Israel to Resume Assassinations of Iranian Nuclear Scientists? | World Defense

Israel to Resume Assassinations of Iranian Nuclear Scientists?

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Israel 'Not Responsible' for Iranian Scientists - Defense/Security - News - Arutz Sheva

Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'alon has hinted Israel could resume assassinating Iranian nuclear scientists if Iran's march to a nuclear weapon continues.

"Ultimately it is very clear, one way or another, Iran’s military nuclear program must be stopped," Ya’alon stated in an interview with Germany's Der Spiegel daily.

Israel, along with many of its Arab neighbors, is concerned the deal recently reached between Iran and world powers amounts to a capitulation towards Tehran, and all but guarantees the Islamic Republic will gain nuclear weapons.

Ya'alon declared that Israel would not be willing to accept such a scenario, under any circumstances.

"We will act in any way and are not willing to tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran. We prefer that this be done by means of sanctions, but in the end, Israel should be able to defend itself," he told the German daily.

Comparing the Iran deal to attempts by western Allies to appease Nazi Germany prior to World War Two, Ya'alon said historians would view the agreement as a "historic mistake" and a mere attempt to "kick the can down the road."

And in what appeared to be a subtle threat, Ya'alon added that Israel "bore no responsibility for the lives of Iranian nuclear scientists," in what appeared to be a subtle threat.

Israel is believed to be behind a series of assassinations of at least 5 top Iranian scientists involved in Iran's covert nuclear weapons program, though it has never commented on the allegations. Most of the scientists were reportedly killed by unknown assassins placing "sticky bombs" on their cars, sometimes in audacious daylight operations.

But those assassinations - along with other covert operations including cyber attacks against Iran - have petered out in recent years, with the last known attack occurring in 2013. The halt in assassinations is believed to be a result both of direct American pressure on Israel to stop them, as well as other western states' pivot towards detente with Tehran and away cooperating with Israel on such operations.

Ya'alon also hinted Israel could also consider airstrikes against Iranian nuclear weapons facilities as a last resort.

Analysts have long debated the viability of a unilateral Israeli strike, with many assuming such a strike to be impossible without US cooperation.

The interview follows reports that Iran is already busily "sanitizing" its Parchin military complex to hide evidence of nuclear weapons development from nuclear inspections.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't know what to say because I am standing between the devil and the deep blue sea. The nuclear program of Iran had to be stopped, that's my own opinion, because we don't know where they're going to with that. But the assassination of nuclear scientists by Israel bespeaks of violence that Israelis seem to be getting used to. I really don't know.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
All is fair in war . . . @Corzhens. While I'm very much against cold-blooded murder there are times when ethics must be thrown out of the window. If Israel thinks killing nuclear scientists will slow Iran down then they'll do it. Killing a few to save millions at times can be justifiable.

But does it make the planned action any less evil? No.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
All is fair in war . . . @Corzhens. While I'm very much against cold-blooded murder there are times when ethics must be thrown out of the window. If Israel thinks killing nuclear scientists will slow Iran down then they'll do it. Killing a few to save millions at times can be justifiable.

But does it make the planned action any less evil? No.

I agree with what you said about fairness. I'm just averse to violence so my statements are anti-violence. But that does not mean that I do not consent to killing if the killing will stop the killing. That is why there is the death penalty, a means to stop further violence that could be committed by the convicted criminal. And I'd say good luck to the killing of the killers.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
And I'd say good luck to the killing of the killers.
It should only be used as a last resort. Since it has been done before I doubt that it will be that effective a second time. Unless all nuclear scientists are killed simultaneously, it would be harder if not impossible to kill those haven't yet been killed because the Iranian government would protect them. When someone is whisked to some secure location, it would be pretty hard to find them.

So would the military option be the better option?

Experts say that attacking Iran to destroy their nuclear facilities could have affect hundreds of thousands of Iranians who'd be exposed to toxic smoke and maybe, radioactive fallout.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
This is a tough decision and also the country can cause more problems as innocent victims could die in the process as well, which can take a toll, and also the people may riot if this occurs which will be interesting to see how this works out. I reckon that the leaders of the both countries need to meet up and try and resolve this issue, with peace and not violence which may take time but it could be possible. It will be interesting to see what happens and also most of the time what happens is weapons are used and also, this can cause violence on both sides and there will be losses which will be hard to recover from.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
It should only be used as a last resort. Since it has been done before I doubt that it will be that effective a second time. Unless all nuclear scientists are killed simultaneously, it would be harder if not impossible to kill those haven't yet been killed because the Iranian government would protect them. When someone is whisked to some secure location, it would be pretty hard to find them.

So would the military option be the better option?

Experts say that attacking Iran to destroy their nuclear facilities could have affect hundreds of thousands of Iranians who'd be exposed to toxic smoke and maybe, radioactive fallout.

That exposure to nuclear fallout or toxic particulates is the fear of military in cracking the nuclear facilities. What happens when the bombs explode? That's why they are careful although I'm sure there is a way to disarm those bombs so they would not detonate. And I think those threats of the star wars style that nuclear bombs have targets like crowded cities is just a myth.

Determined2014

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I don't know what to say because I am standing between the devil and the deep blue sea. The nuclear program of Iran had to be stopped, that's my own opinion, because we don't know where they're going to with that. But the assassination of nuclear scientists by Israel bespeaks of violence that Israelis seem to be getting used to. I really don't know.
I second you on that one, that nuclear programm for Iran just has to be stopped forever, it just seems dangerouse also seems like they have some hidden agendas that the rest of the world might not be aware of.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
That exposure to nuclear fallout or toxic particulates is the fear of military in cracking the nuclear facilities. What happens when the bombs explode? That's why they are careful although I'm sure there is a way to disarm those bombs so they would not detonate.
I don't think they have a bomb as yet. There were rumors that they'd buy some from North Korea but if they did buy them then they'll be hidden a safe distance away from their nuclear sites. It's the enriched Uranium in those nuclear facilities that will cause problems for Iranians should they be attacked.

I reckon that the leaders of the both countries need to meet up and try and resolve this issue, with peace and not violence which may take time but it could be possible.
It would be possible if the Iranian leaders weren't so proud and unreasonable. They want nuclear weapons because they think nuclear weapons [as a deterrent] would assure them security.

There is also the need for the Iranian regime to hang onto power using whatever means they can. By grandstanding, declaring they'll do anything for the Iranians they'll use the international community's opposition to their nuclear program to get support from the people. Who wants foreigners to control them? The moment they [the Iranian government] abandon the nuclear program the people will take it that they are bowing to "the enemies" and they [the Iranian government] would lose the people's support. So you see, the negotiations would not achieve much.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
I don't think they have a bomb as yet. There were rumors that they'd buy some from North Korea but if they did buy them then they'll be hidden a safe distance away from their nuclear sites. It's the enriched Uranium in those nuclear facilities that will cause problems for Iranians should they be attacked.

Buy bombs from North Korea? I don't believe the Nokors have the capability of producing nuclear bombs and what we read are only press releases and hype coming from North Korea. They have the penchant to praise themselves highly but nothing to boot in reality. And if you mean to say that a nuclear facility is also a time bomb then a country with nuclear bombs also stands the risk of accidental explosion.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Buy bombs from North Korea? I don't believe the Nokors have the capability of producing nuclear bombs and what we read are only press releases and hype coming from North Korea. They have the penchant to praise themselves highly but nothing to boot in reality.
You ought to take a look at this article:

Does Iran Have Secret Nukes in North Korea? - The Daily Beast

In October 2012, Iran began stationing personnel at a military base in North Korea, in a mountainous area close to the Chinese border. The Iranians, from the Ministry of Defense and associated firms, reportedly are working on both missiles and nuclear weapons. Ahmed Vahidi, Tehran’s minister of defense at the time, denied sending people to the North, but the unconfirmed dispatches make sense in light of the two states announcing a technical cooperation pact the preceding month.

So while the international community inspects Iranian facilities pursuant to a framework deal, the Iranians could be busy assembling the components for a bomb elsewhere [in North Korea]

And if you mean to say that a nuclear facility is also a time bomb then a country with nuclear bombs also stands the risk of accidental explosion.

Accidental A-Bomb Blast - Risk Termed Small - NYTimes.com
Although no accidental nuclear explosion has ever occurred, nuclear weapons pose accident hazards. But weapons designers say the risks are small.

A nuclear explosion ordinarily begins with the detonation of a hollow sphere of conventional explosive; inside the hollow is a sphere of plutonium. The shock wave created by the conventional explosion squeezes the plutonium enough to initiate a chain fission reaction. Because this compression occurs very suddenly, the nuclear chain reaction takes the form of an explosion.

But for this to work, the explosive surrounding the plutonium must be a perfect sphere, and the entire sphere must be detonated simultaneously. If the detonation merely starts at a single point on the sphere, the nuclear explosion will fizzle. To achieve uniformity of detonation, scores or hundreds of electric detonators must be embedded all over the outer surface of the sphere, and all must be fired at the same instant.

If the sphere of explosive were set off by an accident, it would not explode uniformly and would not compress the plutonium enough to cause a nuclear detonation. But it might set off a fast chain reaction short of a full-scale explosion - a reaction that would generate deadly radiation and spread radioactive debris.

Such accidents have occurred several times . . . In neither case was there a nuclear explosion, but cleaning up the plutonium released into the environment was extremely expensive.