Is Sun Tzu's ancient knowledge still influencing war today? | World Defense

Is Sun Tzu's ancient knowledge still influencing war today?

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I read "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu a few years ago, it's a book that's primarily about military strategy. I remember seeing an article on how it is still influences military leaders today but can't find it unfortunately. Do you think this is true?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
The principles of ground warfare have not changed since the times of Sun Tzu. Traditionally the army can always be divided into 3 branches; infantry, calvary and artillery. This has again held true for over 3000 years. Artillery traditionally meant siege engines such as catapults etc.

About the only thing that has changed is the scale. Sun Tzu talks about intelligence and supplies. His points where valid thousands of years ago, and they are still valid today.

That is why the book is still read.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The principles of ground warfare have not changed since the times of Sun Tzu. Traditionally the army can always be divided into 3 branches; infantry, calvary and artillery. This has again held true for over 3000 years. Artillery traditionally meant siege engines such as catapults etc.

About the only thing that has changed is the scale. Sun Tzu talks about intelligence and supplies. His points where valid thousands of years ago, and they are still valid today.

That is why the book is still read.
That's a good summary of what I was trying to say, thanks! Do you think his knowledge is so wide spread that to stay one step ahead military leaders assume Sun Tzu's knowledge to be used and therefore counter it?

orangesunset

Reactions
47 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
That's a good summary of what I was trying to say, thanks! Do you think his knowledge is so wide spread that to stay one step ahead military leaders assume Sun Tzu's knowledge to be used and therefore counter it?

You have to actually read the book, it is an Asian book in that it does not provide direct answers. Try to envision the book as a set of carpentry tools, so you have a hammer, saw, drill, chisel etc. Then he explains how to use each of the tools. A true craftsman has to be able to use all of the tools together, and there are countless combinations in how the tools can be used.

So the way to counter is by using the tools in a different way.

Sun Tzu's book was a favorite of Maos, supposedly he used to read it every day. Mao was a brilliant general as history has shown, but his economic and political beliefs left much to be desired.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
You have to actually read the book, it is an Asian book in that it does not provide direct answers. Try to envision the book as a set of carpentry tools, so you have a hammer, saw, drill, chisel etc. Then he explains how to use each of the tools. A true craftsman has to be able to use all of the tools together, and there are countless combinations in how the tools can be used.

So the way to counter is by using the tools in a different way.

Sun Tzu's book was a favorite of Maos, supposedly he used to read it every day. Mao was a brilliant general as history has shown, but his economic and political beliefs left much to be desired.
That's a great explanation, thanks! I'm looking into Maos, do you have any other recommendations on the same topic? Also do you think Sun Tzu's knowledge can be used in other areas of life?

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well as the saying goes 'there is nothing new under the sun', the principles of war has not changed from ancient times the only thing that has changed are the weapons and equipment that are available. I find that the ancient principles are very useful to modern life and therefore I think it does influence modern military tactics to a point.

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
I think it is the foundation of basic military strategy. It is still being used, consciously or not.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think it is the foundation of basic military strategy. It is still being used, consciously or not.
That's what I was trying to say. I think Sun Tzu might have inspired military leaders to such an extent that his knowledge is now how we fight wars, even if these military leaders have never read his book.