Israeli rabbi: Paris attacks are payback for the Holocaust | World Defense

Israeli rabbi: Paris attacks are payback for the Holocaust

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Far-right settler rabbi: Paris attacks are payback for the Holocaust - Israel News - Jerusalem Post

Far-right settler rabbi: Paris attacks are payback for the Holocaust

The quote from Dov Lior, the chief rabbi of the Israeli settlement of Kiryat Arba, was first reported by the Walla! news agency.
ShowImage.ashx

Rabbi Dov Lior. (photo credit:Courtesy)

A religious Zionist cleric from a Jewish settlement on the West Bank told mourners on Saturday during the funeral of an Israeli father and son gunned down by Palestinian terrorists that the attacks in Pariswere deserved due to what Europeans "did to our people 70 years ago."

The quote from Dov Lior, the chief rabbi of the Israeli settlement of Kiryat Arba, was first reported by the Walla! news agency.

"The wicked ones in blood-soaked Europe deserve it for what they did to our people 70 years ago," Lior said.

The controversial rabbi once wrote an approbation for a book called The King’s Torah that was co-written in 2009 by radical settler figure Rabbi Yitzhak Shapira, which permitted killing civilian non-Jews in times of war.

He was summoned by police for questioning on grounds of incitement to violence but refused to report for questioning, saying the Torah was not open to police investigation. He was subsequently arrested and brought for questioning but no charges were made.

Last year, Lior published a letter saying that Jewish law permits destroying the entire Gaza Strip to bring peace to the south of the country.

Lior said that he had received questions about whether Jewish law permits harming a civilian population not directly involved with the combatants.

He first cited the opinion of the Maharal of Prague, a renowned 16th-century rabbi, who wrote that a nation under attack can wage a fierce war against the assaulting nation, and that it is not obligated regarding the safety of people who are personally involved in hostilities.

“At a time of war, the nation under attack is allowed to punish the enemy population with measures it finds suitable, such as blocking supplies or electricity, as well as shelling the entire area according to the army minister’s judgment, and not to needlessly endanger soldiers but rather to take crushing deterring steps to exterminate the enemy,” Lior wrote.

Addressing the hostilities with Hamas, the rabbi continued to say that “in the case of Gaza, it would be permitted for the defense minister to even order the destruction of all of Gaza so that the South will no longer suffer and to prevent injury to our people, who have been suffering for so long from the enemies surrounding us.”

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Our former boss in the office once said that the Israelis are the best accountants because they do not forget a thing. History is always on their minds and they have the tendency to get even for any crimes did to them. Now, I'd that my former boss is correct. That rabbi has a photographic memory and the in his age and in his position, it is unthinkable that he still has the hangup of the holocaust.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia
It would be on news headlines if was said by a muslim.

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Our former boss in the office once said that the Israelis are the best accountants because they do not forget a thing. History is always on their minds and they have the tendency to get even for any crimes did to them. Now, I'd that my former boss is correct. That rabbi has a photographic memory and the in his age and in his position, it is unthinkable that he still has the hangup of the holocaust.

Nice job excusing them, its clear where your bias stands.

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Far-right settler rabbi: Paris attacks are payback for the Holocaust
This is hardly the right for anyone, least of all Israelis to be making insensitive remarks. Maybe the Jews aren't happy that France said it would recognize Palestine as a State?

In any case weren't the French defeated by the Germans? What could they have done to stop the Holocaust?

charris89

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
7 0 0
Country
USA
That statement was definitely on the extreme side. This doesn't mean all Israelis have the same thought process. Yes they were wronged, but the innocent people in Paris didn't have anything to do with what happened 70 years ago. Even if many wars are fought using innocents to punish their enemies doesn't make it right. This Rabbi has a lot of hate in is heart. Who knows what was done in the past, however he should try to sympathize with France. A message is not what France, or the rest of the world needs right now. I will always support, however it's people like this Rabbi that give nations and religions a bad reputation.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
They need to stop living in the past and hating everyone and everything that breathes which isn't Jewish. The French and the people alive today have nothing to do with any of the holocausts that happened decades ago, let alone hundreds of years ago in other cases. They need to stop beating a dead horse and just move on already.

dStMars

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
I understand that the Holocaust was a horrible time for Jewish people but there is no way that this is right. i don't think any afro American celebrity of color who saw a massacre happen and came out and said that it was good because most of the people killed were caucasian, could get a way with it. sdov Lior wouldn't care because is a blatant racist who has called President Obama, the jewish racial slur for n**ger, which is "kushi,". It is sad that men like these are called leaders and even worse that our government is rumored with zionist agenda politics. I don't think that anyone should be allowed to express this type of hate by way of the mass media. I wouldn't be surprised if later on we find that Dev Lior is an Issys supporter.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
This is one of those issues that don't even make proper sense. Many Jews hiding in France and acculturated with various French communities were murdered during the Holocaust. The Holocaust was the brainchild of Hitler and his Nazi government. If Israelis were bitter over the fact that the French government back then wasn't able to stop Hitler, then they should know that the French armed forces paled in comparison with the German Nazis.

Goblinforhire

Reactions
10 0 0
Country
Kenya
Does the Torah not have a passage on forgiveness? It's ridiculous and sad that a rabbi can make these kinds of statements. Innocent people were murdered in concerts and cafes and he's still stuck in the past, an eye for an eye will turn the whole world blind. Anyone who rejoices in terrorist attacks must have something really wrong going on inside them.

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
Payback for the Holocaust? What did the French have to do with the Holocaust? Or does the Rabbi know something we don't?

In any case, I run into a ton of young Israelis, they don't really care about any of this. They just want to forget about the lifetime of hellish memories that they come with from Israel. They just want to get high and stay high. And we make sure we help them achieve that goal.

The Rabbi should think about consoling some of these conscripts who are scarred for life, instead of spewing hatred.

ipm_zipedia

Reactions
24 0 0
Country
USA
That statement was definitely on the extreme side. This doesn't mean all Israelis have the same thought process. Yes they were wronged, but the innocent people in Paris didn't have anything to do with what happened 70 years ago. Even if many wars are fought using innocents to punish their enemies doesn't make it right. This Rabbi has a lot of hate in is heart. Who knows what was done in the past, however he should try to sympathize with France. A message is not what France, or the rest of the world needs right now. I will always support, however it's people like this Rabbi that give nations and religions a bad reputation.
Agreed. I feel like that this was a statement made out of poor taste from angry bigotry. I know a lot of people have extreme viewpoints that they don't often express, although this Rabbi just so happened to want to do it. This is what makes Israel and organized religion in general look like a joke.

SapnaTheBaller3

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
That's quite extreme to measure as stated about. Quite frankly I had to admit that it would have been on headlines if it were to be said by a Muslim but that's just what this world has come to now honestly. It's awful that we just accept it as it is. Any who, their wrong doing has very little to do with what happened during the holocaust. Very ridiculous to state in my opinion.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
I can understand the rabbi's anger and hurt, because of what happened to the Jews in the last world war. What I don't understand, however, is that he seems to be condemning the France as one of the prosecutors of the Jews during the war.
France was under siege from Hitler's Germany just as his people were, and I suspect that the French resistance would have aided may Jews during the period