20200408-214030s2h3neb0mo9o0hvf.jpg
20200408-EVJkggCUEAY3Pr4-750x555.jpg

Salza

BANNED
Reactions
464 0 0
Country
Pakistan
Ary news was reporting just a while back that Army chief attended 'handover ceremony' of Al Khalid tank at Heavy Industries Taxila.

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Rheinmetall from Germany unveils new Main Battle Tank MBT with 130mm cannon

On July 31, 2020, Rheinmetall broadcasted a video showing a new main battle tank, fitted with new armor and a 130mm gun. Rheinmetall’s 130 mm smoothbore technology for main battle tanks (MBT) embodies a significant lethality leap in times of more sophisticated protection systems and increasing threats. Combined with a state-of-the-art auto-loader, this system is the latest evolvement in Rheinmetall’s, MBT. Update: The new tank seems to be based on the British Challenger 2 MBT This could be a possible future replacement for the British Challenger 2 MBT and/or possibly the German Leapord 2 MBT. It would also not be a bad replacement for Canada's aging fleet of Leapord 2 A4 MBTs as well.

Besides a new shape of the hull front and turret, which leads to assume that the armor is also an upgrade of what characterizes the current versions of the Leopard 2, the main feature is the tank’s new 130mm gun. The video released on July 31, 2020, by Rheinmetall is really impressive on this point.

UPDATE: According to a second analysis, the new tank unveiled by Rheinmetall seems to be based on a Challenger 2 MBT. The Challenger is in service with the British Army. At the InternationalDefense Exhibition held in London on September, Rheinmetall unveiled details of its proposal for the Challenger 2 Life Extension Programme (LEP).

At Eurosatory 2016, the German company Rheinmetall unveiled its new 130mm/L51 gun to counter new Russian combat vehicles based on the Armata heavy tracked platform. Prompted by initial considerations for a future MBT, Rheinmetall's Weapons and Ammunition division launched a company-financed 130mm demonstrator program in 2015 to confirm the anticipated significant increase in performance against modern threats.

The new Rheinmetall 130mm/L51 is a new upgrade component for the Leopard 2 main battle tank. At Eurosatory 2016, Rheinmetall was presenting concepts aiming at enhancing the firepower of present and future main battle tanks.

This 130mm/L51 weighs (without mounting components) 3 tons, while the current barrel length is 6,630 mm. A Leopard 2 successor would thus be capable of successfully engaging better-protected opponents in duel situations at longer ranges with superior firepower. According to Rheinmetall MBT’s development road map, the gun will also be used in the new Main Ground Combat System (MGCS) being developed by Rheinmetall. Officials from the company said that the increase of the caliber to 130 mm enhances the gun`s armor-piercing capability by half.

To complement the new weapon, Rheinmetall is developing a new 130 mm armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding sabot (APFSDS) round with elongated rod penetrator, which is supposed to be made of a new tungsten alloy. The new APFSDS round also features a semi-combustible cartridge case and new propellant.

Rheinmetall is intending to develop a new 130 mm high-explosive air-bursting (HE AB) round that is planned to replace DM11 HE AB round, which is fired by Rheinmetall`s 120 mm L/44 and L/55 tank guns. According to the company`s representatives, both APFSDS and HE ABM rounds will be in high demand on the global arms market. The new gun will be able to eliminate the Russian T-14 Armata MBT and T-15 heavy infantry fighting vehicles (HIFV), they pointed out.

The new Rheinmetall Main Battle Tank MBT with its new armor and 130mm gun (Picture source: screenshot of Rheinmetall's video broadcasted on July 31, 2020)

Last edited:

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Hi Khafee! Good to hear from you again! Looks like an awsome MBT, and would be a great upgrade to our Leapoard 2 tanks which are getting "long-in-the-tooth". I especially like the automatic load feature.:)

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Hi Khafee! Good to hear from you again! Looks like an awsome MBT, and would be a great upgrade to our Leapoard 2 tanks which are getting "long-in-the-tooth". I especially like the automatic load feature.:)
People forget, that the biggest advantage of auto loaders, is that they can empty all the shells in the MBT by continuously pounding the same spot indefinitely, while on the move. ‘∞‘

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
I always thought that a gun, was a gun. Most military guns at least, have a semi-auto and full auto capability. Just thought this gun would be able to do the same? *-*

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
I always thought that a gun, was a gun. Most military guns at least, have a semi-auto and full auto capability. Just thought this gun would be able to do the same? *-*
In terms of assault rifles full auto means press trigger once and potentially empty your magazine in one go. Semi auto requires you to pull the trigger every time you want to shoot (or 3 round burst). The ammunition on the other hand is loaded automatically in both cases using gas/recoil in most cases.
Auto loader in tanks does that. It eliminates the 4th person from the crew and makes sure a new shot is available to the gunner/commander on demand.
I would assume we now have AI based models that suggests which type of round to use against available targets (APFSDS vs HE vs HEAT) and load appropriate round thus minimizing time (load to shoot).

GRANNY001

Professional
Reactions
289 25 0
Country
Canada
Thanks Gripen9 for that "insightful" info. Of course!! Makes sense now. Me being a stupid ex-sailor know nothing about big guns! Loaders are loaders either auto or manual. On the other hand, I was stupidly thinking that full auto ment full rapid fire as well. How dumb can one get!! Please forgive this "stupid" sailor?>>_*

Khafee

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
24,463 1,293 0
Thanks Gripen9 for that "insightful" info. Of course!! Makes sense now. Me being a stupid ex-sailor know nothing about big guns! Loaders are loaders either auto or manual. On the other hand, I was stupidly thinking that full auto ment full rapid fire as well. How dumb can one get!! Please forgive this "stupid" sailor?>>_*
Dear Madam,

No need to apologize, we all are here to learn. The following videos should give you a good idea, about loaders / auto loaders and tanks in general.

Gripen9

THINK TANK
Reactions
5,232 245 0
Country
Pakistan
I would assume naval guns have the same auto loader. I have seen those 5in guns fire shells are a very quick rate.