Japan signed its largest defense budget for 2016/17 | World Defense

Japan signed its largest defense budget for 2016/17

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Japan signed its largest defense budget for 2016/17

Japan's defense budget will grow 1.5 percent next year and top 5 trillion yen ($41.4 billion) for the first time, driven by costs for U.S. base relocation and growing personnel expenses, the government's draft budget showed on Thursday.

Prime Minister Shinzo Abe (right) and his deputy and finance minister, Taro Aso.
Read More

World Defence News: Japan signed its largest defense budget for 2016/17

Jeff Y.

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Shinzo Abe has begun militarizing Japan again. First he passes a constitutional amendment to allow for a greater overseas presence (Japanese lawmakers OK greater overseas role for military - CNN.com), and now he is increasing the military budget.

Granted, all of this should be taken with a grain of salt. 1) The increase, though it is a record, is still a paltry amount. As a percentage of GDP, it is at 1%, the same as in prior years. The US spends almost 5% of its GDP on the military. 2) $41 billion means Japan will be the 7th biggest spender, the same position as in years past.

Given China's increased military presence in the South China Seas, and Japan's lackluster economic recovery, perhaps Abe is aiming for increased nationalism to offset poor economic conditions.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Well, we all should probably know what is causing this increase in defense spending by the Japanese Government. The actions of the Chinese Government in recent times is making all the Nations in that area quite jittery, because of China is seeking to be the dominant power broker in that region, and we also know that there is no love lost between the two nations because Japan had tried to dominate China in the past.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I say they can be very dangerous if they want to. It seems that Japanese people are the best in whatever they do or they plan to do. Anyway, it is very interesting that they are being militarized again. Considering the fact they have the best discipline I believe they are born to be soldiers. I have no idea why now but if I have to guess I'd have to say that they just want to give the impression in this period of turmoil that nobody should mess with them at this point. It may be triggered by ISIS attacks and the tactics are good if you ask me.