Merkel dismisses U.S. request for more military help against Islamic State | World Defense

Merkel dismisses U.S. request for more military help against Islamic State

Redheart

Reactions
319 0 0
Country
USA
Merkel dismisses U.S. request for more military help against Islamic State| Reuters

Chancellor Angela Merkel on Sunday brushed off what a Germany magazine said was a request from the United States to provide more military help in the fight against Islamic State.

"I believe Germany is fulfilling its part and we don't need to talk about new issues related to this question at the moment," Merkel told the ZDF broadcaster when asked about the Der Spiegel magazine report of the U.S. request.

Der Spiegel reported on Saturday that U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter had sent a letter asking for a bigger military contribution from Germany, a week after parliament approved a plan to join the campaign in Syria.

A German Defense Ministry spokesman confirmed a letter had been received from the United States and its content was under consideration, giving no further details.

Der Spiegel said the letter did not make specific demands and was similar to requests sent to other U.S. partners.

Germany's mission includes six Tornado reconnaissance jets, a frigate to protect the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, refueling aircraft and up to 1,200 troops.

The deployment is a direct response to a French appeal for solidarity after militant attacks in Paris killed 130 people. Germany does not plan to carry out air strikes in Syria.

Germany has over the past two years shown a growing readiness to commit troops to foreign missions.

Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen said last week Germany might need bigger armed forces to cope with the more assertive role.

More than 3,000 personnel are currently deployed overseas and the Syria mission will raise that by up to 1,200. Von der Leyen also wants to send 650 troops to Mali to help the French campaign against Islamist militants there.

Germany last year started arming Iraqi Kurds fighting Islamic State.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really happy with her at the moment and this news does little to change the way I think of her.

It's great that they have sent stuff that can aid those already attacking ISIS in Syria, but it would add a much more serious message if they even conducted small time air attacks against them. It's all about a united front stand-point.

jliggins2002

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
I do agree that we need to get them under control but every country does have the right to access how much help they can send. Germany has done alot in the help against Islamic State. Keep in mind Germany does not want them to become stronger either, and anything they can do "within their resources" I would think they would. They are taking the letter into consideration and I am sure will make the right decision so that we all can have that United Front @Susimi

Corzhens

Reactions
111 1 0
Country
Philippines
The French appeal for solidarity as part of the retaliation for the Paris attacks recently that claimed 130 lives. Now Germany is hesitant to provide more support to US in the deployment of troops in Syria. I cannot guess why Germany is now holding their horses. So it is clear that solidarity in Syria against the ISIS cannot be achieved and I'm sure that makes the ISIS happy with the extension of their tenure in Syria.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
It's that what worries me a lot. All this umming an ahhing and differing of opinions is showing ISIS that there are weaknesses which no doubt they will find a way to exploit in some way. There really needs to be a no-nonsense approach to this.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
With the Saudi newly formed Islamic military collation the US fight against ISIS might be become irrelevant.

djordjem87

Reactions
35 0 0
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
- I don't know what to say about this. I am not referring to the question made but rather to the posts underneath. We write here as if we know what is going on and although these are just our opinions and we have sole right to make them the transparency of current activity is non existing. All these marionettes like Merkel or Leyen respond to people we are never going to see. So why, when, how and who is going to stay in the domain of mystery to us. And, yes it is more like in some conspiracy movie or a TV show then what you think.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
With the Saudi newly formed Islamic military collation the US fight against ISIS might be become irrelevant.

It might but I can't really see the US pulling back from the fight for the time being, or even France for that matter because for them the fight is pretty personal.

Lieutenant

Administrator
Staff member
Reactions
2,409 25 0
It might but I can't really see the US pulling back from the fight for the time being, or even France for that matter because for them the fight is pretty personal.

A question was posed to the Saudi crown prince in a press conference held recently about the "Islamic collation" on whether they will be a coordination with the US/UN and the answer was no. That tells me that US os going to leave or will be asked to leave.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
A question was posed to the Saudi crown prince in a press conference held recently about the "Islamic collation" on whether they will be a coordination with the US/UN and the answer was no. That tells me that US os going to leave or will be asked to leave.

Interesting.

If the US pulls out or is asked to pull out, is it possible the same will happen with the other nations attacking ISIS?

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
She's practically trying to destroy Germany. It's hard to see it any other way, because every one of her actions is counter-intuitive to the needs of the German people. It's almost as if her and other select world leaders are trying to drive their own countries into the ground, to allow for things like a global caliphate to rise and replace them.

Reactions
8 0 0
Country
USA
She's practically trying to destroy Germany. It's hard to see it any other way, because every one of her actions is counter-intuitive to the needs of the German people. It's almost as if her and other select world leaders are trying to drive their own countries into the ground, to allow for things like a global caliphate to rise and replace them.
The weird part is that the Germans don't even seem that bothered by all this. I've seen some polls a few days ago suggesting her party has only decreased by 2.5% in voter preference. I'm not sure what would need to happen for Germany to stop being so committed to cultural suicide. I'm baffled about why they don't choose instead to help defeat ISIS and reduce the flow of people into Europe.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
The weird part is that the Germans don't even seem that bothered by all this. I've seen some polls a few days ago suggesting her party has only decreased by 2.5% in voter preference. I'm not sure what would need to happen for Germany to stop being so committed to cultural suicide. I'm baffled about why they don't choose instead to help defeat ISIS and reduce the flow of people into Europe.

Yes, I'm convinced that the government is controlling the polls on that and those numbers. I've seen photos and videos of German citizens rioting in the streets and burning down muslim mosques and refugee centers after their women were being raped and the citizens physically attacked by them. So it became clear when I saw those numbers and saw the videos, photos, and other things on facebook that the government is controlling the media and poll numbers to try and fool the outside world to think that the citizens support this. They do not.

When people are throwing molotovs and have spiked baseball bats roaming the streets in groups to fight invaders, that's a clear giveaway that they are not having it or supporting it.

Here's a link to one of the uncontrolled news articles on it out there: Thousands Flood The Streets In Germany As Fury Over Refugee Sex Assaults Reaches Boiling Point | Zero Hedge

djdefense

Reactions
32 2 0
Country
India
People ARE concerned. There are protests everyday in Germany. If you want to see them, you'll have to watch RT news, you know the Russian news channel. People are not happy with her, especially after what happened on New Year's eve.

rz3300

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
1 0 0
Country
USA
Well just like any story there is probably two side to it, and maybe three. These things seem to change on a daily basis too, so reading too much into it is really not the best idea. It would seem that the US is looking for help from anywhere that they can get it, but I do not think that it is them and nobody else. It is a coalition and Germany is involved, to what extent I am not sure.