ISIS Trafficking Human Organs? | World Defense

ISIS Trafficking Human Organs?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
United Nations investigates claim of ISIS organ theft - CNN.com

The United Nations is looking into claims that ISIS -- already considered the wealthiest terrorist group on record -- may be harvesting organs from slain civilians and gaining financial benefits by trafficking the body parts, officials said Wednesday.

But Britain's ambassador to the U.N., Mark Lyall Grant, said the issue has not been officially discussed. Grant said there was no proof or evidence of the claim made by Iraq's ambassador to the United Nations.

The Iraqi ambassador, Mohamed Alhakim, on Tuesday urged the Security Council to investigate the deaths of 12 doctors in Mosul, Iraq. He said they were killed after refusing to remove organs from bodies.

"Some of the bodies we found are mutilated ... that means some parts are missing," he told reporters, adding that there were openings in the back of the bodies where the kidneys would be located.

"This is clearly something bigger than we think," Alhakim said.

The plunder of bodies for usable organs and tissues is widespread, according to Nancy Scheper-Hughes, director of Organs Watch, a University of California, Berkeley-based documentation and research project.

"Organ theft during wars, civil wars, dirty wars, wars involving undisciplined armies is not uncommon," Scheper-Hughes, chair of Berkeley's doctoral program in medical anthropology, said in an email.

The U.N.'s Iraqi mission on Wednesday said Alhakim was not granting interviews.

"At this point we're not in a position to corroborate what he says, but obviously any source of illegal financing of groups such as ISIS or other extremist groups is extremely worrisome," U.N. spokesman Stephane Dujarric told CNN.

Nickolay Mladenov, the U.N. special envoy handling Iraq, said the organ theft claim would be investigated.

"We have seen these reports as well," he said. "However, I do not want to hasten to confirm anything before we study them in greater detail."

Mladenov said reports that the group "is using a human trafficking as part of its sources of income" have circulated for months.

"I cannot speak to the extent of that issue until we finalize our analysis of the problem but if one looks at the broader picture, it is very clear that the brutality and the tactics that (ISIS) is using expand by the day."

The U.S. State Department said it was aware of the "deeply disturbing comments" about the alleged organ trafficking but wasn't able to confirm them.

"We also have no reason to doubt them given other similar atrocities that have been documented and other heinous crimes for which ISIL has proudly taken credit," the State Department said, using another acronym for the militant group.

Alhakim said there is a market in Europe for the stolen organs. The terror group has taken over airports where the body parts could be flown out in deals arranged between middlemen and buyers, he said.

The mutilated bodies have been found in shallow graves over the last several weeks, he said.

Speaking to the Security Council at a regular meeting on Iraq on Tuesday, Alhakim cited what he said were crimes of genocide by ISIS -- "without even mentioning the traffic of human organs and the theft and trafficking of archaeological items and oil."

"These terrorist groups have desecrated all human values," he said. "They have committed the most heinous criminal terrorist acts against the Iraqi people -- whether Shia, Sunni, Christian, Turkmen."

Last month, Turkey's semiofficial Anadolu news agency and other outlets reported that ISIS had announced the opening of a medical school in its main stronghold in northern Syria.

"Dead bodies, once they are disarticulated, pulverized, processed, freeze-dried, etc., are so far removed from the 'human' person that they are simply commodities," Scheper-Hughes said. "The demand for fresh organs and tissues ... is insatiable."

Scheper-Hughes said fresh kidneys from "the brain dead or from those executed with the assistance of trained organ harvesters are the blood diamonds of illicit and criminal trafficking."

How ISIS is run

ISIS has been defined as the wealthiest terrorist group on record, using a combination of black-market oil sales, extortion and sophisticated social media to raise money to fund its expansion into Iraq and Syria, according to the U.S. Treasury.

The terrorist group pulls in about $1 million a day, according to the Treasury.

Extortion, such as demanding money from truck drivers and threatening to blow up businesses, is another revenue stream for the group, in addition to robbing banks and gold shops.

The income helps finance a growing stream of suicide attacks and assassinations, officials said. It also aids the recruitment of Sunni tribal fighters and finances spectacular prison raids that liberate hundreds of fighters, as well as attacks on police patrols.

ISIS controls vast areas of northern and western Iraq, as well as much of northeastern Syria -- and exercises draconian authority in areas as far apart as Anbar in western Iraq and Aleppo province in northern Syria. The group also continues to pick up endorsements and pledges of allegiance from other jihadist groups, most notably in Libya and Egypt.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
This is a real possibility and those claims should be investigated. For a terror group such as ISIS to operate such an illicit trade would surely send shock waves across the entire region. We've already been bombarded by enough videos of them decapitating their victims so to learn that they are selling off body parts would really be the tipping scale of their heinous activities.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I wouldn't be surprise if it were doing that. ISIS have been engaged in some horrible things and feel like they can do whatever they like with their enemies. Also one of their goals is amassing money for their Caliphate. They already engage in illegal activities so organ selling seem right up their alley.

karmaskeeper

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I have a question about the prisoners that ISIS beheads. The latest video shows them with I think 21 prisoners on a shore kneeling. These people clearly marched one by one with their captors as the video shows. They kneel down as calm as can be knowing they are fixing to die. Why aren't they trying to resist, or put up a fight? I know if it where me I'd at least try. The only thing I can think of is they'll be tortured if they do.

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
Honestly nothing ISIS does at this point is surprising to me anymore, they have set a new standard for evil. It iss new to me though that they are the wealthiest terror group on record, I wonder what other foul deeds they are committing for the sake of money or even scarier; that there are wealthy people who could be funding them.

Rowe992

Reactions
40 0 0
Country
Belize
Well this is what happens when criminals are lead to believe they can operate as they please. ISIS is just a group of terrorists who hide under the guise of religion to carry out their evil acts. It is full time now the Arab countries in the middle east unite and form a coalition to fight these criminals on the ground.