Japan ramps up military budget to ward off China | World Defense

Japan ramps up military budget to ward off China

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Everywhere there are tensions. Is WW3 brewing?

Japan ramps up military budget to ward off China | News | DW.DE | 14.01.2015
"The government of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe approved a 2.8 percent rise in defense spending on Wednesday, with Tokyo seeking to bolster defenses in its waters bordering China.

"The situation around Japan is changing," Defense Minister Gen Nakatani said on Sunday. "The level of defense spending reflects the amount necessary to protect Japan's air, sea, and land, and guard the lives and property of our citizens."

The draft budget included 4.98 trillion yen ($42 billion, 35 billion euros) for items including planes, naval vessels, and other combat vehicles to guard waters.

"This is the largest budget ever," one ministry official told the AFP news agency. The highest allocation previously, he said, was 4.96 trillion yen earmarked in 2002.

It is the third year in succession that Japanese defense spending has risen, though Tokyo has previously maintained a relatively low military profile. The trend reflects Abe's wish to build a more active military amid rising tensions with China.

Small islands, big dispute

In particular, the two countries have revived a decades-long spat over the sovereignty of a group of islands in the East China Sea. Relations between Beijing and Tokyo have become increasingly strained over the rocks, known as the Senkaku Islands, in Japan and the Diaoyu Islands in China.

Much of Tokyo's spending will go to orders with US firms. Troop-carrying Boeing Co Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft are on the shopping list, along with Northrop Grumman surveillance drones and Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth fighters.

Japan's defense ministry is also set to buy 30 units of amphibious vehicles and an early-warning aircraft, to be assigned to protect fringe areas.

Another chunk of funding will be used to relocate US troops away from their current base on the main island of Okinawa.

rc/bk (AFP, AP, Reuters)"

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
The increase in Japanese military spending is troubling, but very understandable considering the high tensions and the numerous potential conflicts in the era. However, the Japanese economy seems to be in shambles with no clear sign of recovery. I hope they can afford this increase without jeopardizing their financial situation, and by extension, world markets.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
I think that the whole base of this conflict is because of a meaningless island right? I don't think it's wise from Japan to mess with China to be honest...

Falcon29

THINK TANK
Reactions
1,042 14 0
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
$42 billion for such a small country...wow....this budget is double budget of nations such as Turkey or Israel. Japan has well developed weapons systems and maintenance. So it's a shocking number. Saudi Arabia's budget isn't shocking because Saudi Arabia has just begun beginning of stage of forming modern military. They are behind in every aspect so they need to first purchase weapons. Over time they will have their own maintenance, radars, training, production, etc....

Then I'm sure they could lower the budget to 50$ billion perhaps.

I think that the whole base of this conflict is because of a meaningless island right? I don't think it's wise from Japan to mess with China to be honest...

I believe several islands but dispute is over the waters because of natural gas or something along those lines...China also claims historical right/link to them.

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
Philippines
Japan has been silent for many years, decades, but that doesn't mean that their power has declined. In history, only Japan was able to recover and gain power and economic stability in the shortest time, only 10 years, after the world war 2, despite the damages. I don't think that the Chinese government can defeat China. Japanese despite its silence still remains among the world's superpower. They have the determination like that of Russia and openness to new ideas like that of US. China only has determination to be isolated.

petesede

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
Probably a bad move to be doing this considering the state of their economy. It will be interesting to see what they are buying and from whom.

zenfive

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Switzerland
It is interesting that they have approved such a huge budget, I understand that tensions are high, but what are the chances that there's going to be a big scale conflict between two of the world's biggest and most important economies. I think it would be very detrimental to both if that would happen, I mean just look at whats happened to the Rouble from all the sanctions and the uncertainty, and their not even involved in a full scale (country to country) conflict.

However, one could also argue that it might be understandable in the light of the rumors about North Korea having developed nuclear weapons capabilities, so I can understand why Japan would be worried. But at the same time, as others have mentioned, their economy really isn't in a good place, and hasn't been for many years, so is spending that much money really a good idea at this point.

Onionman

Reactions
9 0 0
Country
Hong Kong
Age-old poor relations between these two countries aren't going to change overnight, regardless of any economic benefit you would see if the two countries got closer. Memories are still fresh from WW2 and before, so tensions will remain the same. But that fact that Japan is now becoming more keen on raising its military might, counter to its anti-militarily constitution, is a bit worrying.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
$42 billion for such a small country...wow....this budget is double budget of nations such as Turkey or Israel. Japan has well developed weapons systems and maintenance. So it's a shocking number. Saudi Arabia's budget isn't shocking because Saudi Arabia has just begun beginning of stage of forming modern military. They are behind in every aspect so they need to first purchase weapons. Over time they will have their own maintenance, radars, training, production, etc....

Then I'm sure they could lower the budget to 50$ billion perhaps.

I believe several islands but dispute is over the waters because of natural gas or something along those lines...China also claims historical right/link to them.

China is a huge country, but that doesn't give them the right to boss around smaller countries. Japan is not Hong Kong, so I think they should really reach an agreement about the Senkaku islands.

Muthoni

Reactions
5 0 0
Country
Kenya
It takes a greater man to walk away instead of stay to fight a battle that cannot be won. It is the saddest thing to hear that Japan is prepared to fight china over land that will remain when citizens die in battle. When will human beings learn the importance of life? is there any hope for mankind that they will choose the greater good and live in peace?

xTinx

Reactions
67 0 0
Country
Philippines
It takes a greater man to walk away instead of stay to fight a battle that cannot be won. It is the saddest thing to hear that Japan is prepared to fight china over land that will remain when citizens die in battle. When will human beings learn the importance of life? is there any hope for mankind that they will choose the greater good and live in peace?
I think there has been some misunderstanding here. Yes, Japan is preparing to fight China - but only in the event the latter starts attacking. That doesn't mean Japan will be the aggressor. Did you know that Japan's forces were crippled after World War II by the United States? Their military was reduced to self-defense. Unfortunately, times have changed and a neighbor's suddenly puffing its chest like a proud rooster just because of its newfound economic prowess. Now's not the time for Japan to just rest on its laurels. Still, dignified as those people are, they won't resort to underhanded tactics. They'll strike only after China struck first.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal

Well said Muthoni, but Japan can't walk away from it that easily as well because if they do in a few years China might want something more, if you know what I mean.

kittyworker

Reactions
17 0 0
Country
USA
For a long time Japan has been dependent on the US for protection. Their defense force has become more vocal as of late though asking to get out of this arrangement. I would say that it helps the US quite a bit as there wont be as much need to US troops there if Japan is able to muster up their own. Its been 70 years since the end of World War 2, its about time they take their defense into their own hands once again.

Peninha

Reactions
13 1 0
Country
Portugal
Japan is a member of NATO, so it's pretty much untouchable, China knows that they can't touch Japan or else they are facing a world war. That was the issue with Ukraine, they don't belong to NATO or else Russia wouldn't have touched them.