Kuwait – Fast Patrol Boats

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Kuwait – Fast Patrol Boats

Transmittal No: 17-56
WASHINGTON, FEB. 20, 2018 - The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Kuwait of fast patrol boats for an estimated cost of $100 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.

The Government of Kuwait has requested to purchase fifteen (15) fast patrol boats outfitted with thirty-six (36) .50 caliber machine guns (thirty (30) installed, two (2) per boat and six (6) spares). This request also includes support equipment, personnel training and training equipment, U.S. Government and contractor engineering, technical and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistical and program support. The estimated total case value is $100 million.

This proposed sale will contribute to the foreign and national security of the United States by improving the security of a friendly country. Kuwait plays a key role in U.S. efforts to advance stability in the Middle East, providing basing, access, and transit of U.S. forces in the region.

Kuwait intends to use the boats for patrol, interdiction, and maritime protection. These boats will help Kuwait develop and maintain a strong and ready self-defense capability. Kuwait will have no difficulty absorbing this equipment into its armed forces.

The proposed sale of this equipment and support will not alter the basic military balance in the region.

The prime contractor will be Kvichak (a Vigor Company), Kent, Washington. There are no known offset agreements proposed in connection with this potential sale.

Implementation of this proposed sale will require multiple trips by U.S. Government and contractor representatives to participate in program and technical reviews plus training and maintenance support in country, on a temporary basis, for a period of twenty-four (24) months. It will also require three (3) contractor representatives to reside in country for a period of two (2) years to support this program.

There will be no adverse impact on U.S. defense readiness as a result of this proposed sale.

This notice of a potential sale is required by law and does not mean the sale has been concluded.

http://dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/kuwait-fast-patrol-boats

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Any country with a coastline can never have too many of these. This is a running battle between me and @jbgt90, whom I would like to convince that now the Indian Navy needs to fill the gaps that it has in its order of battle, with few or no light ships or boats either for inshore work. The Coast Guard is insufficient, and another (outer) layer, such boats, and inner layer, of police patrolling in coastal waters, inshore from the Coast Guard, and backed by maritime provinces' marine police stations, will provide the right 'insulation' from criminals and terrorists (Kashmir has no coastline, so I am using the word 'terrorist' without apprehensions.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Any country with a coastline can never have too many of these. This is a running battle between me and @jbgt90, whom I would like to convince that now the Indian Navy needs to fill the gaps that it has in its order of battle, with few or no light ships or boats either for inshore work. The Coast Guard is insufficient, and another (outer) layer, such boats, and inner layer, of police patrolling in coastal waters, inshore from the Coast Guard, and backed by maritime provinces' marine police stations, will provide the right 'insulation' from criminals and terrorists (Kashmir has no coastline, so I am using the word 'terrorist' without apprehensions.

Have a look at Baynunah Class Corvettes, capable of 32kts+, ideal for Littoral combat.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/baynunah/

https://world-defense.com/threads/uae-armed-forces.17/post-32518

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Have a look at Baynunah Class Corvettes, capable of 32kts+, ideal for Littoral combat.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/baynunah/

https://world-defense.com/threads/uae-armed-forces.17/post-32518

@jbgt90

We discussed this. Can we use this as a starting point to gather data? A 32 knot corvette is moving pretty fast; only very high-powered engines on a full-displacement boat of around 100 tons or a double- or triple-hull, or an air-cushion vehicle, all with potentially 40 knot speeds, can beat this, and at hull displacements (=weapons loads) that are one-third or less that of a corvette.

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
@jbgt90

We discussed this. Can we use this as a starting point to gather data? A 32 knot corvette is moving pretty fast; only very high-powered engines on a full-displacement boat of around 100 tons or a double- or triple-hull, or an air-cushion vehicle, all with potentially 40 knot speeds, can beat this, and at hull displacements (=weapons loads) that are one-third or less that of a corvette.

Check this out 45kts+
http://www.janes.com/article/49514/ghannatha-vessels-delivered-idx15d4

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
You are truly a master of your profession. My sincere respects.
Thank You.

12 were new builds, and 12 were overhauled and upgraded. Total 24 boats for US$274m,

Joe Shearer

Reactions
899 65 0
Country
India
Thank You.

12 were new builds, and 12 were overhauled and upgraded. Total 24 boats for US$274m,

Yes, I read it through carefully.

It is curious and very significant that the overhauled hulls were equipped with 120 mm mortars (six hulls) and with Quick Firing 27mm guns, clearly for on-shore fire support. When I dug deeper, the battalion sized Marine detachment emerged as obvious clients. What uses they might have in the on-going Yemen conflict is not known; possibly some of these littoral command craft might have had a part in the blockade.

The stretched, new hulls were interesting in being completely sea control vessels.

In other words, these boats are both inward-facing, useful for amphibious operation support, or for offshore indictment, and outward facing, forcing any sea-borne offensive to take them into serious account. Almost same hull, two different orientations, with speeds allowing them to cover wide expanses of sea or land. No tonnage was included anywhere, but my guess is that these are between 300 to 600 tons each, the stretch versions being slightly heavier than the originals - well below corvette standards, but very suitable for missile boats or for these novel on-shore support vessels (at the beginning of the twentieth century, the mortar carrying boats would might have been classified as 'monitors').