Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Iraq receives more T-72s, BMP-1s
Jiri Kominek, Prague - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
17 December 2015
1646371_-_main.jpg

The Iraqi MoD released this photograph on 29 November showing that BMP-1s are in service with the 9th Armoured Division's 34th Brigade. Source: Iraqi MoD

The Iraqi Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on 16 December that it had received a consignment of tanks, armoured vehicles, and ammunition from Bulgaria. It provided no further details.

The announcement came after photographs began circulating on social media showing a T-72 tank and as many as 12 BMP-1 infantry fighting vehicles (IFVs) that had purportedly been delivered to Iraq.

A deal to supply Iraq with 500 refurbished MT-LB armoured vehicles was announced by the Bulgarian prime minister in 2012 but the export data the country has subsequently filed with the UN only recorded the delivery of one MT-LB in 2012-2014, presumably for test and evaluation purposes.

Bulgaria donated 18 D-20 howitzers to Iraq in addition to 130 mortars of various calibres in 2014.

Previous consignments of T-72 tanks and BMP-1 IFVs have been supplied to Iraq by the Czech defence company Excalibur Army.

Excalibur declined to confirm or deny whether it was involved in the latest consignment.

"All I can confirm is that Excalibur Army continues to fulfil its contract with the Iraqi Ministry of Defence to supply refurbished T-72 main battle tanks and BVP-1 [Czechoslovakian-built BMP-1] infantry fighting vehicles, deliveries of which began earlier this year and will continue over a period of time that we together with the customer have agreed not to specify," Excalibur spokesperson Andrej Cirtek told IHS Jane's on 17 December.

"I cannot rule out that the platforms the Iraqi defence ministry recently took delivery of from Bulgaria were supplied by another source," he said.

Cirtek confirmed to IHS Jane's in early February that Excalibur Army signed a contract with the Iraqi MoD to supply a mixture of 100 and T-72s and BVP-1s over several years and claimed that both parties agreed not to disclose the value of the contract. The contract also covers spare parts and services, including the training of Iraqi Army technicians to maintain the vehicles.
Iraq receives more T-72s, BMP-1s | IHS Jane's 360

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully this equipment will be able to give the Iraqi Army an edge in the fight with IS. Is the T-72 and BVP-1 still in production? Does Russia still make them or do other countries do it under license now?

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Is the T-72 and BVP-1 still in production? Does Russia still make them or do other countries do it under license now?

Yes, both T-72 and BMP-1 are still in production in Russia and they were produced in other countries, but now most of arms buyers go for Russians, because they've modern versions of them and different variants.

BMP-1 is manufactured by Kurganskiy Mashinostroitelyniy Zavod in Russia, Czechoslovakia ,Czech Republic and India under license (not sure if they still produce it). It's also manufactured in China with a different name (Type 86), but it's unlicensed copy. (:-)

T-72 was manufactured under licenses by Poland and Czechoslovakia, but old versions. The designs and production details of the T-72 were also given to China by the Soviets in the late 80s, and the Chinese have made several projects based on the T-72 MBT such as Type 80/85/88 , Type 90, Type 96, and Type 98.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, both T-72 and BMB-1 are still in production in Russia and they were produced in other countries, but now most of arms buyers go for Russians, because they've modern versions of them and different variants.

BMB-1 is manufactured by Kurganskiy Mashinostroitelyniy Zavod in Russia, Czechoslovakia ,Czech Republic and India under license (not sure if they still produce it). It's also manufactured in China with a different name (Type 86), but it's unlicensed copy. (:-)

T-72 was manufactured under licenses by Poland and Czechoslovakia, but old versions. The designs and production details of the T-72 were also given to China by the Soviets in the late 80s, and the Chinese have made several projects based on the T-72 MBT such as Type 80/85/88 , Type 90, Type 96, and Type 98.

Many thanks for the info! :)

I was surprised India is producing the BMB-1, and it comes as no real surprise to me that China is producing an unlicensed copy :D. I think they did the same sort of thing with the Mig-21 and the SU-27...could be wrong though.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Many thanks for the info! :)

I was surprised India is producing the BMB-1, and it comes as no real surprise to me that China is producing an unlicensed copy :D. I think they did the same sort of thing with the Mig-21 and the SU-27...could be wrong though.

You are welcome !:)
Just by mistake I wrote BMB-1 , its correct name is BMP-1 , sorry for that. D:-O

Yes, it's surprising. India is growing in defense industry. Now they produce BMP-II (Sarath) :

BMP-2.jpg

China has a strong capabilities in reverse engineering. They copy everything .|0|

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
This is a heartwarming news if you are not a follower of ISIS. Bulgaria's donation is very encouraging for Iraq to fight off the ISIS forces that are still there. From what I understand, ISIS in Iraw is a weak force and isolated unlike in Syria where ISIS seems to be a dominant force. With those refurbished weaponry and Iraq's traditional army, they should now have all the reasons to defeat ISIS in Iraq.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
You are welcome !:)
Just by mistake I wrote BMB-1 , its correct name is BMP-1 , sorry for that. D:-O

Yes, it's surprising. India is growing in defense industry. Now they produce BMP-II (Sarath) :

BMP-2.jpg

China has a strong capabilities in reverse engineering. They copy everything .|0|

No probs :)

Seems like India is trying to strengthen their military a bit lately. They are also doing the same with their air force if I'm not mistaken.

As for China, well I have to hand it to them for being able to engineer stuff the way they do. It'll also be pretty interesting to see how the world reacts to their new own designed jet fighter. If the stereotype is to be played out here, it'll need a hell of a lot of maintenance! :D

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
It certainly will help in fighting against the ISIS. I think Iraq has lesser problems then Syria but still every help is welcome. It is really too bad we are witnessing this wars and that we do not help each other with food and care but with tanks and other weapons. But, it is the time we live in and I am glad these tanks are going to help. It is not the only thing they got recently, concerning weapons. I believe I read an article about something else but I forgot about it. Hope they will manage to use this help in best way.

Esperahol

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
While good to hear that Iraq is getting some much needed military supplies... I am a bit nonplussed by both how long Bulgaria is taking to fulfill a single contract as well as by the shadiness of the dialogue. I mean what exactly does, "I cannot rule out that the platforms the Iraqi defense ministry recently took delivery of from Bulgaria were supplied by another source" mean? Oh well, this is simply something I'll have to make a point of investigating apparently.