Is The Army Deployed to Keep Order in Your Nation? | World Defense

Is The Army Deployed to Keep Order in Your Nation?

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
A number of politicians in my region complained when the army was deployed to flush out terrorists who killed a group of policemen. They carried a thorough search where the attack occurred. Citizens in that region complained that the army was rough and intimidation. Has this every occurred in your region?

CanisLupas

Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Thailand
We are under martial law still here in Thailand - we have a military government that ousted the corrupt but democratically elected government last year in a coup. The "terrorists" here and not insurgents (although we have that in the South with Indonesian Muslim insurgence killing school teachers, policemen and monks as young as 9, almost daily) but political groups and mobs thereof - all crying the same "democratic" mantras,. that are closer to the extremes - i.e democracy is only true if it is MY democracy - otherwise it is undemocratic - erm, sounds like fascism/communism to me!

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
In America, that's what the states' Police-Departments are said to be trained-, equipped- & paid-to do. And I suppose they are successful for the most-part; yes there are highly-broadcast tales of their 'mistakes' (suffocating a man to death coz he was African-American & scary, etc.), but I'm not afraid that ravaging hordes will overtake my neighborhood anytime soon!

political groups and mobs thereof - all crying the same "democratic" mantras,. that are closer to the extremes - i.e democracy is only true if it is MY democracy - otherwise it is undemocratic - erm, sounds like fascism/communism to me!
"Democracy" is a slight misnomer. True democracy would be 'anarchy'---each individual heading his own kingdom & willing to destroy anyone who claims dominion over them in any way. No, America is not a democracy; it is a republic ... barely even 'democratic' in its leaders' elections!

Our government has three branches, and we citizens only control a tiny percentage of ONE of the branches (while one of them is made of members whom another branch chooses, and THAT branch--though there's a 'popular vote' to help leaders decide to elect him--is elected by a secret committee ... or something).

No, the closest thing we have to a "democracy" is in the marketplace, although that IS "ruled" by 'how much money you control.'

gmckee1985

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
No, the military doesn't keep order in America. That falls on local police departments. And they do a pretty good job. Crime has been in a free fall in America for the previous couple of decades so we're really seeing a lot of improvement in quality of life. Police have done an excellent job. You'll hear about isolated cases of police brutality, but I definitely don't want around being afraid of what's going to happen to me. I am certainly glad I don't live in a country where martial law and military rule is the norm.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
No, the military doesn't keep order in America. That falls on local police departments. And they do a pretty good job. Crime has been in a free fall in America for the previous couple of decades so we're really seeing a lot of improvement in quality of life. Police have done an excellent job. You'll hear about isolated cases of police brutality, but I definitely don't want around being afraid of what's going to happen to me. I am certainly glad I don't live in a country where martial law and military rule is the norm.

What's the difference between "police" & "peace-keeping military"? I can guess it's something like 'Police serve fellow citizens, while soldiers are more like prison-guards' (i.e. rather than keeping peace 'between equals,' it might be "neutralizing any possible-threat"; but I try not to get involved enough to care too much about it).

Anyway, your description of 'crime-rates being in a free-fall' ... where is this statistic? :XX:The Daily Show with Jon Stewart (where I get all my news) featured an interview with the writer of Ghettocide, who said that--though crime-rates have been 'drastically reduced' (or 'fewer crimes have been reported--_=)--the 'racial percentage' of apprehended African-Americans is still an overwhelming majority : [

Peachdejour

Reactions
22 0 0
Country
USA
In the United States, we have the police departments that respond first. If they cannot control a situation, the governor of the state will call in the National Guard. They are civilian soldiers that provide services only inside the USA. So, if there is a tornado, or riot. They would be sent in to assist with clean-up, rescue, and crowd control and other various jobs we need military forces.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
The original purpose of the army is to protect the citizens of a nation. You can say that that's basically what our soldiers are trying to do: to protect the citizenry from all kinds of threat including but not limited to terrorism. Sure, there are a few bad apples thrown into the mix, but just because some soldiers are offensive that doesn't mean the entire army is. I won't generalize. In fact, I'm kind of sorry for them. They don't receive as much funding as other country's soldiers. Not only that, most of our weapons and ground, air and naval transports are outdated. I hope the government will look into that. When WWIII comes (heaven forbid), countries such as ours will be doomed.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
Yes, here in our nation the army is deployed in regions which are inhabited by leftist groups and other hostiles. They are there not to directly execute those hostiles, but to protect the nearby cities and towns in the area. In the event that gun fights ensue in the area, civilians are evacuated from the battlefield for safety. There are instances that there are civilian casualties during the fights and they criticize the army for being careless in using their weapons that some innocent people died.