Matamoros Becomes Ground Zero...Mexican Drug War | World Defense

Matamoros Becomes Ground Zero...Mexican Drug War

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
I used to go across the international border to Matamoros, Mexico frequently, for dinner and shopping. The products were colorful, the food delicious, and the people friendly, although of course there were always those who would take advantage, if given the chance. I always felt bad for those who begged on the streets, but there are homeless in every city and nation. It was obvious that many of the citizens were proud of their city and country, and were good, hard working people. I hate seeing the hell hole the area and country as a whole have been turned into, due to the cartels and drug wars. I don't know how the citizens feel, but I think they would be better off if the international community addressed this issue, because it is not going away, and is in fact escalating.

Matamoros Becomes Ground Zero As Drug War Shifts On Mexican Border : Parallels : NPR

Jason76

Reactions
3 0 0
Country
USA
At the very least, the USA could legalize cannabis nationwide. That would stop the cartels somewhat. However, it's debateable whether or not other drugs should be legalized, considering thier dangerous and often deadly effect on people. However, laws can only do so much. At some point, the people themselves need to lower the demand. However, that argument's been going on since the 1970s.

Diane Lane

Reactions
70 0 0
Country
USA
At the very least, the USA could legalize cannabis nationwide. That would stop the cartels somewhat. However, it's debateable whether or not other drugs should be legalized, considering thier dangerous and often deadly effect on people. However, laws can only do so much. At some point, the people themselves need to lower the demand. However, that argument's been going on since the 1970s.

I think it's been going on much longer than that, but I do think the rhetoric has escalated since the 1960s or 1970s, as you mentioned. I'm not in favor of legalization, because I believe drugs to be harmful. I've seen many families decimated by drug (and/or alcohol) use. Even if marijuana were legalized, the cartels are pushing more than just marijuana, and I think it will take more than everything Mexico has to take care of the situation, which is why I think it's going to end up being an international effort.

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
Pardon me for this cynical question but what can the international community do to put things in order in Mexico. The drug problem is a menace that can only be solved by eradicating the drug production and trade. In the Philippines, so many drug laboratories have been discovered but no substantial arrest have been made. The most they can show are the Chinese who don't speak English. Would you believe that aliens like that can establish a drug laboratory in a foreign country? My take on the drug industry is the connection with the authorities in the government.

OursIsTheFury

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
2 0 0
Country
Philippines
Yeah, drugs and the idea to make millions will bring out the worse in people. They kill, destroy, and damage anything in their path just so they could get their money at the end of the line. It's a terrible thing to watch, but these things happen all the time in many places around the world.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
The Mexican drug problem should be solved with an approach that starts with the govt itself because some security agencies are involved in intricate webs of corruption. This ensures the gangs continued brutal efficiency. The Zetas drug was formed by a commando unit which deserted service.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
This is a problem for the Mexican Government to resolve and if they can't seem do it on their own, they should seek international help. However it seems that theses cartels have become the local government in the cities that they occupy and the Mexican Government is helpless in gaining control over these areas. Probably corrupt officials and fear of these cartels are the major sources behind them being so powerful.