Meteorite Defence | Page 2 | World Defense

Meteorite Defence

BLACKEAGLE

Reactions
1,989 10 0
Country
Jordan
I think it would be possible if the warheads of the A-A system were nuclear.

Coltodor

Reactions
2 0 0
Country
USA
The only group that mentioning this are mainly the LaRouchies. It sound like it a good idea until you start being pragmatic. There the cost and also the getting support from major politicians.

goldenmaine

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
USA
I'm no expert but the way I see it.
Most anti-air missiles have a warhead between 10 and 100kg and they are designed to destoy aircraft or incoming missiles. Both obviously are not exactly the toughest of targets. Meteorites that will not be burned up in the atmosphere are going to be pretty large chunks of rock. So without having any deeper knowledge of the subject I would say that a regular anti-air missile won't do much, especially since the explosion would be on the surface (or in a lot of cases in the proximity of the surface) of the target.
I see. So regular missiles won't do. I was able to find something that Russia calls the "Satan" missile which are specifically for "small space objects." Here is the link:

Russian scientist wants 'Satan' missile shield to shoot down meteorites in wake of Urals strike | Daily Mail Online

This might be what xTinx in post number 11 is talking about regarding the 2013 meteorite crash.

There is hope! Lol.

Reactions
40 1 0
Country
Euro
Yes there is definitely hope! The main problem with meteorites is detecting them way before they arrive so we have time to prepare.
But yes the technology is definitely there, all we need is to put the different pieces into one system. The Russians seem to be doing it and I guess as BlackEagle said using nuclear warheads in conventional missiles could do the trick, especially with a delayed fuse so the explosion would only behind once the warhead has penetrated inside the meteorite.

Benoit W

NEW RECRUIT
Reactions
0 0 0
Country
Canada
Еаrly wаrning is imроrtаnt bесаusе it inсrеаsеs thе сhаnсе оf bеing аblе tо dеflесt а thrеаtеning аstеrоid оnсе it is fоund. If а sрасесrаft struсk аn аstеrоid 5 оr 10 yеаrs bеfоrе thе rосk wаs duе tо hit Еаrth, а slight оrbitаl аltеrnаtiоn shоuld bе еnоugh tо mаkе it раss Еаrth by; if thе аstеrоid wаsn’t dеtесtеd sооn еnоugh, еvасuаting thе imрасt zоnе mаy bе thе оnly орtiоn аvаilаblе.

remnant

Reactions
8 1 0
Country
Kenya
I think a meteorite is a large enough rock to be broken up by a normal missile. First, the missile has to be programmed into outer space where the meteorite is massive in size because air friction on its trajectory towards the earth will burn it and fragment it. What if a huge portion survives? I suppose a tactical nuclear missile would do the job.

Susimi

Reactions
55 0 0
Country
United Kingdom
The USA used an F-15 aircraft as the platform to launch an anti-satalite weapon with success at some point in recent years, so maybe that sort of idea is going to be the thing against meteorite defence? Laser weaponry is also being seriously looked at and I can see this being used in the event.

silentwarfare

Reactions
13 0 0
Country
USA
Not sure of any missles that do, but didn't Russia and the US jointly do a space program to launch a large laser that gathers a large amount of power from the sun and can be positioned to fire at any approaching meteorites or other bodies that threaten the Earth?

I doubt a missile or projectile of physical mass would be large enough or have enough striking power to completely stop a large meteorite from hitting the surface. A laser yes, but would require several fires to make sure it would not hit the Earth. A projectile doesn't always hit the target, and something that large not being successful would be catastrophic, even if landing in the ocean rather than over land. Best to use a laser.

Another approach would be to move something else in front of it as a shield or with enough power to destroy it on its own, like shifting the gravitational force to throw it into a star instead of the Earth, which would work too.

explorerx7

Reactions
37 1 0
Country
Jamaica
Is this system necessary? How often is there threats from meterorites? The danger with tis venture is that it could smash the meteorites in to smaller pieces ansd scatter over a wider area which could cause more widespread damage.