Italy increases military presence in the Mediterranean | World Defense

Italy increases military presence in the Mediterranean

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
ISIS claimed responsibility for the shooting in Tunisia. Proof that their operations on the North African coast have only just began. Some time this week Libya asked for weapons so they could fight ISIS. I think if Italy wants to keep jihadis out of their homeland [and Europe] they should do more than just increase their presence in the Mediterranean. Arm the Libyan army, help other North African nations drive extremists out — that would help.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
This seems like a logical move by the Italian government. I'd imagine that most countries are on a high state of alert and will be for some time.
If a country has the resources to strengthen their defences then I would say they would be wise to do so.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think if Italy wants to keep jihadis out of their homeland [and Europe] they should do more than just increase their presence in the Mediterranean. Arm the Libyan army, help other North African nations drive extremists out — that would help.

Couldn't agree more. The countries of the world need to stand together in the fight against terror. We are far stronger working together than we would be individually and certainly much bigger then ISIS.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
Maybe the motivations of my (relative to international military-operations) 'patheticly desparate drama-queen soap-opera ("I implied that he-or-she might infer something-or-other saying something-or-other about so-&-so, possibly because one-or-the-other is such-&-such a person, implying that he-or-she thinks thus-&-thus about similar topics ..." Oh how the judgmental human psyche seeks out such drama when it's not present at-least-in-fictional-form! that's a tangent ...)' aren't applicable to 'international military-operations,'

But how much 'preparing for something bad to happen' actually brings 'something bad (or worse)' to come-to-pass?

TommyVercetti

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
USA
It's more or less because they want to conduct exercises rather than that they are going out of their way to protect the mediterranean. They're flexing their military muscles, if you will. This is a good thing overall, but I do wish they would more joint exercises with their neighboring countries instead of going at it alone.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
Italy can no longer rest on its laurel. History witnessed the role it played in WWII. The country has never been one to watch idly by while there's a war brewing. Having learned from its past errors, the Italy of today could not stand idle in the face of a growing terror.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
The issue with Italy is that a lot of their territories are really close to Africa and that they need to watch-out on a huge coastline, so if they want their citizens to be safe they do need to invest on defense mechanisms.