ISIS chief reported killed in Syria's Idlib | World Defense

ISIS chief reported killed in Syria's Idlib

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

If news is confirmed, he was hiding in Idlib near the border with Turkey. Which is not surprising and makes most sense. What doesn't make sense is that no one knew of his location the whole time. It's hard to hide yourself in a neighborhood of a populated city while also using technology like phones, laptops, etc.

Helicopters took off from Turkey and US likely got Turkish permission to undergo operation. Similarities with killing of Bin Laden:

-Happened at end of US Presidents first term
-Happened after the death of each of their organizations
-In both cases, US claims to have taken their bodies

There are videos of air strikes I'll link soon, but I don't see any videos of ground forces or light arms clashes on the ground. Some reports say there were air strikes, others say a special force raid conducted by US Special Forces coming from Turkey.

Last edited:

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Video of airstrikes on building or buildings supposedly housing ISIS Chief and others:

Aftermath of strikes:

There doesn't seem to be any clashes on the ground. If any US forces did make a landing, they would have came from Turkey and intended to take bodies to confirm identities of those killed. If there were no special forces, then it would be a coalition led air strike.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
There seems to be evidence of light arms fire and bullet wounds to deceased on the ground in the area of the building. So very well, there could have been a special force landing. And the body was taken by the US forces.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Lol, the Kurdish militias and Iraqi gov't are trying to suggest they played a big role in intelligence gathering and the op. It's more likely Syrian opposition, Turkey and the US.

So he was in Idlib all that time. I don't believe it.

It's entirely plausible he moved to city center of Idlib during operation on Raqqa. Although living in lone compound along border is not a wise choice. He wasn't living there apparently, but went to that compound to move his family into Turkey. And he was spotted in Idlib by Syrian activists on the ground according to the reporting I'm seeing.

Anyhow, this isn't as big as killing of Bin Laden. Because 9/11 attacks were more personal to Americans. The Middle East is still a mess and you can't really parade any achievements out of it anymore.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Correction: US forces came from Iraq and not Turkey according to reports. The timing is interesting.

So he was not required any more?

I believe it was known where we has for a long time now. He is not a sophisticated person. But, they(the policymakers) wanted ISIS to grow first to take control of eastern Syria under pretext of aiding Kurdish militias to counter ISIS. The US doesn't need to be in Syria anymore. But, they will be to prevent the regime from taking the eastern part back.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Bin Laden was thrown in the ocean and Baghdadi detonated himself...yeah right.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
US has decided to speed up some operations against ISIS cells and it's no coincidence. It's to reverse the damage made by Trump withdrawal announcement. It is sending a message to Turkey and Syrian gov't that Kurds will remain in control of eastern Syria and that the US forces will remain in Syria under context of continuing fight against ISIS. The US does not want Syrian gov't or rebels to take over Kurdish occupied areas of Syria. In order to prevent a Syrian rebel resurgence and/or prevent Iran from easier access to Syria through Iraq to smuggle weapons to Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Sources on the ground say it was an oil tanker. Three people killed in the strike. In territory controlled by rebels. Identities of people killed not yet known. Although SDF claims it was a US strike against an ISIS spokesman. If those claims can't be corroborated. Then the US is trying to intimidate Turkey as well as Syrian gov't. And showing that they will continue to support a defacto Kurdish state in eastern Syria and northern Iraq.

The SDF claims a role in both this and the hit on ISIS chief in Idlib. Which is not a coincidence either. They are trying to legitimize the Kurdish militia as a recognized state actor.

BATMAN

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,697 47 0
Country
Pakistan
So just before leaving Syria, US got a lucky strike.
Now i recall recent visit of US entourage to Turkey, where they negotiated break in Turkish advances and now this!

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
So just before leaving Syria, US got a lucky strike.
Now i recall recent visit of US entourage to Turkey, where they negotiated break in Turkish advances and now this!

He was not leaving, according to reports he was trying to move his family into Turkey. And if he indeed did think of leaving to an border area in Turkey, then it shows you he gave up on his whole idea. Let's be honest with ourselves, the guy was dumb and made so many ill judgements. At first, they sent some people to Syria following the revolution that erupted into armed clashes. They refused to follow international laws for war and made it clear to everyone that they were sadistic killers. They refused to leave minorities alone. They refused to end capital punishments against people under their control(mostly Syrians). He proclaimed to form a Caliphate out of nowhere and appointed himself Caliph.

The guy was despicable, dumb and lacked foresight. He proved to everyone he is no different than other failed rulers in the region. He tarnished the image of historical Caliphates and Muslim leaders who were nothing like him.

So I am glad he is dead. And I hope other bad leaders die along with him. The people in the region need to really raise their standards for good leadership and make a better effort to be better to themselves. This lazy no effort romanticizing of inept leadership going on in the region is appalling and self destructive. I hope they start using more common sense.