Lying in the military is common | World Defense

Lying in the military is common

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Makes me wonder how many lies we've been told and actually believed because the media itself hardly ever embraces the truth.

Lying in the military is common, Army War College study says - The Washington Post

A new study by Army War College professors found that not only is lying common in the military, the armed forces themselves may be inadvertently encouraging it.

The study, released Tuesday, was conducted by retired Army officers and current War College professors Leonard Wong and Stephen J. Gerras. They found that untruthfulness is “surprisingly common in the U.S. military even though members of the profession are loath to admit it.”

The paper’s release follows a series of high-profile incidents involving bad behavior across the services, including a still-widening corruption case involving senior Navy officers and at least two incidents in which Army generals were accused of sexual assault.

The new study found that many Army officers have become “ethically numb” in the face of overwhelming demands and the need to put their reputations on the line to verify that all required standards and training requirements have been met.

The issue affects the whole military, but the professors focused their effort on the Army because they are the most familiar with it, they wrote. They interviewed scores of officers, from captains to colonels, at several bases on the East Coast, many of whom bristled initially at the notion they colored the truth, the report said.

“When pressed for specifics on how they managed, officers tended to dodge the issue with statements such as, ‘You gotta make priorities, we met the intent, or we got creative,’ ” the report said. “Eventually words and phrases such as ‘hand waving, fudging, massaging, or checking the box’ would surface to sugarcoat the hard reality that, in order to satisfy compliance with the surfeit of directed requirements from above, officers resort to evasion and deception.”

“In other words, in the routine performance of their duties as leaders and commanders, U.S. Army officers lie,” the paper concludes.

Similar issues occur when reporting the maintenance and accountability of equipment, the completion of evaluation reports for lower-ranking officers, and even combat situations in Iraq and Afghanistan, the professors found. Junior leaders were required to develop a PowerPoint narrative of events in a unit while deployed, and avoided doing so, one senior officer told Wong and Gerras.

“Every contact with the enemy required a storyboard,” the senior officer said, according to the paper. “People did not report enemy contact because they knew the storyboard was useless and they didn’t want to go through the hassle.”

The study attributes the lies to “ethical fading,” in which outside factors subtly alter an ethical dilemma. The professors recommend reinforcing restraint and acknowledging ethical shortfalls in the military.

The issue has been addressed at high levels already. In one example, Army Gen. Chief of Staff Raymond T. Odierno released an ethics “white paper” last year underscoring the need to uphold strong values like honesty.

“This White Paper identifies an omission in our doctrine – the absence of an articulated, accessible, and understandable expression of the Army Ethic,” Odierno said in the document, released last July. “The Army Ethic does exist and emanates from our foundational heritage, beliefs, traditions, and culture. The intent, therefore, is not to invent the Army Ethic, but rather to glean its fundamental nature. Doing so is of urgent importance and is worthy of our collective wisdom and judgment.”

timelord731

Reactions
4 0 0
Country
USA
If you can kill people and be unaffected by it, then it's no stretch that you have a higher capability to lie.

Uncle Doc J

Reactions
11 0 0
Country
USA
"Everything you hear" is a l-- ... well, a 'myth.' It's not "true" or "false" until you judge it as-such.

drc65

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
Lying and manipulation have been proven to be part of most healthy adults psychology. I think it is more of a question how these lies influence other people, in this case it's certainly detrimental. Additionally there is a diffusion of responsibility in many structures in place in the world today, in the military this certainly applies.

vegito12

Reactions
41 0 0
Country
New Zealand
I reckon that the lie will catch up if in battle a person loses their life when they claim to be a person who has fought in many battles and also trying t0 be a hero. This can cause distrust in the army and also the common people will be upset that this is occuring and will lose faith in them and people will rebel as well. The lies will catch up one day, and also it will affect them if people decide to desert the army and also confusions occur and they have rebellion inside the army as well.

Rebel

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
19 1 0
Country
USA
The new study found that many Army officers have become “ethically numb” in the face of overwhelming demands and the need to put their reputations on the line to verify that all required standards and training requirements have been met

Officers with huge egos are nothing new. I just don't see how these people somehow represent the military when most of the military is made up of enlisted members. Now the enlisted are not perfect either but they don't have that officer reputation of arrogance. I worked with many officers being a surgical technician. Some of my surgeons we're Colonels about to take on the rank of General. I worked with good ones and I've worked with bad ones. It really just depends on the person.

kana_marie

Reactions
45 0 0
Country
USA
I was in AFJROTC for 4 years. That's nothing like the real thing, and we lied. For the program to stay open each year you have to pass inspection. There's so much on the line, and such strict standards that isn't a question of lying or not lying... It's doing what has to be done. And that's just in a high school program. I can't imagine the standards and the pressure in the services... Especially right now. Anyway, as long as they kill all the right people, why would the government care?