Is America the most powerful country in the world? | Page 2 | World Defense

Is America the most powerful country in the world?

mikka254

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Kenya
It depends on what you mean by power. Years ago, a powerful country was measured by the nuclear power it possessed but after talks declared that there are regulations to the number of nuclear weapons and nuclear weaponry development, now power is measured by wealth and influence. That's why the Chinese are taking over most of the companies in the US and using business to influence what is going on. Some of the things that might seem to not be going in their favor might be a staged ten year plan so we all need to be vigilante on current affairs and not just the violence.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I guess it really depends on what you consider to be powerful. In terms of military strength, I believe they are some of the best trained and best equipped soldiers, but they are probably equal in terms of nuclear capabilities.

Urhin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Australia
I really do think that their power comes from their people and their top education. America has the best schools. They have the most number of best ones. They have produced the most number of Nobel Prize awardees. In terms of science, they lead. Even the artists from the different parts of the world of different nations flock to America and stay there.

Actually America scores very low in many education ranking indicators. They have an extremely poor public education system and in many states you'll find underfunded schools with underpaid, underqualified staff. There's no standardized syllabi, and the system for testing and streaming students is extremely fragmented. When you go to their colleges, tuition fees are rapidly rising with students taking decades to repay student loans.

Sure they have many Nobel Prize awardees, but that's just banking on past success. The America today has a collapsing education infrastructure.

Brady2121

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
LOL! This made me laugh so hard. Best schools and people with top education? The smartest people on this planet are Chinese. Germans even have smarter people than America. America has the money and the military power but China will surpass them within the next 2 decade. No nation stays most powerful for ever and if you know history then you will realize that the American empire like others will fall one day.

You're 100% right! America hasn't been a top power for quite sometime. Although we think we are. Anyone who thinks we are the smartest people clearly hasn't done their homework.

Urhin

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Australia
You're 100% right! America hasn't been a top power for quite sometime. Although we think we are. Anyone who thinks we are the smartest people clearly hasn't done their homework.

My point exactly. We need to look at the facts here, not blindly go with our gut feelings. It's true that America has a very well established tertiary education system. The University of California colleges for example all produce excellent students and great research. But they are quickly being surpassed by the Scandinavian countries in education. Militarily, the Americans are still on top of course. But a big stick can only get you so far.

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Obviously, United States of America has it all: military/army superiority, largest economy, size of population and land mass, educational standard of most people, and their technology advancement. These are some reasons why USA is such a powerful nation.

Military/army superiority?? I guess I can't argue that

largest economy? Yeah.... not! Our economy has been declining for quite some time.... you realize we are still climbing out of a recession right?

size of population and land mass? I don't know what land mass has to do with anything, but China has a larger population then we do.

educational standard? Your serious???? You actually think our educational standards are high?

Technology advancement? So paying other countries to give us our technology makes us more technologically advanced.... interesting concept.

What makes us a powerful nation has nothing to any of it. We are strategically and militantly smart. That is what makes us powerful. Nothing else. We don't have money, our technology comes from elsewhere, and our education is falling behind. Just about every nations peoples think the worse of us because their governments keep calling us in to save their butts when we don't really even want to be there.... I think the US needs to go back to the way we were before WWI and let the other nations fend for themselves for a change. We need to work on ourselves and let the other nations deal with their own problems... but then we would be hated for NOT getting involved in their nations issues.... double edged sword.

tipoywizard

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Philippines
Yes. United States of America is still the most powerful country in the world. Advanced technology, big and influential economy and superior military makes it the current number country in terms of power and influence. There is an article that states that China overtakes the US as the largest economy in the world, yes it might be true but in terms of influence US is still leading. There is also a ranking made about the most powerful military in the world and US is still on top followed by Russia.

Most Powerful Military Ranking - Business Insider

KimberlyD

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
USA
Love the keyword there tipoywizard.... the US is powerful because of their influence and not for anything we have. Our might comes from our influence. If you really wanted to go tit for tat.... Russia and the UK are head to head with the US. We are the three most powerful nations with the heaviest military, economic, and social standings in the world.... the US tops them only by a margin because of our influence with other countries.

Tigoci

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
4 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's not very good to live in the USA as opposed to Sweden or the like, but Sweden is unquestionably less powerful than the USA. I'd still rather live in Sweden though.

I think this is a good way to sum it up. Is America the most powerful country in the world? Probably. Name just about any field of military, technology, economy etc, and America is probably the leading country. That being said, America has a lot of internal problems; a dysfunctional political system, inequality, educational system, the media, you name it. If you compare to many European countries, they're doing a ton better, discussing internal issues. The thing is that no EU country is anywhere near the size or capacity of the US - economically, militarily or culturally. Technology-wise, well, they use whatever America invented exceptions exist, obviously.
To answer your questions, yes, as I see it, America still is the most powerful nation on earth.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
In the areas that you have mentioned regarding education and science, yes America is leading in these, in my opinion. In addition it also leads in military strength because of the technology and training that it has. But there are nations that are already trying to catch up, like China, and this is because they are economically growing fast. Regardless of power, nations should just help each other and maintain peace and harmony with each other. Powerful countries should help those who are weaker that are being oppressed by other nations.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well on what basis does one judge the most powerful country? Is is military, economy or social well being? Everyone will think they are the most powerful but we will never truly know until various nations are called upon to demonstrate their power in a conflict.