Israel freezes funds and considers lawsuits against Palestinians | World Defense

Israel freezes funds and considers lawsuits against Palestinians

KSA

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
8 0 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Israel threatens more retaliation against Palestinian court move after tax freeze

Benjamin Netanyahu says he will "not sit idly by" if Palestinians try to drag Israeli soldiers to the International Criminal Court

Israeli officials vowed further retaliation against the Palestinian Authority (PA) on Sunday after withholding £83 million in tax revenues in retribution for its decision to join an international war crimes body.

Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel's prime minister said he would not "sit idly by" and allow Israeli soldiers to be summonsed by the International Criminal Court (ICC), which Mahmoud Abbas, the PA president, signed up to last week.

The Palestinian move in theory could allow the authority to pursue Israel for war crimes committed in occupied lands, although legal experts suggest this could prove problematic in practice.

By way of further pay-back, Israel could attempt to turn the tables by pursuing war crimes charges of its own against the Palestinians, Mr Netanyahu hinted. He cited a unity deal struck between Mr Abbas and Hamas, the Islamist militant group that runs Gaza, which is widely regarded as a terrorist organisation and has conducted numerous lethal attacks against Israeli civilians.

Pro-Israeli legal organisations, some of them based in the United States, are said to have advised that Hamas' inclusion in the Palestinian unity government makes the PA vulnerable.

"The Palestinian Authority has chosen confrontation with Israel and we will not sit idly by.," Mr Netanyahu told a cabinet meeting. "We will not allow IDF (Israeli Defence Forces) soldiers and commanders to be hauled before the International Criminal Court in the Hague. It is the Palestinian Authority leaders - who have allied with the war criminals of Hamas - who must be called to account."

The Israeli leader's comments followed a decision on Saturday not to release monthly tax revenues that Israel collects for the PA - a step that, if prolonged, could leave the authority facing a financial black hole and unable to pay workers' salaries.

Israel has temporarily withheld revenues several times in the past - most notably in November 2012 as revenge for Mr Abbas seeking and obtaining de facto statehood recognition at the United Nations.

Saeb Erekat, the chief Palestinian negotiator, denounced the latest decision as "piracy" and "collective punishment".

"Israel is using piracy against international law," he said. "This is not Israeli charity to the Palestinian people they are withholding, but our own money, which is rightfully ours."

Israeli officials said it would merely be a first step.

"If the Palestinian Authority doesn't take a step back, I think we have to take much more severe steps up until a gradual dissolution, a gradual neutralization of the Palestinian Authority. We should not aid the existence of this authority.," Yuval Steinitz, the intelligence and strategic affairs minister - and a close ally of Mr Netanyahu - told Army Radio.

Avigdor Lieberman, the Israeli foreign minister, said the Palestinians' application to the ICC sounded the death knell for the 1993 Oslo accords, which agreed in principle a two-state solution to the long-running conflict between the two sides.

Addressing a conference of Israeli ambassadors to Eurpean capitals, he said Israel's biggest security threat in the coming year would be rising anti-Israeli feeling among European nations - rather than Palestinian militancy or Iran's nuclear programme.

He referred to recent parliamentary votes in several EU states - including Britain - in favour of recognizing a Palestinian state and accused European states of abandoning Israel in a similar manner to the allied betrayal of Czechoslovakia to Nazi Germany in 1938.

Singling out Sweden and Ireland, whose legislatures have also backed recognition, he said much European parliamentary discussion of the issue amounted to "another chapter in the Protocols of the Elders of Zion", a notorious anti-Semitic pamphlet of the early 20th century.

Last edited:

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
What does Israel want exactly I failed to understand. Its currently occupying Palestine, building illegal settlement, attacking schools and medical facilities, killing children and now what freezing Palestine financial resources?

DeltaForce103

THINK TANK
Reactions
62 2 0
Country
India
So Israel doesn't want Palestine to take advantage of a court designed to prosecute governments for war crimes? That sounds suspiciously like an admission of guilt.

Gasoline

Reactions
989 6 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
Absolutely, they wants to cut off the sound of Palestinian resistance that's not enough for them they want more and more...

Shortly before, they exploited the situations while Arabic revolutions & conflicts and started an expanded war against civilians and dropped more than 2 tons of explosives on innocent's heads ...

Now they're trying to abort all peace agreements with the Palestinian side although the peace initiative always come from Palestinians !

Of course that will benefit Israel to proceed in other wars to occupy the rest of Palestine's lands .

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
What does Israel want exactly I failed to understand. Its currently occupying Palestine, building illegal settlement, attacking schools and medical facilities, killing children and now what freezing Palestine financial resources?
I agree. What more could they want? Aren't they supposed the "better man" here? After all, they're more politically established and more economically well-off. What they did to the people of Gaza was overkill. Even if they were provoked by Hamas, that did not give Israel the right to slaughter innocent people - women and children included. So trying to get along was simply "pretence." From the outset, they wanted to wipe off every Palestinian, using Hamas' provocation as an excuse to reclaim Gaza.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Palestine has a right to join the ICC. Why Israel is against that considering the fact the ICC has proved itself to be ineffective in prosecuting those who are guilty of the violation of human rights is something that's hard to explain. I wonder why they are stubbornly trying hard to get themselves hated. Already in many parts of Europe anti-semitism is on the rise and will only get worse with time.

Kamarsun1

Reactions
15 0 0
Country
USA
It's crazy how Israel just set up in place that didn't belong to them (like the US). History and geography must of been two course they didn't learn, because the facts are right in front of everyones face. I don't think there will every be peace between these two groups.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
It's crazy how Israel just set up in place that didn't belong to them (like the US). History and geography must of been two course they didn't learn, because the facts are right in front of everyones face. I don't think there will every be peace between these two groups.

A two states solution based on the 1967 boundaries agreement was agreed upon by both the Israelis and the Palestinians. The Arab Peace Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is also another proposal that still on the table however, Israel is refusing to either accept it, alter it or reject it. But they have no problem whatsoever violating international law, oslo accords, camp david accords by building illegal settlements, posing a sage on Gaza and its people, conducting military operations against innocents, demolishing homes...etc. The more despicable is that the international community failed to raise a finger to stop this madness.

Nur

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
Philippines
I don't understand Netanyahu and his cabinet's foreign policies. They react so violently every time there is so much as a peep about their actions against Palestine but they're the ones creating the scrutiny in the first place by essentially overreacting. Have they become so complacent because they've been able to spin it in their favor before, what with the western media always leaning on their side and the US always loyally supporting them ? Because times have changed and the spread of social media has made it that real-time reports of what's happening are being brought out into the open before any media spin can be created. The public view has come from being overwhelmingly on Israel's side to a more balanced one.

I also can't understand why they're doing this when they know how it feels like to be unwanted in the place you view as home, segregated into these settlements, your population slowly whittling away.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
I don't understand Netanyahu and his cabinet's foreign policies. They react so violently every time there is so much as a peep about their actions against Palestine but they're the ones creating the scrutiny in the first place by essentially overreacting. Have they become so complacent because they've been able to spin it in their favor before, what with the western media always leaning on their side and the US always loyally supporting them ? Because times have changed and the spread of social media has made it that real-time reports of what's happening are being brought out into the open before any media spin can be created. The public view has come from being overwhelmingly on Israel's side to a more balanced one.

I also can't understand why they're doing this when they know how it feels like to be unwanted in the place you view as home, segregated into these settlements, your population slowly whittling away.

I agree, it's really sad that international community is so sternly against us. My people are victims of worst scenario one could imagine. It doesn't seem like world wants to allievate our suffering. We don't know when this will end.

joshua minaya

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
So Israel doesn't want Palestine to take advantage of a court designed to prosecute governments for war crimes? That sounds suspiciously like an admission of guilt.

I agree with you on this because the truth of the matter is that it really does sound very suspicious to me.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
It's ridiculous how much Israel just sounds like a big schoolyard bully. "If you go tell all the awful stuff I do to you to the principal, I will make your life hell!"
If they had not committed war crimes, why would they be so afraid? A court is a place where they could bring solid proof and clear their names. But they don't want to do this, because they are guilty. The numbers speak for themselves. All they can do is keep beating down Palestine and hope that eventually, they'll give up, if only to survive.

Also, I'm sick of people talking about "antisemitism" on the rise just because people disagree with Israel's actions. I'm pretty sure that the fact that they are Jewish has no influence of my disapproving the excess of force and murdering of a population of people. And they act like recognizing Palestine would be hating on Jews! That's so ridiculous in so many ways.

Scorpion

Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
It's ridiculous how much Israel just sounds like a big schoolyard bully. "If you go tell all the awful stuff I do to you to the principal, I will make your life hell!"
If they had not committed war crimes, why would they be so afraid? A court is a place where they could bring solid proof and clear their names. But they don't want to do this, because they are guilty. The numbers speak for themselves. All they can do is keep beating down Palestine and hope that eventually, they'll give up, if only to survive.

Also, I'm sick of people talking about "antisemitism" on the rise just because people disagree with Israel's actions. I'm pretty sure that the fact that they are Jewish has no influence of my disapproving the excess of force and murdering of a population of people. And they act like recognizing Palestine would be hating on Jews! That's so ridiculous in so many ways.

Something worth mentioning in regard to anti-Semitism. Many people accuse Arabs of being anti-Semitic ignoring the fact that Arabs are Semitic people themselves. Who is ruling Israel are the zionists not the jews. In fact, jews and arabs are cousins by blood. Im talking about the real jews not the ones who came after WW2 and occupied the land.

starshine

Reactions
34 1 0
Country
Canada
Something worth mentioning in regard to anti-Semitism. Many people accuse Arabs of being anti-Semitic ignoring the fact that Arabs are Semitic people themselves. Who is ruling Israel are the zionists not the jews. In fact, jews and arabs are cousins by blood. Im talking about the real jews not the ones who came after WW2 and occupied the land.

Yes, I've actually heard of that. It makes sense, is that why they have so similar rituals? (Circumcisions, no pork, halal vs kosher...) In many cases, I hear people complaining about how 'Arabs make a big deal about pork they are so annoying' but not about Jews. Probably the unfortunate history of the Holocaust makes it this much a sensitive subject to be called 'antisemitic', to the point that people throw that word around at any given point, but they don't realize the double-standard.