Malaysia to arm Sea Kings in response to Islamic State threat

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
Dzirhan Mahadzir, Kuala Lumpur - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
22 January 2015
Malaysian defence minister Hishammuddin Tun Hussein announced on 23 January that the Royal Malaysian Air Force's (RMAF's) Sikorsky S-61A-4 Sea King helicopters would be armed and that Royal Brunei Air Force (RBAF) S-70A Black Hawks would be transferred to RMAF service.

In a statement released in conjunction with a three-day working visit to East Malaysia to see the readiness of the military units stationed there, Hishammuddin said the helicopters would be armed to combat elements of the banned Darul Iman militant group, which were known to be in the east coast area of the East Malaysian state of Sabah.

Intelligence reports indicated that the group had targeted the area as a suitable place to expand Islamic State ideology and that several Philippine armed groups had also expressed their support for the Islamic State, he said.

Malaysia to arm Sea Kings in response to Islamic State threat - IHS Jane's 360

jeremy2

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
Kenya
The people of Malaysia have every right to defend themselves and to take precautionary measures to defend it's people. In light of what the IS has managed to do in Syria and other states,it would be prudent for Nations that are easy targets for IS militants to take whatever steps to safeguard their interests.

freeofcharge

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
The people of Malaysia have every right to defend themselves and to take precautionary measures to defend it's people. In light of what the IS has managed to do in Syria and other states,it would be prudent for Nations that are easy targets for IS militants to take whatever steps to safeguard their interests.

I wholeheartedly agree. The people of Malaysia are in no way in the wrong here. IS is a real threat, it's easy to look at this from a third party perspective and be critical of how the nations of the surrounding area are handling the situation but I back Malaysia 100% on this

UAE

Reactions
929 11 0
Country
USA
What I would love to see is a collective effort form the Muslim countries against ISIS. Muslims should establish a united army to deal with all issues that threaten them.

globulon

Reactions
18 0 0
Country
Canada
This is a prudent move in light of the IS threat and I wish Malaysia the best of luck. It is best to prepare preemptively rather than wait until the militants are on their doorstep. I only hope that these moves are enough when the time comes.