it's all in the name... | World Defense

it's all in the name...

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
As military technology gets more and more advanced, so do the names...bare with me, this could be fun.
Being here in the UK, I'm going to put up British aerospace, or BAE systems as it is now as an example.
Get this for a roll call of names used in their production of missiles for example...
ALARM, Rapier, Sea dart, Sea eagle, Sea skua, Sea wolf and Sky flash.
Military aircraft...let me give you the harrier, hawk, nimrod, Vulcan, trident, bulldog, typhoon, jaguar and not forgetting of course, the tornado.

That's a pretty strong list of hardware developed by one company, and pretty fierce sounding as well...what other companies, throughout the world can better or match this list do you reckon?

wahmed

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think that names are designed to be just as if not more scarier than the actual equipment. OK maybe they cannot be scarier than the equipment. The names however do induce huge amounts of fear. I mean I know if I was going to have something called the bulldog flying over me I'd be far from calm

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It's the performance that matters more although the name is all part of the hype. There's something psychological about it. Manufacturers of military weapons and transport vehicles use this marketing strategy to earn more revenue and cover the costs of building.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Of course its all hype. Plus also giving it a name makes it easier than calling it what its probably officially called, something like project XBH-127/98-67A!
These companies, and that's what they are, need to sell their product, just like any company does, and I think any country is going to sit up and take more notice if they're going to spend millions, on something thats named Apache or patriot etc...

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder what North Korea call their weapons? They probably have names that translate as "Great exploding truncheon for benefit of peoples". I agree that the names are far more indicative of annihilation than just serial numbers and it is all a marketing ploy. Then again, how much competiton is there in the world of arms manufacturing?

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
I think probably the most respected companies come from here in the UK, USA and possibly France.
I think when it comes to this sort of thng, reputation is half the battle, the other half is funding. These projects don't come cheap and need a serious amount of backing, and I'm talking billions here.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I personally think they are running out of decent names. Now they're just scraping the bottom of the name barrel. Nimrod isn't scary. I guess one of their main priorities is having a name people can remember. In that aspect they definitely succeed.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well the term nimrod means 'a mighty hunter' so its is pretty scary if you put it like that!

And I know its not a BAE name but still British, GEC- Marconi i think it is who makes these, I'm liking the name of their air to surface missile...

BRIMSTONE

missbishi

Reactions
118 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Well the term nimrod means 'a mighty hunter' so its is pretty scary if you put it like that!

And I know its not a BAE name but still British, GEC- Marconi i think it is who makes these, I'm liking the name of their air to surface missile...

BRIMSTONE

I like that! Fire and Brimstone, the ultimate expression of God's wrath. Seems very appropriate. There's a nuclear missile called the "Minuteman", which sounds pretty drastic, like it will wipe us all out in that time.

pwarbi

Reactions
70 1 0
Country
United Kingdom
Theres certainly a few goods ones about, the US also have the tomohawk missile, think that was made well known by by the Iraq war, which I think is probably the first time a lot of people got to actually see live footage of a conflict as it happened so to speak...