Israeli women’s combat roles exaggerated, military traditionalists say | World Defense

Israeli women’s combat roles exaggerated, military traditionalists say

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Womens combat roles in Israel Defense Forces exaggerated, military traditionalists say - Washington Times

Military traditionalists say women’s combat roles in the Israel Defense Forces are exaggerated by advocates in the U.S., noting as an example a recent IDF decision to keep Israeli women from serving on main battle tanks.

As the U.S. military prepares to open most, if not all, infantry, armor and special operations units to women, activists often point to the IDF as an illustration of a military in which women are thriving in ground combat units.

But a closer look shows Israeli women are not in direct combat special operations such as the Green Berets. Nor are they in front-line combat brigades mobilized to engage in direct heavy combat.

In the infantry, virtually all of Israel’s female combat soldiers are confined to two light battalions — the Caracal and the Lions of Jordan — which are assigned to guard the borders with Egypt and Jordan, the only Arab countries that have peace treaties with Israel.

“Uniformed Israeli women patrol the borders or help to train men for combat positions, but these important missions do not involve direct ground combat, meaning deliberate offensive action against the enemy,” said Elaine Donnelly, who heads the Center for Military Readiness. “None of America’s allies, much less potential adversaries, are treating women like men in the combat arms.”

Israeli women’s assignments are far more restrictive than the roles envisioned by advocates in the United States who anticipate an American military that opens all ground combat units to women, be they Navy SEALs or Army Green Berets or the Marine infantry or Army Brigade Combat Teams. All are deployed to engage in tough, close-in fighting for hours and days at a time.

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter will make decisions by Jan. 1 and already has said most, if not all, units will be opened.

U.S. advocates also want women assigned to armor units, operating M1A1 main battle tanks.

Here, too, Israel has taken a different route. The Israeli Ynet news service last week reported that the IDF studied the suggestion of women in tanks and rejected the idea based on physical shortcomings compared with men. Ynet also said the study found as problematic putting men and women in the intimate close quarters of a tank for days at a time.

Ynet quoted a defense official as saying, “Integrating female soldiers into tanks was harmful.”

“The decision not to assign Israeli women to armored tanks in the IDF is based on reality, not myths that often surround these discussions,” Mrs. Donnelly said.

The Times of Israel said the IDF provided a statement that read, in part, that the “possibility of opening additional combat positions to girls is being tested all the time.” As of today, “infantry and the armored corps were ruled out for women.”

The Times of Israel reported that the army announced a plan in October to train women as tank commanders, with men serving as drivers, loaders and gunners.

With that plan canceled, the IDF now wants to increase the number of women in units already opened to them — fighter pilots, field intelligence, artillery and the two co-ed border patrol battalions.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
In Isreal women do their mandatory service just like men. That is the difference there, they are actually (as far as I know) the only country who has gender equality in this matter. In quite a few countries women do not have mandatory service but men do.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that women are being put into roles that involve a lower chance of seeing combat.
It also doesn't surprise me one bit that the reporters completely missed this point and concentrate 100% on the "yeah but Israel has women in the army too!"
Also not surprised by how they usually forget to mention the fact that in Israel it's mandatory for them.

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Not to sound like a feminist, but have women not proven they are just as capable as men? Not only that but if you send women into combat against an army that doesn't let women serve, those men aren't going to want to shoot and kill a woman. It would be a decent advantage.

Gabriel92

Professional
Reactions
676 14 0
Country
France
Not to sound like a feminist, but have women not proven they are just as capable as men? Not only that but if you send women into combat against an army that doesn't let women serve, those men aren't going to want to shoot and kill a woman. It would be a decent advantage.

Lol,there are no laws at war,any ennemy would be shot,woman or man.

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

laughing-lol-crazy-l.png

What do you know about wars? Just leave it bro and talk to me about video games.....

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Not to sound like a feminist, but have women not proven they are just as capable as men?

In warfare? No, they haven't.
Why do you think 99% of the soldiers in the world are men? It is not by accident, it's not because some day someone said "ohh I choose that soldiers are to be men", it's evolution. For thousands of years it's been this way, men are just better suited for this line of work.

Sure nowadays the difference is getting smaller since war is more about technology and outsmarting the enemy rather than being physically stronger than they are. But still... while there are women who are up to the job, in general I think men still have the upper hand.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I am a feminist and I think that in many areas, men and women are equally capable. In others, however, they are not and this does include the matters of physical strength and endurance.

This doesn't mean that women shouldn't serve though, far from it. However, there is no way in the world that the enemy would not get shot at simply because she is female!

LilAnn

Reactions
87 1 0
Country
USA
Aaahhh, got it. Men are physically stronger than women, so they have an easier time pulling a trigger. And let's not forget how handy that arm strength is when pushing a button. I'm glad I don't like guns. Being a woman it would be so embarrassing not being able to hold the gun up and aim becaus I'm so weak. Was it the Spartans whose women fought right beside the men and didnt even complain about a broken nail? If only women could be that capable today.

How often does hand to hand combat happen anymore? I'll give you that: men are better at hand to hand combat than some women. And I stress the "some". It takes more than strength to win a fight.