It's time to close Guantanamo | World Defense

It's time to close Guantanamo

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Obama says that it's about time to close Guantanamo and I can't agree with him more. A place where people have no rights really makes no sense to me. Where do you stand here?

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
Guantanamo should have been closed long ago. The US always brags about human rights but it turned to be for public consumption only. The violations of human rights in Guantanamo have way crossed the limit. The ones involved in the mistreatment of prisoners must be held accountable. What boils my blood is that G.W.B is still enjoying his life freely without being brought to justice. Wait a minute what justice I'm talking about.%-}

Lets also not talk about the Abu Ghraib prison tortures and prisoner abuse and also the violation committed by personnel of the United States Army and the CIA. A series of human rights violations against detainees. Yet no one give a shit. Why? weren't those humans? Or the blood of the Americans are more precious than those people!!!

Every one knows that ISIS composed of ex Iraq army and many others, when Americans fell in ISIS hands and later executed Mr.Obama had the audacity to come up and lecture us about humanity and how evil that was but never talked about the violation committed against prisoners whether in Abu Ghraib or Guantanamo.

One a side note, the current leader of ISIS was prisoner in the US before he sat him free back in 2009.

Also, wasn't Saddam executed because of unbacked accusation? The WMD that were never found, the 500k innocent Iraqis killed as a result of US invasion of Iraq, or the innocents men, women and children of Afghanistan who were intentionally killed and others were drone bombed!! Or the American soldiers urinating on dead Afghan bodies or the drone attacks on civilians in Pakistan and Yemen.

Those who did all of these things must be prosecuted and the ''supposed'' law should be executed upon them. These are very serious war crimes that should not go unpunished.

Whether you guys agree with me or not but truth to be told.

tournique

Reactions
20 0 0
Country
Romania
It should have been closed long time ago but it hasn't. So were the CIA prisons in other countries. The stuff that the govt does to "keep the country safe" is getting out of hand and sadly, there is no other superpower to put them in place and apply restrictions to them.

Twinsmommy31

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Just close it already. It is well overdue. I am tired of talking about it. Lets just get it done!

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's been a slow process and it's getting there, but they have to find places for the inmates to go to and then who knows what will happen to it? Tear it down or what? The current administration inherited it and have always said they wanted to shut it down, but there are obviously reasons of security why they couldn't do it immediately. Yes, it violates Human Rights, but gradually it will become a thing of the past and I am sure the Iraq inquiry in the UK will bring things to a head.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
I rather keep it open. Keeping it open provides a tool in interrogations, "Tell us what we want or we'll send you to Gitmo." If your government is going to fight a war against terrorism its going to need places where they can send these people. I don't think anyone wants them in the States, but if you close Gitmo thats where they will be going.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
And do we really want that kitty? What about human rights? I think that it should exist a difference between the people and states who are right, from those doing evil and Guantanamo is definitely evil.

Gabriel

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I rather keep it open. Keeping it open provides a tool in interrogations, "Tell us what we want or we'll send you to Gitmo." If your government is going to fight a war against terrorism its going to need places where they can send these people. I don't think anyone wants them in the States, but if you close Gitmo thats where they will be going.

I don't think they need Gitmo, there are plenty of places they can hold people for interrogation these days without people finding out. At the time it was a mass project. The real people they want are the ringleaders who aren't going to get caught as they are safe in compounds somewhere. The US has to be seen as a major Super power respecting humanity and justice which Gitmo is neither. They should lead by example, so I expect it will be torn down as soon as it can.

stryker

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
It looks like I'm the only one here who might be in line to at least somewhat agree with you. I can't say I like Gitmo, of course; but I can say that there are some situations in which "human rights" can rightly go out the window.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
It looks like I'm the only one here who might be in line to at least somewhat agree with you. I can't say I like Gitmo, of course; but I can say that there are some situations in which "human rights" can rightly go out the window.
Thats exactly how I feel. They are sending women and children into crowded areas with bombs strapped to them with no purpose other than to kill innocent people and spread terror. These people have thrown their humanity away before they were caught, theres no reason why we should now extend them the rights we would give to our own citizens.

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
I'm kind of torn between wanting to keep Guantanamo open or having it closed. If you keep it open just for intimidation purposes without letting the public know that torture practices have already been dropped, notorious terrorists will have every reason to disclose top secret information. The fear of torture will grip them after all. Closing Guantanamo on one hand will make America less of a hypocrite.

Gelsemium

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Portugal
Why are you torn xTinx? Why do a state needs intimidation? I think that we have the law on our side and we should not rely on shaddy strategies, we should play the game as clean as possible.

DancingLady

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
USA
I agree. I do not approve of the way it has been run and the way prisoners there are treated. I feel that all American prisons need to be run according to the same rules, that everyone should be able to get their day I court in a reasonable amount of time and all persons should be treated with respect.

In Guantanamo we have failed miserably at this so it's time to shut it down.

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
Obama says that it's about time to close Guantanamo and I can't agree with him more. A place where people have no rights really makes no sense to me. Where do you stand here?
For a major democracy that purports to safeguard human rights and liberties, a facility like Guantanamo that is run with tax payers money is such a major blot in the American international arena.In light of the recent revelations of what the terror suspects endure while in detention,it would be imperative to close the facility without further delay.

kd3pc

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
5 0 0
Country
USA
Methinks there is confusion of calling these folks criminals, when in fact they are captured soldiers and or prisoners of War. Seldom does any country grant the same rights, their citizens may have, to others. There is a separate process that the US uses to adjudicate prisoners of war, see tribunal; however, as a nation, we do not have the will to pursue that process. Thus it has become a political match.

Even worse is what a captured American endures, when held, and used as a pawn to persuade.