late 2017 Iraqi forces took back Kirkuk and other area's from the KRG due to their independence referendum and continious violations. Baghdad is demanding federal control over the airport and borders, KRG is not willing to give in thus the blockade got extended.

Personally I believe the ISF should be all over the north like in 1990, except leave the cities to be ruled by Peshmerga given they're mostly Kurds who despise us.

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Neither. In late 2017 Iraqi forces took back Kirkuk and other area's from the KRG due to their independence referendum and continious violations. Baghdad is demanding federal control over the airport and borders, KRG is not willing to give in thus the blockade got extended.

Personally I believe the ISF should be all over the north like in 1990, except leave the cities to be ruled by Peshmerga given they're mostly Kurds who despise us.

If it was not for the overthrown of Saddam whom I despise, the Kurds would not have developed such enmity to the current government of Iraq. In facts the Kurds were not willing to break off had the central government not drove out terror militias into their territory.

Doritos11

Reactions
28 2 0
Country
Iraq
If it was not for the overthrown of Saddam whom I despise, the Kurds would not have developed such enmity to the current government of Iraq. In facts the Kurds were not willing to break off had the central government not drove out terror militias into their territory.

Kurds have eternal animosity to Iraq, not to the central government. In the 1991 protests the Kurds pretended to side or support the struggle of the protests in the south against Saddam, today they pretend to support the struggle of Sunnis against Baghdad which is no longer valid. It`s not the government of Baghdad, it`s that Kurds have a policy which is anti-Iraq, anti-Syria, anti-Turkey. When the KRG took Kerkuk in 2014 they adopted a Kurdification policy against locals including Sunni Arabs, until the recent trashing.

The animosity goes back well before the Ba`ath era. Here you can see the previous ruler of Iraq Abdul Karim Qasim who is a half Kurd himself. The boy on his side is Massoud Barzani, despite all that Kurds continued attacks against the regime which had made Kurdish an official language back in 1958.
Massoud_Barzani_%26_Abd_al-Karim_Qasim.jpg

The seperatist foreigners benefitted from a weakened Iraq in several stages. First the Iran-Iraq war gave them an opportunity to side with the enemy (Iran). Then they had another chance after the 1991 Gulf war under the protection of the northern no-fly zone. Which was followed by 2 other opportunities which are the 2003 invasion and the 2014 collapse of the ISF. This applies to Syria, Turkey and Iran as well. I believe Abadi is a weak ruler not ready to address the northern problem, they should release Sultan Ahmad Hasim al Tai and put him in charge of northern operations.

I don't see Arabs, Turkmens, Assyrians waiting on Koordistan and a poster of Barzani. Not that they're a problem anymore, the Peshmerga has no experience and got elevated by western propaganda. After the election it's time for another trashing hopefully, this time to reach Turkish borders and to Arabize the Peshmerga.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Kurds have eternal animosity to Iraq, not to the central government. In the 1991 protests the Kurds pretended to side or support the struggle of the protests in the south against Saddam, today they pretend to support the struggle of Sunnis against Baghdad which is no longer valid. It`s not the government of Baghdad, it`s that Kurds have a policy which is anti-Iraq, anti-Syria, anti-Turkey. When the KRG took Kerkuk in 2014 they adopted a Kurdification policy against locals including Sunni Arabs, until the recent trashing.

The animosity goes back well before the Ba`ath era. Here you can see the previous ruler of Iraq Abdul Karim Qasim who is a half Kurd himself. The boy on his side is Massoud Barzani, despite all that Kurds continued attacks against the regime which had made Kurdish an official language back in 1958.
Massoud_Barzani_%26_Abd_al-Karim_Qasim.jpg

The seperatist foreigners benefitted from a weakened Iraq in several stages. First the Iran-Iraq war gave them an opportunity to side with the enemy (Iran). Then they had another chance after the 1991 Gulf war under the protection of the northern no-fly zone. Which was followed by 2 other opportunities which are the 2003 invasion and the 2014 collapse of the ISF. This applies to Syria, Turkey and Iran as well. I believe Abadi is a weak ruler not ready to address the northern problem, they should release Sultan Ahmad Hasim al Tai and put him in charge of northern operations.

I don't see Arabs, Turkmens, Assyrians waiting on Koordistan and a poster of Barzani. Not that they're a problem anymore, the Peshmerga has no experience and got elevated by western propaganda. After the election it's time for another trashing hopefully, this time to reach Turkish borders and to Arabize the Peshmerga.

So what is going to happen to the Kurds fighting in Syria for independent? Are there any joint action? As far as I know several european countries are providing the Kurds with training and equipments. I think @Bundeswehr had confirmed that before.

Jaeger

Professional
Reactions
1,627 13 0
Country
Germany
So what is going to happen to the Kurds fighting in Syria for independent? Are there any joint action? As far as I know several european countries are providing the Kurds with training and equipments. I think @Bundeswehr had confirmed that before.
USA, Germany, France etc. all have helped the Kurds in one form or the other by either arming them, training or by doing airstrikes on Daesh so the Kurds could retake positions.
but doing so NATO has upset Iraq, Turkey by helping their enemies, Germany has ended weapons and training missions in Erbil and the only real big player now is the US who is setting up bases in Rojava.