Is the US economy actually improving ? | Page 2 | World Defense

Is the US economy actually improving ?

Laplace

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
Philippines
Actually, I agree with your concern. I don't see the change as well. But it is said that Obama is doing a good job, don't know what to believe though. But I think you have to seclude the rising of prices. The reason for this is because of inflation, it is natural that money's price goes smaller every year.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
The recent jump in the strenght of the US dollar is something to worry about when talking about the economy. Of course it won't affect local companies that provide services to americans, but it's a big punch under the belt for exporting companies as they are suddenly getting less dollars from abroad even if their sales remain the same. A lot of the big multinational companies (based in the USA) like Philip Morris, Coca-Cola, Procter&Gamble etc are already seeing the effects.

I think this will mean that the FED won't raise interest rates just yet, mainly because that would lead to the dollar strenghtening even more.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I think things are improving, gas prices have gone down and food prices depending where you shop are stable. You can shop in discount places and coupons are more accepted and no longer a stigma. As for wages, that is a company issue, they decide how much to pay and how much profit they want to make. Each state has it's own laws, so it's hard to be broad about things, but a minimum wage is a pro, but a con, when people say it will stop people hiring and increase costs. I don't understand why people don't want their fellow human citizens to make a decent wage so they can eat and clothe themselves?

You look at a company that can afford to pay more than the minimum wage, but chooses not to, to make more profit. That's not something the government can do anything about, but has to come form the morals of companies.
The "why" is because the bigger the gap between the rich and the poor, the richer they feel. When the average American can't afford their rent while working full time it makes it more fun to play with their puppy in his 25,000$ dog house. When the average person can't afford food it makes that 2500$ dinner plate taste so much better.

Valenzuela

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Bangladesh
I think the US economy actually improving their own way. If any problem the recover it within a short time .

TinVanMan

Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I think that it is tough to tell if, on the whole, the economy is improving. There are a lot of factors to look at, some of which you pointed to. If also look at something like more people having jobs then that is an improvement in one aspect. Maybe the wage isn't increasing by much, but more people are earning it. Overall, I really have to say I don't know.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
From across the pond here in the UK, all we know is what the governments tell us and that's that the US economy is getting better.
I know quite a few friends over in the US though and living day to day they are telling me a very different story. While statistically it might be showing signs of improvement, I don't think this is actually how the working man on the street is seeing it.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
My take is that we are talking about a country that was built on debt. So, when they say it is getting better right after a big monetary collapse on the world level you can figure out how natural is the improving. Usually these things are straighten up by a global war. Remember the first two. We all know what happened and who lost but real reason behind world wars are debts and bad economy state. Although it may look peachy, it is probably not and it will not last for a long time so i would say we could expect another global war. Third one and probably the final. I am not an expert on this matter but somehow i drew the conclusion.

eveliner

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
For the sake of the whole humankind, I hope US will maintain the same level of development like it did till now. We all have some sort of hatred targeted towards them, but the reality is they kind of keep the world at the surface. I know China will probably surpass them in the future, but in the meantime... the US needs to be at the top. We're living in a global economy after all!

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
No, it's not. Anyone in their right mind can see what's happening here. They're slashing the military pay of everyone from E-9 all the way down to E-1 privates. You have military spouses having to get food boxes and government assistance because they've cut the pay so much. That is NOT a sign of an improving economy folks when you can't even afford to pay your soldiers!

By the way, here's a list of stores that are closing very soon because both civilians and military can't afford to shop at them anymore both on base or off. I guess the few people left who can afford to shop at those stores aren't yielding the level of profit the corporations who run them expect to make anymore?

# of stores closing / Date start and end of closure:
400 Office Depot / Office Max (by 2016)

223 Barnes & Noble (through 2023)

200 Children’s Place (through 2017)

200 Walgreens (by 2017)

175 Aeropostale (“over the next several years”)

154 Walmart

150 American Eagle Outfitters (through 2017)

150 Finish Line

120 Chico’s (through 2017)

100 Pier One (through 2017)

60 Pier One (fiscal 2016, ending February, 2016)

54 Golf Galaxy (by 2016)

36 Macy’s

35 Gap / Gap Kids (2016)

30 Hartstrings (Out of Business)

27 Kmart

20 Pick ’n Save (by 2017)

14 Kitson’s

10 Barnes & Noble (2016 calendar year)

7 JC Penney

5 Hallmark

3 Martin’s Food and Drugstore

2 Elder-Beerman (Bon-Ton)

1 American Greetings

1 Ann Taylor

1 Bon-Ton

1 Target

1 Wavedancer (Out of Business)

The gas prices are being controlled by what the military's doing in other places, but I'm not sure how they're going to fix the mess in the economy. They don't have the greatest Commander-In-Chief right now if you want my honest opinion on it, and I'm pretty surprised that the Sergeant at Arms hasn't done something about this for everyone already if you know what I mean. He's about the only one who can, and as of yet, nothing has been done about what is going on.