Italy's Defense Budget Less Than Forecast

Scorpion

THINK TANK: SENIOR
Reactions
3,197 56 0
Country
Saudi Arabia

Italy's defense ministry will have a budget of 13.58 billion euros in 2015, almost one billion euros less than it predicted it would have in a three-year provisional budget issued in 2013.

The new spending figure for 2015 was contained in a defense ministry budget document submitted to Italy's parliament and obtained by Defense News.

The massive drop from spending forecasts issued in 2013 reflect the cuts made by the government of Prime Minister Matteo Renzi, who took office in 2014 and is seeking resources to offer tax cuts and cut Italy's debt pile.

The drop also calls into question the value of publishing three-year budgets, which were designed to give military planners a longer-term view of available funding.

The new document breaks down spending for 2015, with 2.67 billion euros allocated for procurement, 1.17 billion euros for Maintenance and Operations, and 9.74 billion euros for personnel.

A fuller breakdown on program spending is not expected to be released until 2015. Italy changed its way of publishing budgets in 2013, and since then has issued a total spending figure in December for the subsequent year, followed up in the spring by a fuller document that lists what money is being spent on each program.

The Spring document also gives the contribution from Italy's industry ministry for procurement. Additionally, the document is a three year plan, as it gives funding predictions for the two subsequent years.

The first three year plan, issued in 2013 and covering 2013-2015, predicted that defense ministry spending in 2015 would amount to 14.5 billion euros, almost a billion euros more than the sum now being spent.

The 2013 forecast also predicted 3.08 billion euros would be spent on procurement in 2015, compared to the 2.67 billion made available. The forecast predicted 1.3 billion euros would be spent on Maintenance and Operations, while the real figure is 1.17 billion euros.

mikeqin

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
Italy's defence budget is dependent on the country's changing strategic aspirations. Rather than a quantitative modification,

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I don't think that the strategic aspirations play a role here mike, the issue is that most countries in Europe are in peace and in crisis, so we simply can't afford big budgets for defense, we need to cut there to have for health and education for example.

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think that the strategic aspirations play a role here mike, the issue is that most countries in Europe are in peace and in crisis, so we simply can't afford big budgets for defense, we need to cut there to have for health and education for example.
I am inclined to agree with you - the whole of Europe appears to be in an economic downturn right now and other things, such as schools and hospitals, have to take priority.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
Pretty much and I think that should be the case worldwide, why to invest huge sums on war equipment if most countries are in peace? It's time to build a better society.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think their decision to decrease the defence budget is a good decision. Money reinvested in the economy at a time of peace will create more money. More money would then be available should there be conflict.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I agree. Sure that we need to make the world a safer place and to defend it is the way to go, but why invest on defense in times of peace? That doesn't make much sense.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It doesn't matter if Italy cuts down its military budget. They should invest more in developing the minds of their soldiers, so that they can think and act quickly during battle rather than wait for orders to be given to them. Weapons may cause destruction but a military that knows when and how to wield such weapons effectively will never bow down to any enemy.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I think it is a good thing investing money in the country and education and food for people, as it helps develop the country and more jobs are there and it goes well for the people of the country. Money for defense use can be saved but putting too much will, not have a lot left for what is needed and food and education is more important and economy as that brings more in and can be used when war is going on. Soldiers need to be trained to think for themselves too, so when a choice is presented than do what is right and go for the morally good one which is the right one.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
The problem with Italy is that they always had very few defense companies to begin with. So any money they spend on defense is just sending their taxpayers money overseas. At least when the USA spends money on defense contracts, it means US jobs are created and it helps the economy.

I wonder what NATO or the EU has to say. One of the more important purposes of these multi-nation organizations is to ensure that everyone shares the burden of defense together. Why should Germany and the rest of NATO countries spend money on defense and promise to protect Italy, if Italy is just going to cut their own defense budget. NATO has guidelines drawn up that anticipates defense spending by countries, if some countries fall below their share, then other members will also.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
It doesn't matter if Italy cuts down its military budget. They should invest more in developing the minds of their soldiers, so that they can think and act quickly during battle rather than wait for orders to be given to them. Weapons may cause destruction but a military that knows when and how to wield such weapons effectively will never bow down to any enemy.

I really don't agree with this. I think that the training is adequate and that the minds or the soldiers is good too, it's just a matter of priorities and there is not money to everything.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I really don't agree with this. I think that the training is adequate and that the minds or the soldiers is good too, it's just a matter of priorities and there is not money to everything.
How much do you need to actually have a strong military? I'm sure there are other social issues that need more attention than military expenditure, right? Why not spend money to uplift basic social services and raise the country's human development index instead?

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I guess that it depends on the country xTinx. Some countries are at war and need strong military budgets, but others are in peace and just need a good education and health. Military investment sometimes is simply not necessary.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
Makes sense to me. Italy faces minimal external or internal threats that can be dealt with using a traditional military force. If they're at a time of peace they definitely have to invest more money in other sectors, especially considering their economic situation.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I think that the main concerns that the Italians have in what relates to safety is the people that are trying to enter the country illegally from Africa, but I think they are well prepared to face that.